Judo Throws in MMA

Discussion in 'Judo' started by TsukinoKage, Sep 21, 2005.

1. TsukinoKage

TsukinoKage New Member

I've studied Judo before. Currently I am taking Brazilian Ju Jitsu and Muay Thai, but I would like to brush up on my throw skills (rather than just the standard double leg takedown).

Based on your experience, what are some high percentage/most useful throws in a MMA setting?

Obviously a double leg takedown (whatever you call that in Japanese) and a few Ouchi Gari's here and there, but what about others?

I am partial to hip throws, so what variation do you think might work best against another mixed striker/grappler?

Any replies will be greatly appreciated :) !

2. Teryan

Teryan Valued Member

being a white belt, and not having much experence in it, I was told that all the throws that were done wiht a gi could be done from the clinch.... From what I have practicted that is true, but it takes a little modication.

3. Linguo

Linguo Valued Member

Karo Parisyian has some nice no gi judo throws. He also has a DVD about judo throws in MMA. Ones that I've seen in MMA with some modest success include Uchi Mata, Ouchie and Kouchi gari, and Hiza Garuma. For Hip throws, Koshi garuma or harai goshi seem to work pretty well in an MMA setting.

4. fanatical

fanatical Cool crow

Tani-otoshi.

5. TsukinoKage

TsukinoKage New Member

:D I just pulled an Uchimata against someone in Muay Thai!

It went:

Clinch -> Twist -> Sweeped -> Mount

Yay!

6. Marote-gari :)

7. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Morote gari ;)

Which is a little bit different from a wrestlers double leg shoot :)

8. TsukinoKage

TsukinoKage New Member

Yeah, I believe both your knees aren't allowed to drop to the ground (it doesn't count as Ippon).

No matter, unless you're in a Judo match.

9. TsukinoKage

TsukinoKage New Member

Also, what do you think in the gi- vs. no gi- aspect in MMA?

Obviously the grips would change and holds would be altered, but how does this affect the usefullness and dynamics of certain techniques?

10. pmitch89

pmitch89 Thats Nucking Futs!!

The make up of a good deal of judo throws require a gi but there are ways to transfer the throws to MMA aspect. I did this for wrestling. You can always try a wrestling style hip toss which is similar to taiotoshi (body drop). All I know is there are ways to do them without the use of a gi because I use some judo throws in wrestling.

11. Nightstrike

Nightstrike MMA Nerd

Most sacrifice throws, trip throws, if you can figure out how to use underhooks and stuff with no gi training, most hip throws, uchi mata, drop seoi nage, harai goshi (IIRC),
    most work,you just gotta find the no gi adaptation

12. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

Osoto gari, harai goshi kosoto gari, o uchi gari. These are but some throws that would work in MMA. Watch karo parisyan fight. he does judo throws.

13. sony

sony Valued Member

one of the most popular judo competition throws (as it is quite simple) and probably one of the most likely to be useful in self-defense or mma (again because it is easy to pull off):eek: soto gari

14. Nightstrike

Nightstrike MMA Nerd

UMM...
    Yeah, but if they have any sort of tie collar clinch skills that would be REALLY difficult.

15. LiaoRouxin

LiaoRouxin Valued Member

O Soto gari is the one I've had the most luck with outside of a gi. Probably because it's my best Judo throw, but it also lends itself very nicely to the clinch game. One hand on the back of the head, one hand on the tricep and you've got a nice setup

16. Freeform

You can do O soto gari from a collar tie, in fact I was doing it there on Friday night.

17. Nightstrike

Nightstrike MMA Nerd

I never said you couldn't, or that it was impossible, it's just highly unlikely that on a wrestler like me with JJ training and experience in judo throws you'll get it, unless you have outstanding kuzushi skills...or alot bigger or stronger than me. (PS, i'm only saying this if your around my skill level..which would be equivilent to about a year and a half lol, i'm not doubting a good judoka couldn't get it on me), its just a wrestler usually has a REALLY tight tie up clinch.

18. Freeform

14 yrs JJJ/Judo and about 4 yrs of wrestling + BJJ ;)

19. Nightstrike

Nightstrike MMA Nerd

How do you do that then, just a duck under than the throw?
    Because how I'm viewing this is two people with equal control, and they both have the same distance from each other, i'm wondering, how in the world do you step PAST them if they are keeping distance FROM you?
    Or do you just break the clinch?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2006
  20. Kyouretsu

Kyouretsu New Member

There are so many ways to get that throw from a tight clinch...
    modify the throw slightly... pull them in your clinch towards the opposite side you are going to sweep... take a quick step to the side and switch your hip in slightly... sweep their leg while using your clinch to push them backwards.
    You don't have to be perfectly parallel to them when you sweep... you are talking MMA... not judo... so modify it to work for you. If you turn enough that you can get your "inside leg" to sweep their leg... it doesn't matter if you are sweeping their leg from totally behind them... or if you are sweeping it more from the side... commit to the sweep and make sure you are using your kazushi!