Judo + Taekwondo = Excellent combination?

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Sirasoni, Dec 9, 2005.

1. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

think about it, long range art (taekwondo) + close range art (judo) = both bases covered.

boxing is great but your still not learning how to kick properly, you need a kicking art in there

2. Alexander

Alexander Possibly insane.

If you want a complete all-round fighting ability then there is nothing wrong with that combination. However you may want to check out the various styles of TKD to see whats available - as some commentators argue, WTF TKD is more of a kicking sport than a martial art. However it does depend where its taught so check out all the schools in your area.

As an alternative compliment to Judo you might want to look into Kyokushin Karate.

3. Incredible Bulk

not so much grappling with karate though :confused:

4. philp

philp New Member

Anything you add to your TKD that involves grappling would be beneficial to your overall bases covered. However, as well as checking out Judo, have a look at some Japanese Jui-Jitsu and also BJJ. They might prove to be more effective in a no gi situation. I might be wrong, but lots of Judo techniques involve the use of gripping/holding onto your opponents gi. Granted, people in the streets wear clothing, but it's not nearly as easy to grip as a gi is.

JJJ - depending on where it's taught, may well teach you some weapons defence as well.

5. Incredible Bulk

not all throws involve grapping the Gi, many are based on leg sweeps, hip throws and using your arm has leverage rather than a lifting motion through the Gi

6. philp

philp New Member

Thanks for the correction. As I said, I thought I might be wrong :D

7. Incredible Bulk

:D i'd go for brazillian JJ if i had a club here myself

8. CraigM

CraigM Valued Member

People get hung up about this whole "judo has a gi and there is no gi on the street" thing. IMO its absolute rubbish. Judo teaches you body mechanics,weight displacement, how to manipulate someone in a clinch. Also the fact that there is no gi is a small detail. I have done randori with someone wearing everyday clothes and i got them in a standing hadakajime and also a katahajime (using their jacket) whilst they were kneeling.
    Your average joe on the street hasn't got a clue what to do when its up close they will go for some sort of push/grab. Anyone skilled in judo will slam their asses into the deck regardless of gi. If need be grab the trachea (throat) and the left arm and slam it through for osotogari.
    Taekwondo is not my art but from what i see its a good art. It wouldn't be my choice for self defence. To me self defence is all about awareness, reading body language,situational awareness and then drilling 3 or 4 explosive pre-emptive strikes to take the agressor out. Judo is a support system. As well as Judo i also train in Urban Combatives which is just that...urban street combat. Not an art.

At the end of the day any martial art is great for self defence but it is only as good as the person practicing it.

Craig

9. enclosed

enclosed New Member

Well I haven't read all the comments, so I hope I'm not essentially repeating what others have said, but when I saw a TKD match, the scoring system seemed dependant on strikes, and there was little progression when the two fighters got close to each other, until they seperated and started again. This appeared to me to be a gap, being a Judoka used to close fighting, and Judo would certainly fill this gap. But it's just something to consider.

10. Nettey04

Nettey04 Valued Member

I study both arts. I am a green belt in TKD and white in Judo. I love doing both MAs. I like the stricking in TKD. My instructor emphasizes the kicks as much as punches. He also teaches to throw knees and elbows while in the clinch. We work on ground fighting a little so I added Judo to get a better understanding of ground fighting as well as throws and submissons. The comdo of the 2 have been great. I would try it for a while see if you like it and if not keep looking for a better fit.

11. Alexander

Eh?

12. Incredible Bulk

meh?

13. Alexander

Sorry, I just didn't understand what you meant.

14. Incredible Bulk

I meant there was more grappling work if he chose BJJ :D

15. faster than you

faster than you Valued Member

boxing can also be a long range art if footwork is properly used. boxing also has the 'dirty clinch' which could combine to set up throws more easily than tkd clinch tactis, i.e. crescent kicks. the defense of boxing also is more condusive to entering into the clinch for judo throws.

16. psychALogy

psychALogy New Member

Having studied both TKD and Judo I can safely say they mesh very well together. Whether it's any better a combination than (Muay Thai/Kyokushin/Shotokan/Wado Ryu) combined with (BJJ/Judo/Wrestling) is probably up to the practitioner rather than the exact combination of arts chosen.
    I also found no problem with cross contamination with TKD/Judo, i.e. they're different enough that I could train them both with out running too much risk of messing up my technique in each art.

Although to be fair I had studied TKD for several years before I took up Judo. Also I now train a non-traditional form of Jujutsu as well which has really helped me with movement in a more realistic combative environment, basically giving me new ways to close distance and apply both Jujutsu and my previously learned TKD/Judo techniques.

I must say though that I was always intrigued with the possibilities of a Boxing/TKD/Judo combination, always thought this would produce a very handy fighter.

17. warriorofanart

warriorofanart Valued Member

I used to train with a friend who does taekwondo and muy thai, and I must say its very effective. I rarely can get close to him, I usually give up after I get my head ratteled several times, yet when I do the elbows, and knees come in play.

Very effective in close range combat, I could hardly get a grip on him (Thats before I started trying in judo), and always I am down. Though I bet if I could get a good grip, I would still, be pretty much open if I am not fast enough, because of his elbows. I always thought the muy thai is strictly sport related martial art yet it works well with Taekwondo in self-defense.

18. BRECKDOG

BRECKDOG Valued Member

TKD sucks if you want a workable solution against good fighters- unless of course you are only fighting other TKD people.
    If I were you I would prioritise punching range and get comfortable here since you are a step away from crashing the line and clinching to work your judo.

Judo and Boxing is king- cos the ranges overlap.
    Generally pick Boxing, Thai, Kickboxing way superior to TKD.

19. TKDmmafiter

TKDmmafiter Valued Member

pick boxing?

You should learn to spell before taking up any kind of physical activity.

20. Oversoul

Oversoul Valued Member

Both "pick" and "boxing" are real words, so I'm not sure what you mean... :confused: