Judo + Taekwondo = Excellent combination?

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Sirasoni, Dec 9, 2005.

1. Sirasoni

Sirasoni Banned Banned

Judo + Taekwondo = Excellent combination? Would these two arts supplement each other nicely?

2. firecoins

firecoins Armchair General

yes they would. Of course I love TKD, and just statred studying BJJ. But thats a good combo.

3. Zevi

Zevi Valued Member

I would hope so...I was considering the same combination.

4. Da Xiong

Da Xiong Massochistic SOB

from what i understand both tkd and judo are primarily sport martial arts, so youd really be studying two different aspects of the same thing. Tkd would be good at teaching you striking concepts and flexibility, and judo is good for falling, rolling, and general throwing concepts. if you dont get anything else out of it, you'll at least be able to move your body really well.

5. Sirasoni

Sirasoni Banned Banned

Both are effective for self defense.

And for the people that think this is a highly effective combination, please go deeper and explain your reasoning, details, etc etc.

6. Legless_Marine

Legless_Marine Banned Banned

If the idea of the two sports combined gives you a chubb, you should check out Hapkido.

7. ANCIENTMASTER

ANCIENTMASTER New Member

Isn't that hapkido?

8. AZeitung

AZeitung The power of Grayskull

Not even close. Hapkido is derived from Daito Ryu Aikijujutsu. Judo is derived from a different form of jujutsu. Both are fairly different from the jujutsu they were derived from as well. Hapkido striking varies quite a bit, but usually seems to maintain quite a few differences from TKD striking. I've heard that there are actually more kicks in Hapkido than in TKD, if you go through the Ji Han Jae lineage.

9. Legless_Marine

Legless_Marine Banned Banned

In a pedantic sense, the two arts combined don't make Hapkido.... But OTOH, I agree that if someone gravitates towards a combination of grappling and kicking, HKD would definitely be worth checking out for them.

HKD incorporates many of the techniques found in both, in addition to other material. In addition, HKD shares lineage with both Judo and TKD.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2005
  10. Scaramouch

Scaramouch Lost Soul

It depends want for want from your x-training combo. A stand-up MA and another which incorporates cliching, throwing and ground-fighting is obviously complimentary. You could choose TKD and Judo, but similarly you could decide on MT + BJJ or KFu + wrestling etc etc. At the end of the day you should pick the MAs you enjoy, as these are the ones that you are most likely to continue training in long-term.

TKD and judo when taught by good instructors can be very effective MAs, however, they are both taught in a traditional, formalised way (bowing, korean and japanese terms, belt grades, kata/forms, etc etc). They also have the competitive aspect, as they are both olympic sports - although some clubs concentrate on this to a greater or lesser degree. Again depends on want you want form a personal point of view. An alternative would be to look at MMA which would give you a similar broad range of MA skills but taught in a less formal, more relaxed environment.

As a side note - I'm no expert with respect to what skills Hapkido can give you but I'd go the forum and ask questions. My understanding is that although HK may incorporate ground-fighting skills they are not taught to the same level as in Judo and BJJ i.e. pins, positional g/f and ground-based subs.

11. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

First off, a mod note: keep the american politics to the off topic area, it's not something for this section of the forum.

Now that that's out of the way...

Judo is excellent for throws and very good for groundwork. What it largely misses these days is any defences against non-grappling attacks (punches, kicks and weapons), unless the club is specifically self defence oriented. This is because sport Judo has rules against strikes AND pacivity, which means that the opponent is definitely going to reach out and grab hold of you one way or another. As such, Judo teaches you very little about closing from striking distance to grappling distance while avoiding getting hit.

From what I've seen, TKD is about striking, mostly with kicks, and doesn't include much (if any) grappling, and the grappling I have seen taught in a couple of local TKD classes was "questionable". From what I've heard most TKD is taught as a sport, and you don't get any points for grappling, instead just putting yourself at risk of being hit with a hand technique. As such, TKD teaches you very little about closing from striking distance to grappling distance while avoiding getting hit.

If you find a good self defence club for each, then the combination could work well. Otherwise there would almost certainly be a gap in your training as I already showed (and I didn't even make a start on the weapons defences you'd miss out on! ;))

12. Sirasoni

Sirasoni Banned Banned

Ummm nah.. how about

Taekwondo is a martial art? Get it through your heads.

13. airweaver

airweaver Valued Member

i think good a good combination would be tai chi and karate, as in a soft and hard style.

tai chi would give you the flexibility and ability to yield to attacks, wearas karate would give you the refined ability to punch and kick where you want to, even better would be to do some wing chun on top of these 2 so your able to fight (karate) flee/yield (tai chi) or be able to effectivly defend and parry whilst countering at the same time (WC)

but tai chi and karate are good combos. (even though this is the judo thread hehe)
    also, ALL martial artists should regularly run, or atleast do enough so they are able to if they need to, being able to sprint comes *EXTREMELY* handy in a fight, not just because of being able to run away if you get hurt, but how you can generally move your body quicker.

imagine sprinting at someone who is only 10 ft away from you, or imagine someone sprinting at YOU from only 10 ft away, how would you react?

14. Aegis

I didn't see anyone dispute that fact.

TKD is a martial art. It is also a sport. Depending on how it is taught, you will be more or less capable in certain areas of fighting. Same as with any other martial art.

15. Aegis

MOD NOTE: I've just stripped out every post in this thread which even mentioned politics, since certain people decided that my request wasn't really there. I apologise to anyone who made a large post with a comment about politics in passing at the end, but there were a fair few posts to move and I wasn't in any mood to sit and edit all of them.

Please keep political discussion unrelated to Judo out of the Judo forum and in the Off Topic section.

16. World War Chees

World War Chees New Member

I think they'd be a good combo, judo get's ya in close but TKD with the kicks & flips makes long distance fighting & stuff so in a fight you'd have the choice of which range you chose to attack and defend, neh?
    Oh, and on the Hapkido thing, yar very lil' groundwork. I study another derivetive of Daito (and have also practiced a bit o' Aikido, yet another offshoot) and I've never seen any groundwork from those styles [all the vids/pics o' HKD too have all been standing, to a degree]

17. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

I practised Judo as a kid, it still holds me in good stead today when caught in a clinch

Judo (finished when i was 13-14 at blue belt 3rd mon)
    Taekwondo (currently stand at blue belt)
    Boxing (only just started)

18. brahman

brahman Banned Banned

wouldnt mui thai be good as well because of the knees and elbows?

19. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

There's this common misconception that Judo will teach you the clinch. Whilst learning Judo certainly won't hurt you here, it doesn't really address the clinch as seen in MMA or jacketless wrestling.

Because there are more handles to grip due to the jacket, Judo randori tends to take place outside of 'the clinch'. However the techniques that you learn in Judo can mostly be easily applied in the clinch, it's just how you get there that's different :)

20. CCG2

CCG2 Valued Member

i dunno about tae kwon do, isn't that primarily a kicking based art? sorta long range right? to me that really doesn't complement that well with Judo, which is a close range style. it's still beneficial, but wouldn't something more close range like boxing make it easier to transition from ur striking game to Judo?