Judo & Jiu Jitsu Combo Classes

Discussion in 'Judo' started by dfusion, Mar 11, 2004.

1. dfusion

dfusion New Member

I'm assuming that because most of the locks in Judo are banned from competition that most instructors don't even bother to teach them...?

The school around the corner from my house is different in that $70/month gets you Judo every Tuesday and Thursday (5:30pm - 7:00pm) and one Jiu Jitsu class on Saturdays from 11:30am - 1:00pm. Maybe the Jiu Jitsu is for teaching alternate techniques or perhaps what they "cannot teach" in the Judo class?

The dojo is owned by an Aikido Nidan (I've watched him teach) and the place is big, spacious, and clean. I'm going to watch a Judo class tonight just for fun.

2. Adam

Adam New Member

Depends on the dojo, some judo is strictly competition orientated and will teach very little groundwork and few locks, focusing mainly on throwing people all over the place. Other dojos teach combative judo and put more emphasis on newaza (groundfighting) and locking.

I'd say that this sounds like a much better deal than the Gracie dojo, especially if the judo teaches enough newaza and the jiujitsu will teach you the techs banned from judo.

Go for it, see which you like the best

Good luck

3. shootodog

shootodog restless native

it's actually a good idea.

a friend of mine, ali sulit (phil. amature judo assoc./ national team and bjj revolution/ new breed academy philippines) started giving lessons on judo as a martial art and crosses it over with some bjj techniques. his judo grappling school is a hit here in manila.

4. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

WHS. Traditional/combat judo clubs do a lot of ju jitsu techniques anyway.

5. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

looks good. My school teaches some judo and bjj at the samt time since they complement each other. just remember the restrictions that judo has in terms of submissions