Judo is the best "base" Martial Art...

Discussion in 'Judo' started by pakarilusi, Jul 7, 2010.

1. pakarilusi

pakarilusi Valued Member

I finally get it... I've been doing Martial Arts since I was 10 yo, now 35... TKD, JKD, Kali, BJJ, Silat (I'm in Malaysia btw..).

Did Judo for just a few months, a few years back. But I didn't understand then...

Now, I truly believe that Judo is the best "base" Martial Art after all these other training experiences. It has all the components you need to first grasp in Martial Arts Training.

Having done many other Martial Arts, I see it all there in Judo... Aliveness, Technique, Timing, Stamina, Strength, Flexibility and maybe most importantly, Spirit.

A lot is said about it being too "Sport" nowadays... To me, the Sport component of Judo is what actually builds real strength and character. Everyone can learn to win. But, learning to lose, that's the secret. Judo literally teaches you how to "pick yourself up when you have fallen down".

And the traditional part of Judo (Kata etc.) I truly love. Really... It gives Judo a sense of History and belonging to the wider world of Martial Arts.

That its techniques can stand side by side with Aikido AND be respected in MMA says a lot about Judo.

I will never stop training in the other Arts, but it seems Judo is for keeps now. Hopefully till I'm an old, old man.

I'm starting back this weekend.

Any advice from those here more experienced in it?

Thanks in advance... :cool:

2. Octavian_Caesar

Octavian_Caesar Valued Member

I agree. Judo is a good all rounder. The Thai version of Muay Thai (as if there should be any other version, but), also has a lot of grappling throws as well, which could put it up there, but that you release the opponent as they fall dulls it out.

3. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

I think any art that has a similar strong foundation like that is great. As primarily a striker, I wish I knew more Judo, but I also recall reading how Jimmy Pedro actually said he wished he started off striking first as he thought it was more difficult than Judo.

I say whatever fills those requirements that you need and works for you is the best foundation for you.

4. pakarilusi

pakarilusi Valued Member

And it's really great for the "underdogs". Small men (like myself), women, children and the elderly. Even some special needs folks can do it.

I believe everyone should take up Martial Arts (of any style) though our "violent blood lust" image in the Movies and media doesn't help in propagating this...

Judo is perfect for those who aren't really looking to "take part in the UFC" but still would like to have intensity and aliveness in training... The breakfalls in particular are really beneficial to know as we all fall some time or another, literally (and figuratively speaking). All the benefits of a Sport coupled with the Traditions of bygone times.

The traditionalism and deep respect in Judo is really what sets it apart from most other Combat Sports imho... Not all, but most.

Can't wait to start.

5. Hyper_Shadow

Hyper_Shadow Valued Member

I started in Judo. Whereas I do not see the practical combat application for all of what I learned, it was Judo that initially grabbed my interest when I was a little kid.

Without Judo I would never have moved on to Jujitsu and then kept my interest as I stumbled into my current Dojo. My current Dojo being the one I'm going to stick with for the rest of my days.

:)

6. pakarilusi

pakarilusi Valued Member

Wished I started with Judo like you as a kid, not TKD. :p

But all in its own time I guess...

7. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

I started in Judo, not actually by choice, but lack of choice, sort to speak.

8. pakarilusi

pakarilusi Valued Member

Some guys have all the luck... :rolleyes:

9. 47MartialMan

I guess you call a limitation of choice in the early 60's-"luck"

Although "luck", to me, is a far cry from a lack of choice

10. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

I like it to

11. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

Me too. I started at the local YMCA. I believe the training on how to fall properly saved me from serious injury when I was struck by a car while riding my bicycle....otherwise known as my experiment with amateur aviation.

There are several throws that I can still comfortably execute. The sweeps were a great foundation for what I later learned in Silat.

I highly recommend Judo as a starter art for children and it stands by itself as an art for adults.

12. 47MartialMan

LOL. I also, experimented in many amateur aviation hands on, rather hands off, field studies

13. Hatamoto

Hatamoto Beardy Man Kenobi Supporter

Had my first taste of judo tonight.

It doesn't like me :p

14. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

haha like any martial art it can be intimidating and hard to approach, stick with it for a while longer and you might not just grow to like each other it could become a true love affair :p

15. 47MartialMan

Its an "acquired taste"

Dont spit it out, savor it for a little while.

16. Ranzan

Ranzan Valued Member

Tie between Judo and wrestling for me. Started them both at the same time, both equally helpful.

17. Hyper_Shadow

Hyper_Shadow Valued Member

I remember how small and puny I was when I started Judo. Gave me realdrive to build me up to the man I am now:)

Nothing's more awesome than being confronted by a 6 and half foot colossus (when you're 11 and about 4 foot) and being able to plant him neatly on his back for a full point.

18. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

I think the grass will always be greener on the other side.

My dad was a Judo guy (more out of necessity than anything; he has bad eyes so he found the only real athletic thing he could do was something where he had to grab the guy) and he got me into boxing when I was younger as he thought it'd be better for self defense. Once my son's old enough, I'll probably be encouraging him more into wrestling/Judo for the same reasons until he's old enough to want to train karate with me on his own.

19. Hatamoto

Hatamoto Beardy Man Kenobi Supporter

47Martialman, that's what I keep telling her xD

Nah I quite enjoyed it, it just ruined my body lol won't be able to do a damn thing for a couple of days, I'm so sore around my back and shoulders from all the being flung and getting up. It was a lot of fun though, I'll be going back. I don't think I've ever been so sore after training though lol

20. 47MartialMan

It is normal doing a different routine-exercise that the body isnt adjusted to for it to be sore.

Some enjoy the aches and pains. :rolleyes: