Judo Gi Size

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Pkhamidar2com, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

what colour gi was it and whats you height and weight?

2. Pkhamidar2com

Pkhamidar2com Panda Member

It was white, blitz Gi i believe, although i maybe wrong, but most likely blitz.

Im around 170 CM, give a CM or so.

3. Mangosteen

weight?

4. Pkhamidar2com

5. Mangosteen

180 white or 170 blue should be okay.

6. Pkhamidar2com

Would getting a bigger one be bad though? Since im going to be buying a used Gi because cheaper. So 190 used?

7. Mangosteen

if its bee used and washed it should have shrunk down quite a bit so it'll prolly fit.

8. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I agree with Zaad, a used one is much less likely to shrink than a new one, so perhaps the 180cm would do (depending on how 'used' it has been).

9. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

I'm perplexed as to what people are doing with their Gis?

When I first started teaching I bough Karate Gis. Towards the end of our Gi wearing (before we switched to tracksuits) I bought Blitz Judo Gis for my students. I never had a single Gi shrink! Are people putting them in hot washes?

I wear a 180 Gi and am 10cm taller and 15kg heavier than you. Having trained with you, I'd have bought you a 170.

10. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I think it depends on the make and model. My Blitz Jujitsu gi only shrank a little around the waist, my Adidas Judo gi shrank loads, my Toraki gi both shrank a little. I only ever wash them on 30°C and hang dry them.

11. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

My Black Eagle shrank a lot over the first few washes.

Mitch

12. Pkhamidar2com

This one looks quite good, i couldn't find any used ones cheaper but i think this is a good price of a Gi. I might email the guy selling this about which size. He might know as he sells them :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Natural-J...&otn=3&po=LVI&ps=63&clkid=6004148717705102782

BTW looking at the label on that Judo Gi, it looks alot like the lable that i saw on mine, so my suspicions that the Gi they gave me is a Blitz one is more so now.

how much of a big deal is it if its too small/big? Is it better if its a little big or a little small?

Thanks

edit:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bleached-..._Martial_Arts_Clothing_LE&hash=item3f1312d530

this one is by the same person, but this one is bleached? Selling for more. But i dont think it makes a difference whether or not its bleached does it?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  13. John Titchen

A little big is generally what is preferred. :whistle:

14. righty

righty Valued Member

If you are buying used then you have to ask how much it has been used and how it has been washed.

A used gi will not shrink much if at all so if anything it's harder to judge compared to a new one.

15. Pkhamidar2com

Damn it i don't know which to go with!

If i buy 180 it might shrink a lot and become too short
    If i buy 190 it might not shrink at all and be far too big (JWT said that his has not shrunk much at all!)

My minds goes towards 190 as thats what i wore at the Judo Centre
    But then guys/lady here as well as the guy who is selling the Gi, are saying 180

My mind keeps going back and forth between 190 and 180.

@righty i cant find any used ones so im going to be buying a new one but its quite cheap :)

16. John Titchen

I think the lady was mistaken or that 190 was mislabelled. I would find a 190 too big and as you know I'm a bit bigger than you.

Go for the 180 then and hope it shrinks!

17. Mitch

Sounds like good advice. If it's too big, wash it on a warm wash until it isn't :)

MItch

18. Pkhamidar2com

What temperature should i be washing the Gi in the washing machine, so its clean but doesn't shrink alot? Anything specific i should add to it as well? Anything i shouldn't add?

19. Pkhamidar2com

So from reading around it seems maybe cold wash is best?

so is cold 30oc? or is that too high, maybe normal pipe temperature (so at the lowest temperature the dial goes to)?

We dont use dryers, we just hang them on a washing line or if its raining we use those heater rack things next to the central heating to dry clothes. I think i read that using a dryer will shrink the collar.

I read somewhere adding white vinegar helps.

Thanks, please reply soon :)

20. Mitch

I use 30 degrees with a soak before the wash with some whitener in there, works fine. I stick the gi straight in the machine as soon as I get home too, best not to let them fester as that's when the bacteria that causes smells and staining gets established.

Mitch