Judo Gi Questions

Discussion in 'Judo' started by rob0107, Dec 12, 2015.

1. rob0107

rob0107 Valued Member

Recently started Judo at my local club, and looking at getting myself a Gi to train in. I was looking at this Gi, and was wondering if it would be alright to train in, and maybe do local competitions in down the line?

Also I'm 5'11" (which is nearly 180cm on the dot) and 73kg, so was wondering what size I should get? I thought maybe 190 due to my height, and because I've got a second hand shogun jacket which is 170, and the arms are about 3 inches too short. But weirdly I tried on one of my instructors jackets on, which was 175, and it fit like a glove (it did feel like a top quality Gi though, and it was blue which I've heard reduces shrinking).

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

It's a very good gi - I own three.

I'm 1.88 and 90kg, and the 190 jacket is a perfect fit, so I would suggest the 180 for you. The trousers are always ridiculously long, but 5 minutes with some hemming tape and an iron fixes that.

I've been using one of those gis for 2 years now and it still fits, so shrinkage shouldn't be a problem (it's even survived the occasional half hour in the dryer).

3. rob0107

rob0107 Valued Member

Awesome, cheers mate, I'll get myself the 180 then. Are they alright for competing in in local competitions, or are the rules not too strict for Gis?

4. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

They'll be fine for local competitions. You might want to shorten the trousers though (just because long trouser legs are incredibly annoying).

5. rob0107

rob0107 Valued Member

I'm quite long in the leg anyway, so might get away with it, but will bear that in mind cheers