Judo For Self-Defense On The Street

Discussion in 'Judo' started by WarriorMonk7, May 26, 2016.

?

Is Judo Good for Self-Defense or Nah?

1. Yes

19 vote(s)
    95.0%
  2. Nah

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  1. WarriorMonk7

WarriorMonk7 Valued Member

You mentioned krav before too.

Do you actually train?[/QUOTE]
    Never did Krav.

I don't think these Krav people develop any skin since they don't spar hard, generally.

It's just aggressive kickboxing with nutshots mostly anyway. Combined with some fantasy knife and gun disarming techniques which will probably get you killed.

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

What do you think about wrestling quarters position?
    is it street ready?

Have you any experience with the BJJ at your MMA classes?

Last edited: May 28, 2016
  3. WarriorMonk7

I think wrestling is definitely street ready if you are being attacked by someone much taller or with much more reach. It also blends really well with the MT clinch, but I find it hard to get a good clinch on taller opponents - hence the wrestling.

Judo interests me, but the lack of it in the UFC kind of makes me skeptical. If it worked so well you would see much more of it. Okay, okay - I know Rousey is a bad ass but she is a freaking Olympian.

So I started a thread to talk to some of you experts.

Oh - to answer your question. Yes. I have 1 year under Gracie Barra. It was just okay. 1 year is not great. I know...

Also. I must say I don't feel any more confident on the street with my new BJJ skills after that year. The wrestling and Thai are much better for self-defense, but hey. I'm just a dude on an Internet forum typing on a computer on my employer's dime. What do I know?

4. Dead_pool

So 1 year in, when you roll with high belts, do you think you could take the blackbelts if you could both use dirty tactics?

have you sparred MMA with them?

5. WarriorMonk7

Absolutely.

Depends on how good their boxing is, if we are using gloves etc. I prefer striking Bas Rutten style anyway if there's no gloves.

6. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

7. WarriorMonk7

I've sparred MMA with blackbelts and got tapped out couple of times. Sure. What do you expect? It's an octagon with rules.

I'm also not going to bloody up my blackbelt friends with knees to the face, so I was going easy anyway.

8. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

And they didn't break your arms. I suggest a new strategy R2.

9. WarriorMonk7

Lol - indeed.

10. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

And how do you land these without a ground game ?

Let me answer for you -you don't

This line of reasoning is only ever trotted out by those who have little to no experience

11. Dead_pool

I call shenanigans.

To sum up, your currently a high school wrestler, (so under 18) who currently trains MMA with mulitiple bjj black belts, but doesn't seem to know any fundamentals of grappling?

Or are you now over 18, used to wrestle in high school, used to train BJJ but didn't like it, but now train MMA somewhere with no groundwork?

Last edited: May 28, 2016
  12. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

So against BJJ black belts you're spending significant amounts of time in North South or with them passive on the bottom in side control?

13. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

In the context of the positions you mention I could easily shrug off those strikes due to the inferior angle and velocity of the strike. as I said I've taken flush knees to the head and groin and shugged them off. That assuming you could even get the shots off.

14. WarriorMonk7

Lol - the latter one. Yep - I train at a local MMA gym with a good reputation and avoid the BJJ.

15. WarriorMonk7

Lol. Yeah.

The black belts dominate me. I'm not going to lie. But I try to avoid hitting the ground. I think I got very decent TD, and aim for mostly push kicks, big hooks, and Thai clinches - my bread and butter.

16. WarriorMonk7

Balls of steel breh.

I would be crying.

17. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

The Thai clinch is more than just the plumb.

Karo Parisian is a notable MMA judoka (or was) the fact that those skills work at any level shows they are worthwhile.

I think you are embellishing your training. Your stated experience and implied experience are at odds.

I personally feel you need standup, clinch and ground to have the best base for SD. You can get all that from what you currently claim to train. I can't see judo making you more SD ready and think you'd be better served continuing to develop you wrestling and Thai clinch rather than trying to pick up something new that you don't really respect. The whole time you'll just be thinking you could knee and elbow your way out.

18. WarriorMonk7

Top mount (me on bottom):
    When someone mounts you, you can hit the groin with quick jabs instead of desperately defending from the ground and pound.

Guard (me on top):
    I am a big guy so if I end up in someone's guard, I just use brute force to make some space and could easily come down with a train of force onto his groin - given he has just wrapped his legs around my waist.

Does it finally make sense? Damn. I can't believe I have to explain something so simple. = /

19. WarriorMonk7

Dude - I have massive respect for Judo. Point to me in the thread where I said I did not respect it.

Most UFC fighters tend to focus on the wrestling much more than Judo though. Let's be honest here.

Either way, I appreciate your advice, Knee. I'll continue working on my MT and wrestling then.

20. WarriorMonk7

"The whole time you'll just be thinking you could knee and elbow your way out."

LOL - okay you're right. I would probably think this. Yes.