Judo For Self-Defense On The Street

Discussion in 'Judo' started by WarriorMonk7, May 26, 2016.

?

Is Judo Good for Self-Defense or Nah?

1. Yes

19 vote(s)
    95.0%
  2. Nah

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  1. Klaus7

Klaus7 Map Noob :)

HAHA

I just had my first BJJ lesson today! i dont know why but i found it sorta fun i even spared. Ill just leave my 2 cents here... do whatever you feel happy/ comfortable with. OO and take the peoples advice on this forum tbh most of them know what they are doing. i want to say how you are wrong about jj but each to his/her own.

2. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

Lol, I didn't get them either, I got nobbly old man hands instead.

3. WarriorMonk7

WarriorMonk7 Valued Member

Thai. Wrestling.

4. WarriorMonk7

Troll?

Why am I a troll? I am asking good questions.

5. WarriorMonk7

Huh?

6. WarriorMonk7

I would not want to roll with a groin-punching, aggro Krav Maga dude. That's all I'm saying.

7. WarriorMonk7

You've tried it but groin shots did not work?

I tried it and it worked fine. Did you try hard enough? LOL.

8. WarriorMonk7

Thanks!

9. WarriorMonk7

What's wrong with asking multiple opinions?

All the counter-arguments are weak, gentlemen. Let's keep it civil.

10. WarriorMonk7

My wrestling is pretty great.

I need a kickboxing gym that focuses more on the clinch though...

11. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

There's a moment when you go against someone proficient in grappling where, if you have not become proficient yourself, you realize how incredibly helpless you are. It's like quicksand. It's like chess. You start being able to make X number of moves, but each choice you make restricts your movement further. X - 1. X - 3. X - n^78. Trust me, there have been many who think that there is a simple solution to grappling, including at one time myself. There is not. If a Krav Maga fighter desires success in that range she or he must themselves become proficient at grappling.

12. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Why have so many proficient strikers failed against proficient grapplers even in rule sets that allow groin strikes?

Last edited: May 27, 2016
  13. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

If I'm in mount and can't immediately control their arms I straight away do a double grapevine ride and a Saturday night ride. It is physically impossible to attack my groin in this position. Guard for fighting is primarily a defensive position, to stop the other guy punching you. Can't hit the groin very hard from inside guard without exposing yourself. More importantly you're not going to be in a position to even see my groin unless you're better at ground grappling than me.

Last edited: May 27, 2016
  14. webcrest

webcrest Valued Member

Judo is a modern martial art and in my opinion its pretty good weaponless self defense. Tho its more effective when opponent is wearing light clothes rather than a gi but it will also works well if one include striking in it. in short a combination of styles make judo a good self protection technique. hope you don't end up being on the floor :evil:

15. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

In my core style we spend quite a lot of our time studying things like groin shots - we make an art out of it :)

To land an effective groin shot you need to strike upwards into the pelvis

A good closed guard only really exposes the area around the bladder. To get a groin shot in you really need to open the guard - which requires training in BJJ, Judo, JJJ etc

Of course punching into the lower torso, bladder and hip area is pretty painful, but if the person knows how to keep you off balance (as per the clip you posted) there's not enough structure to get really powerful shots in & if they are able to control your hands then it's really difficult to strike anywhere

Maybe if the guy using closed guard is very inexperienced you'll get away with it, but that's no way to assess the validity of a technique

For what it's worth: Two of the old school Japanese jujutsu styles that I study have variations of the closed guard. The context of these styles is very much no rules (even considering weapons). The only difference is that they consider closed guard as a transitionary position / sweep etc and don't stay there for too long. Likely because of the presence of multiple opponents and/or weapons

16. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

I think you might lack the capacity to understand judo well enough to become skillful in it and to adapt that skill to self defence. I'm basing that assessment on your intellectual response to the Drac video, which was moronic.

Thai and wrestling work just as well anyway.

17. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Assuming we believe that he is actually training in them of course

18. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Please expand

Who did you roll with?
    what is their background?
    what is your background? (Kickboxing, and wrestling? Which forms?)
    what rules did you use?
    what was the outcome?
    What were your conclusions and why?

19. Remi Lessore

Remi Lessore Valued Member

The police judo club at Tokei near London Bridge would convince you that judo is very good for SD.

20. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I'd take a hundred punches to the groin over a limb break or choke.