Judo came from ju jitsu

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Floorismyfriend, Nov 1, 2003.

1. Floorismyfriend

Floorismyfriend New Member

I wonder if most people dont know this but judo is a sport that came from ju jitsu.

Also what most people dont know is if your oponent takes off his shirt almost everything you learned in judo becomes almost useless. You would have a much better chance shooting for your oponents legs.

2. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Close, what Kano intended wasn't really a sport, as he was a hardcore MAist in his own right.

A total pile of hogwash. I'll admit that alot of throws become more difficult to do, and as I've proven on several occasions,

'Look, I can hold onto his wrist, not just his jacket!'

Throws that become ineffective are mainly the Sasae Tsuri's and Morote Seoi's which require you to hold onto lapels and sleaves.
    Chokes that become ineffective are the likes of Nami/Gyaku Juji Jime and Uk Eri Jime as they require the lapel to be held.

Whislt its arguable that the situation above would make it difficult for your run of the mill sports Judoka, those who are of Dan grade level should be easily able to adapt and those of us who practice the 'non-sports' aspects of Judo shouldn't have a problem.

Were you aware that some Judo clubs have 'T-shirt nights'?

I wonder if most people dont know this but BJJ is a sport that came from Judo.

An inflamatory comment I know, I just couldn't help myself! :D

And remember, I actually practice all three (and I don't mean I go to 1 class a month either!).

Floorismyfriend, could you please fill out your profile so I know how old you are, it will help me in the future when answering your questions.

Colin

3. Floorismyfriend

In a NHB fight its really difficult to grab or hold somone wrist when your both standing unless your oponent is alot weaker than you.

What inflamitory comment.

Since you asked for my profile so nicely.

I am a 34 double D
    size 3 waiste

jk ill fill out my profile just for you=)

4. Freeform

So are we talking UFC/NHB style cage fights or are we talking about scrapping?

If so I agree with you, it would be quite hard to do so on a grappler of that level/experience.

I also know that it can be done to your everyday drunken rugby player when I want to throw him out of my pub/club.

Col

5. Floorismyfriend

I thought NHB is basically the same thing as scrapping.

In judo do they teach double leg take down?

6. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Nope, huge difference between NHB and a normal fight, just check the dozen or so threads on the topic.

7. Floorismyfriend

Correct me if i am wrong but doesnt NHB mean no holds barred meaning no rules?
    A normal fight has rules?
    Grr this is very confusing.
    Plz explain the difference.

8. Adam

Adam New Member

No Holds Barred is set in a ring/cage with people trained for the fight a long time in advance who know that they are about to fight a guy of equal size. In a fight, nothing is certain and you don't know when you might have one.
    Also, it seems that quite a lot of gyms that claim to teach NHB/Vale Tudo make rules restrict dangerous techniques all the same, making it more MMAish than NHBish. Real NHB fighting would probably get restricted by local authorities in your area anyway.

9. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

An actual fight is usually over when one of the participants whacks the other guy other the back of the head with a bottle or something similar before he realises the fight has actually begun. Or possibly when someone pulls a knife and puts it through vital organs, or when one person hits tarmac and the other guys friends come over and stamp on him.

A real fight doesn't have rules. NHB definitely does.

10. Freeform

Can't really add much to what MAP's resident physicist said.

Yes Judo does have a variety of leg pick-ups and they seem to be the favour of the game lately.

11. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

If there are no lapels to grab, there's always the nipples instead.

12. Adam

Adam New Member

True. That's why I always wear nipple rings with outward spikes when wrestling.

13. aikijudo

aikijudo Valued Member

"I wonder if most people don’t know this but judo is a sport that came from ju jitsu."

This is a very dynamic and interesting topic. I have heard myths that some individuals chose to break apart Jujitsu because it was so dynamic. Some wanted to break it up into chunks believing that the smaller pieces would be more practically mastered.

I have also heard a myth that the Emperor commissioned Kano to develop Judo as a new sport for the Japanese people. Allegedly the Emperor had received word that the Japanese people had become bored with Sumo and he wanted to give them a new sport.

Another myth is that Kano was assassinated because he later acted against the directives of the Emperor.

Another well documented extraction from Jujitsu is Aikido. Morihei Ueshiba has been credited for creating a gentler version of some of Jujitsu's components.

Judo is most definitely a style of Martial Arts that contains a vivid history.

I also believe that the missionaries that brought Judo to North America endured some political and sociological challenges. American's were not very fond of the Japanese after World War II, as would be expected. However, it is apparent that many American's eventually accepted and developed a great respect for Japan's wealth of knowledge and experience in the Martial Arts.

~Kyoskute~
    TMW/Aikijudo Jitsu Ryu

14. Sub zero

Sub zero Valued Member

Erm nope.

Form what i have heard and read, judo was created partly because The socila change that was going on early last century in japan.Samurai were dissapering, they weren't to carr swords on the streets. Also the buisness men form the west coming in found the samurai way of life interesting but repugnent.

So judo was created.

Othcourse there were loads of factors.

I think people should make a difference between combat judo and sport judo. Or a mix of both (which i think not sure most Judo clubs do).

I have a question for BJJ guys.Could u explain to me how u execute a foreflap break fall? Just my frein form Oz came over after training in BJJ and had a very strange way of doing it.

15. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

There is some truth that it is very difficult to throw someone with some of the more classical judo techniques who isn't wearing a Gi and who is actively resisting.

Often because of their and your constant movement, which means that alot of Vale tudo bouts and self-protection scenarios for that matter often become more of a push-pull basic wrestling grunt.

I don't think I have ever managed a perfect hip throw in any NHB style training. Cross Buttocks from the clinch yes and some reaps, but never a full hip throw O-goshi type thing, except a 'both fall over' one.

But then in NHB training I am exceptionally nice and not grabbing hold of someones nasty bits and throwing them by those.

This is where the reversion from Judo back to Ju Jitsu techniques occur.

In a self-protection scenario, if you can't use a Gi, then you grab hold of their ear, mustache, fishooked cheek, hair etc and you throw them that way. Or swing them around by the nutsack and into the nearest wall.

Bearing in mind that with minor alterations most of the throws in Judo/ Ju Jitsu can be alot nastier than they are in practice, I do feel that learning classical throws is worth the effort.

Takedowns to the legs are excellent techniques. My favourites are the limb destruction takedowns of Chin Na, but then i'm not allowed to do those in any grappling class, as Grapplers can't function very well without the use of their Knees.

Any type of takedown is worth learning to apply and to be able to defend against, but only represent one small aspect of training and not the be all and end of all of everything.

16. Hakko-Ryu

Hakko-Ryu New Member

HAHAHAHAH. Nipple-Goshi.:eek: :D

17. Floorismyfriend

Re: Re: Judo came from ju jitsu

You say that as if judo came out of thin air.
    Think about it. Ju jitsu itself was the only martial arts than came out of japan with out a father or figure head or point of origin. Ju jitsu or its earlier forms even made it all the way to russia and china under different names such as Chin-Na and Sambo.

18. Sub zero

Sub zero Valued Member

Yeh i know this.

I don't see how my post makes its sound like Jduo came out o a thin air.

I was just adding a to what people had already said before me.There were a number of factors involved.I have a lot of respect for Judo (and love randori even tho i'm rubbish at it).

I think theres been a misunderstanding somewhere.Sorry.Could u explain to me wha u thot i ment?

19. Floorismyfriend

You never really explained how judo came to be.
    You just said it was created.

20. Sub zero

Sub zero Valued Member

Ahhhhhhhhhhh. Sorry.

I wasn't trying or meaning to explain how it came to be. I was just including another factor towards the development of judo.Why it came about.NOt really how.