judo & boxing.. The perfect MA mix?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Hades, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Hades

Hades the deskjob boxer

Hi there!

I've been doing boxing for over 2.5 years, and currently applying to be a police officer, I think this is a great opportunity for me to start with a new MA. I will not quit boxing, but just another MA on the side..

Well now.. In my town there's a very good and renowned judo/jujitsu/taekwondo-school (Boersma sports NL) and I just scheduled a lesson of judo..

IMO judo and boxing is the perfect combination, for self defense, as well as for being a cop, and having to deal with the less gentle guys in town..

your thoughts on this?

2. Bograt

Bograt Banned Banned

Boxing mixes well with all major MA ie karate, judo, MMA and so on. As your going in the police then the Judo boxing mix sound good.

3. WingChun Lawyer

WingChun Lawyer Modesty forbids more.

Judo is an excellent grappling art, I wish I had not stopped. In fact, I heard many police officers and bouncers like to practice it, as it shows how to subdue without breaking bones or doing serious harm.

I have heard only good things about boxing, and I know a guy who mixes it very well with judo. I suppose you could use some private classes with a Muay Thai guy just to teach you how to defend your groin against kicks, but other than that, the judo+boxing mix is perfect.

4. JayKayD

JayKayD Meet my friend PAIN!

Judo would be a hell of a lot better for police work, they generally don't like you knocking the crap out of people in the force.

5. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

If you're into MMA, have a look at Don "The Predator" Frye. Judo and boxing was his combination.

6. Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy Man on a Mission

Well, the way I see it is, just because you don't want to train something (in this case knock the crap out of people) doesn't mean that people aren't going to try and do it to you. Training in boxing would teach him to deal with extremely common str33t attacks.

In answer to the original question, it is very a good combination as it gives you good training in all 3 areas.

7. Frye did boxing? :eek:

8. Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy Man on a Mission

Forgive my ignorance, but wasn't Don's style wrestling?

NORM> yeah he did do boxing, in fact I think he has an unbeaten record in it.

Also, does anyone know what style Yoshida does to cover his striking?

9. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

If my memory serves (and occassionally it does), Frye had a black belt in judo. He may well have some experience in wrestling that I've forgotten though.

10. Jesh

Jesh Dutch Side Of The Force

As we are scheduled to join the same police force (well, at least in the same country :eek: ), I assume you did some homework. The Dutch policeforce relies mainly on Jiu-Jitsu in their curriculum, they also do a little boxing. But Jiu-Jitsu is the mainstay of their self-defense lessons, so in that respect you'd be better of going for the Jiu-Jitsu. Judo is a good MA, it teaches you how to throw people effectively and breakfall (although JJ covers these things too). I think JJ would suit you better as an oncoming policeofficer, due to the issues of controlling a suspect. Also they learn you to deal with weapons, which is mandatory for a policeofficer.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2005