Judo blackbelt should've worn white

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by flashlock, Jan 17, 2008.

1. cluebird

cluebird For various reasons --

Here's the deal.

In Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, the blackbelt represents something different than in judo. No matter what you may feel a black belt represents, it varies from martial art to martial art.

In BJJ, it shows a competitive, highly dedicated jiu-jitsuka when you are awarded the black belt. The degrees of black belt in BJJ signify high levels of mastery, and family status and connections.

In Judo, your shodan is the first step on the path. The rest was just a warmup. There is a large difference between a competitive shodan, nidan, or sandan, than there is between a non-competitive one. If you see anyone below forty with a yodan or higher, that is what a Jiu-Jitsu blackbelt would be equivalent to.

This story is not representative of judo in the least, and I would advise you to go to a judo dojo, and randori with some judoka. If you want a true taste, head somewhere competitive, like SJSU, or Pedro's dojo, and ask to randori with someone good.

2. cluebird

You think it's a privilege for people to get a response from you?

3. cluebird

Oh give us all a break. Why <<snip snip>> would you post that story if you didn't want "set everyone off so"?

Again, if you thought "no one would care", then why would you post this.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2008
  4. cluebird

Word.

5. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

I must go tell all these guys they are under achievers!

Sultan Ibragimov
    Ruslan Chagaev
    Shannon Briggs
    Oleg Maskaev
    Wladimir Klitschko
    Sergei Liakhovich
    Lennox Lewis
    John Ruiz
    Evander Holyfield
    Mike Tyson

After all, all they ever got was Heavyweight Champion of the World, some of them multiple times.

Or do you not class boxing as a Martial Art, or were you just chest thumping?

6. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

So how long, on average, does it take to be a supreme being?

7. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

Fedor and Randy Couture suck, they don't have BJJ blackbelts, I'll remember to tell them that if I see them.

Incidentally, I think a lot of you are making a grave error in this thread, you see flashlock is talking, which is all well and good, but the mistake you guys are making here, and pay attention because this is important, the mistake is you're listening.

8. flashlock

flashlock Banned Banned

You got me! Just chest thumping.

Thanks for your articulate argument, I really appreciate it when someone puts forth a good effort and defeats me in a debate.

I salute you, sir!

9. flashlock

flashlock Banned Banned

Yeah, when I wrote that I thought the BJJ blackbelt was the highest acheivements in sport, that had to mean also that I thought Randy Couture sucked.

Your logic must be at such a high level, it almost appears illogical to your lessers. You've stumbled on to a paradox, because it can't be that you're just plain stupid yourself.

Anyway, I agree with what you say later in the post: STOP LISTENING TO FLASHLOCK. I mean, all these critics are saying how stupid I am, why waste time posting on my pathetic threads?

Or is that just another paradox I'm not intelligent enough to get?

10. flashlock

flashlock Banned Banned

I think it's about 10 years.

11. EternalRage

EternalRage Valued Member

At this rate there will be a zero tolerance policy in this subforum in a matter of weeks

12. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

LOL... I don't think we have any mods keeping tabs, or there would probably be several people taken to task. Does the BJJ forum even have a topic mod, like the other subforums do? Someone just to keep us in line?

13. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

I thought there was an announcement of a zero tolerance policy for all of MAP just recently. Maybe it doesn't apply to this forum? :confused:

14. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Just to you mate! ;) :D

15. Rhea

Rhea Laser tag = NOT MA... Supporter

You've got Sarge, watch out :D ;)

16. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

You said the BJJ BB is the highest achievement in Martial Arts, as I and Srgt Major have pointed out, it's not unless you sincerely believe that becoming a UFC champion, winning gold at the Olympics in Judo or taking and holding a world title belt in boxing are either a) Lesser achievement's or b) Don't count as Martial Arts.

You don't know what a paradox actually is do you?

Not listening to someone talking isn't a paradox, going back in time and killing your grandfather is a paradox, the fact You will never reach point B from point A as you must always get half-way there, and half of the half, and half of that half, and so on... is a paradox, people still making movie's with Steven Segall after seeing his recent work is a paradox (Or at least very, very confusing), you talking and no one else paying attention is not a paradox, it's just well deserved inattentiveness on their part.

17. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

Too right :D

I'm everywhere on MAP. :p

Slip: The zero tolerance is currently only in place in Ninjutsu.

18. flashlock

flashlock Banned Banned

Slind, first it really doesn't matter what I or you or anyone thinks. Personally, I believe BJJ is the best martial art for real self defense. Although there is a major sporting aspect to BJJ, there is, at least in the Gracie line, a heavier emphasis on self defense than in the great arts of boxing, or the fascinatint, ever-evolving sport of MMA (UFC).

So when I state that the highest acheivement in martial arts is a BJJ blackblet, I'm focussing on martial art as self defense.

MMA and Boxing, in my mind, are behind BJJ by just a hair when it comes to self defense. You want to make a big deal out of my statement, but at least I MAKE A STATEMENT; I stand up for something and try to back it up.

What does any of this have to do with wearing a blackbelt to the wrong art? Nothing. It's just another tangent. You want and some of the others want to argue against every little thing I say or believe in, and that's fine, but what are you going to learn, and what am I going to learn?

I'm in the mindset of just bracing myself for attack after attack from all sides, so it's hard for me to back down a little to even reach a middle ground where we can compromise and agree on anything. As for you and the other critics, you aren't going to listen to me, you've all written me off months ago.

So what's really going on? Bitching. From both sides.

All I can say is you may hate me or think I'm an idiot, but at least you have reasons based on things I consistantly say; as for you, what do you stand for?

All I see is you stand for being against whatever I say.

Good luck with that....

Well, you've missed my whole point and simultaneously demonstrated that YOU don't know what a paradox is.

19. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

God it's like poking a wasp's nest with a stick.

20. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

and then some. :D