Judo blackbelt should've worn white

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by flashlock, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

We do something like this, but in a very different way. Sometimes, after sparring when everyone is wiped, we'll be made to drill technique. It's not against heavy resistance. The emphasis is on being technical even when you're tired. So, at the end of class, we're forced to execute (for example) 50 technical armbars from guard and 50 kimuras from guard, or perhaps armbars from mount, etc. The idea isn't that we're drilling against resistance (as we've already done that in class and in sparring); rather, to force ourselves to remain technical in spite of fatigue.

Not to say that you guys are wrong. It's interesting to see two different approaches to the same situation.

2. flashlock

flashlock Banned Banned

Hey, that's a great drill! Murder!

3. aikidoka-je

aikidoka-je Blue Floral Belt

i agree i too like this story

4. RandomTriangle

RandomTriangle Valued Member

i agree with what has been said...

the only thing worse than showing up wearing his Black belt (in a "jerk kinda way"... which he WASN'T) would be IF he showed up wearing a white belt and did't tell people his experience level.

5. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Hey wait a minute... isn't that exactly the BJ Penn scenario? :confused:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUNgJPsUb1A"]BJ Penn in a Judo Competition - YouTube[/ame]

Above is the clip of him entering a Judo comp showing up as a white belt. Which I guess he would have been in Judo. Err... but obviously it's BJ Penn and he's one hell of BJJ technician! Not entirely sure of the background on the vid... anyone?

6. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

BJ Penn is by some accounts a bit of a tool though so really that suppots his claim.

7. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

From the start of the video it seems to suggest that BJ Penn was a BJJ whitebelt at the time of the competition...

8. Atharel

Atharel Errant

He's not particularly amazing in that vid so he might really have been a BJJ white (though still a white belt named BJ Penn).

9. MiguelPinzon

MiguelPinzon New Member

It's all about the mindset

I feel that when you enter a school of a different style, one should wear a white belt as an external sign of humility and openness to learning. And as an internal reminder that the best time you will probably ever have in the martial Arts is when you are........a student.

Mike

10. flashlock

flashlock Banned Banned

Well said.

11. Oversoul

Oversoul Valued Member

There have been claims that he was actually a purple belt in BJJ at the time of the video. If BJ said he was a white belt at the time, I'd believe him. He's obviously exceptional anyway and, as you said, didn't look particularly amazing in the video.

12. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

I just watched that video again and I have to say that's one of the weirdest sets of assorted Judo Blackbelts I've seen in a while, I was particularly interested in how it was that BJ Penn could throw them around with white belt level BJJ and how they didn't manage to throw him once or capitalise on better grips when they got them. Oh and none of them twisted out of throws onto their stomach particularly well.

13. Atharel

Atharel Errant

As to why he was able to handle them so well - it's BJ Penn! And also probably they were cautious/afraid of someone with such a different strategy. I know I had a hard time adjusting to grappling this Russian Judo/Samboist because his strategy was so much different than mine and I looked *terrible* grappling him at first, but then was able to apply my usual game with some adjustments. I've seen a Judo gokyu/BJJ blue manhandle Judo blackbelts the first week he was training Judo and get absolutely crushed by the same blackbelts a month later. Different grappling strategies are scary and weird, at first.

As to why they couldn't throw him that well - no one throws BJ Penn either. Olympic level wrestlers don't take him down :p

((NO I DO NOT HAVE A MANCRUSH ON BJ PENN))

14. Oversoul

Oversoul Valued Member

I reserve my judgment at this time...

15. RandomTriangle

RandomTriangle Valued Member

i thought so too... but Dave Camarillo said (on a BJJ forum i like) he was a white belt at the time...