Judo blackbelt should've worn white

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by flashlock, Jan 17, 2008.

1. flashlock

flashlock Banned Banned

Isn't it inappropriate for someone to take their belt from one style and try to use it in another? You should always take a white belt, yes?

Tonight in my BJJ class, a black belt judo expert came in wearing his judo blackbelt.

After an interesting struggle, a whitebelt submitted him.

Humiliating.

If you come into a BJJ club, and you're not ranked in BJJ, wear white...

Agreed, or do Judoka believe judo close enough to BJJ to wear their own belts?

Because it's not.

2. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

lol i love your stories!

Personally i think its wrong to do so.

I don’t see why he would wear his judo black belt, when its BJJ?

If he's just starting BJJ then he is upgraded and a white belt, end of.

If i were him i wouldn’t have even wore my judo gi, id have just gone in some loose clothing.

3. pj_goober

pj_goober Valued Member

I probably would wear my gi, when training in another style, just because its what I'm comfortable training in, but I certainly wouldn't wear my belt unless the instructor told me to.

I would however mention to the instructor my previous experiance, otherwise its rather rude IMHO.

4. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

Yeh that’s the best way, just let the instructor know what experience you have then just get on with it.

Also if you do end up getting owned, like that guy, you won’t look so stupid. Also if the guys see that you have no gi, or a white belt they might go easier on you. When they see you with a black belt the eyes will light up.

Bad strategy all around.

5. pj_goober

pj_goober Valued Member

Well that kind of depends on whether you've gone there to whoop everyones asses, and be "da man!" or whether you've gone there to learn.

But generally being a WBOD (White Belt of Doom) is better than telling everyone how good you are (which frankly even if its true just comes of as cockiness)

6. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

/\ What H said.

7. february

february Valued Member

LOL - the tallest tales in the land.

What's this? A thinly disguised BJJ > Judo thread on the Judo forum, in the form of a "real life anecdote"?

Anybody smell that?

:D

8. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Of course we did! We all know Flashlock. ;)

9. february

february Valued Member

:D

10. piratebrido

piratebrido internet tough guy

The belt is used for holding your Gi jacket together. What does it matter its colour? I sometimes wear a green belt.

11. february

february Valued Member

My preference is off white (bordering on magnolia), with a big spangly buckle.

12. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

Really, how did that make you feel?

13. Slindsay

It's because green belts are the belts of champions!

And people who've missed their last 4 or 5 gradings.

14. Slindsay

When I was a Judo white belt, I beat a BJJ white belt.

Interviewer: How did that make you feel?

It made me feel like posting about it lots on internet forums!

Edit: Oh yeah, AND he was wearing a BJJ Gi at the time with his white belt on, pretty embarrassing huh?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
  15. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

The ultimate answer is "depends on the sitch".

-Is he just visiting your club for a day? If so, why on Earth should he not wear his own gear? If I vistied a club and had a perfectly good uniform to wear, no way am I gonna borrow someone else's skanky, used belt. Not am I gonna buy one for one or two classes.
    -Is he taking a couple of free classes before joining? Same answer.
    -Is he a full-fledged regular student? Yeah, he should probably wear the white belt, then.

16. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Depends on the situation. When I visit a school I stop by or call first, explain that I want to stop in and check it out and give my background and such, and I usually ask "what should I wear?" I find that most schools that wear uniforms will say to wear your own uniform and belt you've earned. Schools without uniforms usually say either wear your uniform or sweat pants and teeshirt.

If I am visiting, it doesn't matter to me. Yes, I do represent my school so I should wear my uniform. On the other hand, everyone there knows that I am equal to a white belt in this school's style and usually treat me accordingly. I'm not there to show off what I do but I am there to learn and experience what they do. As long as I am not arrognat or talking only about me, it shouldn't be a problem with adults in an open minded school.

Not really. Everyone there knew he was a Judo blackbelt trying out the class under BJJ rules. I'd hope that he would lose under those rules. Otherwise, what is he there to learn?

I've been tapped out by MMA guys and Aikido guys and roughed up by CMAists and by Karate guys (and many others). I was never humilated by losing to someone at their own rules... instead I looked to learn and to share with my partner (who gets the exoperience of working with someone who doesn't behave like all the other guys he normally trains with).

It's up to the instructor and on the nature of the visit. If it's just a "visit" for a class or two, I'd say wear your uniform or sweats. If you want to join and learn the curriculum, switch it out for a school uniform and white belt (or wherever the instructor places you)

17. pj_goober

pj_goober Valued Member

Its also a sign of roughly how good you should be, what you can do and have done to you safely and so on.

If I turn up to a completely different style of Jujitsu wearing my Blue Belt, that will infer abilities to people on the mat that I may not have.

If a new guy turns up on a mat I'm training on wearing a coloured belt, I'm going to assume, unless told otherwise, that he earnt that in our style and can be treated accordingly. If I then throw him in a throw which is entirely appropriate to someone of that grade in my style, and he gets injured because he cannot breakfall appropriately - it is entirely his fault for essentially pretending to be a grade he is not.

Much safer IMHO to always wear a white belt on someone elses mat unless told otherwise.

18. piratebrido

piratebrido internet tough guy

Had a Judo blackbelt turn up to the BJJ class I attend and he wore his blackbelt. This was the simple fact that he didn't have a white belt. Before rolling with people he would say "I've only just started this Jiujitsu stuff". This let people know. No one was ****ed off. Verbal communication works wonders.

19. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I was just about to say that, what if it's his only belt?

20. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Many cross traners come to the makotokai. We treat them ALL the same. With respect.

regards koyo