Judo, BJJ or traditional Jujutsu?

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Bethrezen, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Bethrezen

Bethrezen Valued Member

Hi, i'm searching for a martial art and i want to narrow down each focus to one choise (eg. Strike F., Grappling/Submission F. etc.). About grappling/submission i think about Judo, BJJ and JJJ (Japanese Jujutsu). I want something focused on joint locks, throwing and techniques about how to transform your opponents strike to a deadly lock and also escapes from these locks. Also a little striking/weaponry could do too.
    Thanks

2. SB1970

SB1970 Valued Member

You mention locks and locking 3 times but your not looking at Aikido??? there would be a little striking and a fair amount of wepon work in there too-check it out:)

3. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

From your list only JJJ offers everything. There are others out there.

4. Bethrezen

Bethrezen Valued Member

I've practiced Aikido but the sports center got closed when i was orange belt :( . I can't find much Aikido here (Sport clubs crawl with Judo however).

5. Bethrezen

Bethrezen Valued Member

Like?

6. Moi

Aikido was what I was going to say. Maybe even become a ninja?

7. Bethrezen

Bethrezen Valued Member

Ninjutsu you mean? Well, currently that is what im thinking about the most. I'm not sure how good the school is though, even if it's linked to the teachings of Masaaki Hatsumi =/

8. Moi

Post the club on the Ninjutsu forum and see what they think

9. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Forget all that stuff and go and do Judo. :)

Seriously. Hard training, starting from standing so very self-defence applicable, including throws, groundwork, contact, and non-compliant.

In terms of grappling it doesn't get much better than that.

Mitch

10. spidersfrommars

spidersfrommars Valued Member

^ what he said! Seriously if you have the opertunity to do judo DO JUDO! It will give you a damn good skillset that you'll learn to apply in an alive and realistic fashion. Plus it's usually an awesome workout which is always a plus. Admitedly it doesn't cover weapons but for that you're better off cross training at an Iaido or kendo place (assuming japanese weapon work is the type that intrests you) So yea, get out there and try out judo you won't regret it!

11. YellowFury

YellowFury Valued Member

I would go with judo, too. Judo is usually much cheaper than bjj, uniforms are cheaper, too. It's more focused on throws, but that's not to say it lacks ground work. It's just that there's a time limit for the sport, which makes ground work pin based/quick finish based (but that might be more effective in real life). There's no striking or weaponry though. If you want that, go with jjj.

12. righty

righty Valued Member

Hmmm, don't you think you would expect a bit of a biased answer if you posted the question in one of the particular MA forums, in this case Judo?

Seriously if you've narrowed it down the best bet is to go to the classes of all three and see which one you enjoy more. Out of those you list JJJ is the only art that includes all aspects. However, you may find that the class style just doens't suit you.

13. Moi

Are you sure about the weapons?

14. benkei

benkei Valued Member

I don't mean to burst your bubble, but where exactly did you get the idea of catching people's strikes and turning them into "deadly joint locks"? Joint locks aren't deadly, unless you maybe crank their neck the right way. Go do judo, it will give you a nice grounding in reality....

15. Bethrezen

Bethrezen Valued Member

i meant it as powerful joint locks -.-

Well, weapon training is not that necessary, but training AGAINST weapons is what i actually want.

16. benkei

benkei Valued Member

I assume you mean knives and the like? Hmm, alot of schools claim to teach weapons defence. Is it any good? Most of the time it's garbage. I mean, you could theorise that going to jujutsu because they do weapons is a good idea, but odds are their weapons work is no more grounded in reality than the local karate mcdojo. If you find their weapon stuff is good, then lucky you.
    Generally though, if you're serious about learning weapons, I'd say pick your unarmed place to train first, and then take a serious look around at somewhere else to supplement you weapons training.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2009
  17. spidersfrommars

spidersfrommars Valued Member

If you do decide to ignore our advise (don't!) and do jjj be sure to ask if they spar/roll/ do randori if they say no then run for the hills! If they say yes watch a sparring session, do the throws look like judo? Does the ground work look like BJJ? Does the striking look like kyokushin? If so then you may have just found one of the decent JJJ dojos out there (they are few and far between). But really why take the risk when you could just DO JUDO!
    (also if you want to learn to defend against weapons take up sprinting)

18. EmptyHandGuy

EmptyHandGuy Valued Member

Have you thought about FMA? Does all you want and with weapons training aswell.

19. Bethrezen

Bethrezen Valued Member

Ok. Well i am thinking about a hybrid style currently, but if i decide taking grappling, from all these advices, i'll first to check out Judo.
    I've never heard of FMA.. What is that?

20. EmptyHandGuy

EmptyHandGuy Valued Member

Filipino Martial arts. Eskrima, Kali, Arnis? Covers everything from sticks to knives, swords etc to empty hand, kicking, trapping, grappling.