Judo bans chokeholds....

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Dead_pool, May 10, 2022.

1. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

.... For the over sixties, in Britain, in some events....

Masters/Veterans Rules Update - British Judo

I'd be interested in finding out why, I assume it's the massively increased stroke risk, especially now everyone has been exposed to COVID-19.

2. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Interesting, I know that there are already restrictions on competition for the type of arm locks (no shoulder lock?) So effectively they can only do arm bar or straight arm lock or pin in newaza.

I had read about the increase of blood clot chance from Chokes, even when you tap within reasonable time, but this has all be anecdotal and associated with media article when I have seen reference to it.

Dead_pool likes this.
  3. Pokitren

Pokitren New Member

Rather, what they meant was that the blood glued together when the asphyxiation occurred. And that can cause a blood clot. But without prerequisites it is impossible, i.e. the person should have had problems with it before.

4. Dead_pool

It's either because of the risks of carotid artery dissection, or general stroke risk.

Risk of general stroke increases massively with age.

Add in everyone having a higher risk because covid is now endemic, I can see why they did something about it.

I'd like to see some more information about it personally though.

Internal Carotid Artery Dissection in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

axelb likes this.
  5. Pokitren

Pokitren New Member

Yes, there are risks, but only in older people. That's why quarantine restrictions have been lifted in many countries. At least in the UK and Switzerland.

6. Dead_pool

That's not quite right, having covid whilst unvaccinated massively increased your stroke risk for upto a year, (at any age, but an increase of low risk is still low risk) however people have had ample time to get vaccinated now, so the restrictions have gone.

Which still means the stroke risk is increased for the general population, and aside from that the age based risk is always there, hence why they have banned choke holds for the older age groups.

The covid bit isn't the main reason, although it will of Increased the rates.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2022
    axelb likes this.