Jubilee Celebrations

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by embra, Jun 3, 2012.

1. embra

embra Valued Member

In 1970s I was just a tad rebellious, punk was all the rage and I was maybe a punk before it even happened.

Since then I have mellowed just a touch and ain't quite so rebellious - so hats of to Queenie (and the blessed wee corgies) on the big day. I did however hear that this has been banned from Amazon for some reason.

So best blast it out while it still stands and don't get removed!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqrAPOZxgzU&ob=av2n"]Sex Pistols - God Save The Queen - YouTube[/ame]

2. GSHAMBROOKE

GSHAMBROOKE Thats Tarm Sarm

I turned on for about five minutes and there was a boat load of people sailing up the Thames behind the Queen waving at the crowd and i thought who the hell are they:dunno:

Its clogging up my normal TV viewing.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  3. Putrid

Putrid Moved on

I find the entire thing to be utterly ridiculous.What other country would spend millions transporting an 86 year old woman up the Thames on a tarted up barge? Probably some third world communist dictatorship and the huge photos of her that lined the Thames reminded me of those seen in communist China and North Korea.At least in this country you don't get jailed for refusing to join in with this crap so perhaps we should be thankful for some small mercies.

4. Oddsbodskins

Oddsbodskins Troll hunter 2nd Class

Makes no odds to me. I was working.

5. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Despite all of the possible reasons for abolition, I'd still rather have the monarchy than be without.

Good on the old girl :cool:

God save the Queen, rule Brittania and all the rest of it. :)

6. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

meh
    dont care

Only thing that bothers me is the harper government spending millions of our taxpayers money for em to come here. and then saying they need to 'cut' things to save money.Wth?

that and I wish we could get rid of the monarchy. we're not britain anymore.

7. GSHAMBROOKE

GSHAMBROOKE Thats Tarm Sarm

We have enough Queens here anyway most of them live in Sydney.

8. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

As a Republican I have been avoiding all of it as best I can.

It's all a bit depressing for someone like me, really.

9. Oddsbodskins

Oddsbodskins Troll hunter 2nd Class

Damn jubilee, hospital coffee shop was closed for bank holidays when I went for my night shift last night. I hate nights at the best of times, but trying to do them decaff? The 'Happy Jubilee' note was just insulting as they denied me my latte...

10. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Managed to avoid it all so far. Can't turn on the wireless though without getting bombarded with a load of boring tosh about this jubilee thing.

11. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

FTFY.

She is a head of state and is therefore entitled to the same level of hospitality as any other head of state.

12. holyheadjch

Millions of people have gotten some enjoyment out of the festivities. As far as I'm concerned, that makes it a good use of a very small amount of taxpayer money.

The celebrations themselves were all funded by donations and corporate sponsorships. The only cost to the Treasury was in the form of extra policing and the like and a small increase in the Royal Household budget to account for the planning of the events.

Compared to the cost of the Olympics - cheap at half the price.

13. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

The whole sorry shower can have their heads chopped off as far as I'm concerned.

14. holyheadjch

boo - Republicans are so sulky.

15. Llamageddon

Ah, the conceit of power - also held prior to the 'Glorious', French and Russian Revolutions

16. holyheadjch

Yeah, those are some historical events to hitch your wagon to.

17. Llamageddon

The use of an example doesn't lend itself to endorsement.

18. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

Guys, you're missing the Royal Carriages heading down London way on TV... :D

19. Putrid

Putrid Moved on

I am sure these people would agree with you.........

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/jun/04/jubilee-pageant-unemployed

20. embra

embra Valued Member

Let them eat cake - Maire Antoinette (a long time ago) :)

There is no denying the appeal of the Queen and the Royal family to a lot of people - and not just in the UK. I read that 23% of French TV audiences have been glued to the Jubilee - pining for a regal past which they no longer have?

Along with Coronation Street, cups of tea, warm beer, holidays at Clacton-on-sea etc and other cultural icons of UK culture, the Royal family remain a convenient and comfortable diversion from some of the less palatable aspects of British society - chavs, drunkeness etc.

Im comfortable with all of that and everyone feeling British etc, and it probably does balance out for the betterment of society.

However, its just not my personal cuppa, Im still way too rebellious :evil: - but not a touch on my youth.

I read that even Vivien Westwood was a guest at the celebrations - what would her deceased hubby Malcolm McLaren think of it all!