Ju jitsu vs bjj

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by Markninja, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Markninja

Markninja Valued Member

I know a guy who said, when he was a bjj white belt he could easily out grapple ju jitsu black belts at his local club.
    Is Japanese ju jitsu inferior to bjj?
    Please don't take offense to this question - I'm genuinely interested in the answers of Japanese ju jitsu practitioners.

2. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

There are many types of japanese ju jutsu. There are many western schools which are not officially affiliated with a branch in japan which call themselves JJJ. It's not a stretch to say that many white belts in BJJ are capable of beating many black belts in JJJ, but then the ranking in BJJ is much steeper and many JJJ schools aren't geared towards applied fighting ability in the same way BJJ schools are.

3. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

Edit: kurta put it better. But don't underestimate your opponent. There are some decent jjj schools.

4. righty

righty Valued Member

They are just ... different.

Some JJJ schools will put a lot more emphasis on ground work and some of them will not. So if you are comparing skill at grappling it's a bit like apples and oranges.

If you are solely interested in grappling on the ground, then you would be best off studying BJJ rather than JJJ. But that does not mean JJJ inferior, just different.

I know JJJ who compete in BJJ (hell, I am one of them) and don't do badly.

5. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

what martial arts is it you have been doing for 10 years again ? you would think with so much experience you would know the answer's to many of the overdone, crap stirring questions you seem to ask in every thread you make ?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  6. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

Case in point seems kind of strange that someone who has claimed to have had experience in both these arts would have to ask this question and not know its been done to death, also haven't you said your from glasgow before, out of interest where did you train sambo and judo ?

7. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

As some have already said there are many types of JJJ each with slightly different approaches. So while we may be able to give you a generic answer it's not going to be worth much.

So with that in mind please give us a context under which these two hypothetical opponents will meet.

We'll leave aside the "my mate' friend's tennis partner's tortoise said......" statements.

Also I'll echo the comments made about your "experience" you've mentioned, many of your posts do not fit with what you claim. It makes me think that many of your threads are not posted out of sincerity but simply from an urge to troll. Well that or you have been less than honest about your background.

8. robin101

robin101 Working the always shift.

hmmmmm

when he said grappling did he mean pure groundwork ? or all of grappling including throws, clinching and striking from the clinch.

If it was pure groundwork then thats easy. BJJ is 90 percent groundwork based in most cases. Whereas JJJ has strikes, throws, standing grappling and groundwork in different measures depending on the school.

Of course someone who has had 10 hours of grappling a week is going to beet a guy who has 2 hours a week. Even if the white belt had only studied a couple months. it would give him alot of grappling experience. against hugely experienced groundwork guys.

Also the only way your history in MMA makes sense is if you tried some of these for 2 sessions or something.

9. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Japanese jujutsu is better then pretend western jujutsu, both judo and bjj are better at their specialities.

You also have to add into this freestyle jjj schools who use bjj techniques and methodology without actually having direct teachers. These are normally ok but not as good as having a proper bjj teacher. This also applies to some smalltown mma gyms.

10. Markninja

Markninja Valued Member

he said they started standing but I don't think they were using any strikes.

11. Markninja

Markninja Valued Member

What's "pretend western jujutsu" ?

12. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

It means those schools - and there are plenty - where they do passable judo with a bit of karate and a few jointlocks and call it Ju Jutsu

Not that these arts lack merit as combat systems (although many do) just that they are not technically JJ as they are not an original ryu, nor do they have ties to such

13. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

You called? ;)

14. Dead_pool

I wouldnt call wjjf/bjjf etc as passable judo.

15. Jumonkan

Jumonkan Valued Member

BJJ is JJJ

Brazilian Jiujitsu comes from Judo, Judo comes from Japanese Jujutsu. There all cousins you might say. The following statement is not directed toward anyone on this forum.

I'm kind of tired of this question to be honest. I have a third Dan in an American form of Jujutsu and I have and can beat BJJ White belts, blue belts, purple belts and rolled to a draw with a brown belt. I have never had the chance to roll with a BJJ black belt but would love to if I had the chance, admittedly I would most likely get beat by the black belt but I should because he should be a 4th or 5th dan really. It's not about the different system it all comes down to how you train. You fight how you train end of story. :hat:

16. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

Ignoring age, body strength, talent, luck, and time spent training, in terms of just grappling combat, I'd say that BJJ has a higher success rate compared the Ju Jutsu, for the following reasons:

BJJ mainly focuses on teaching and learning one area of fighting, ground grappling, and they do a damn good job of it. Ju Jutsu on the other hand sometimes may not focus on just ground grappling, losing the specialization in it, as they have other areas to work on, which brings me to my next point.

Ju Jutsu has many different Ryu's, or schools, and each Ryu focuses on different things. Some may have more striking of grappling, more grappling then weapon work, and more weapon work then striking. They become sort of a jack of all trades at times, and that can either be bad or good, depending on how you train.

The Ju Jutsu I practice for example (a basterdized Western one) frequently incorporates Randori into every class for at least 20-30 minute. However, even though we have Randori 4 out of 5 times, our main bulk of time is spent of escaping from and/or eliminating a threat, incorporating strikes, joint locks, and take downs.

Each school of Jujutsu is different, and quality control is another issue, as Jujutsu schools can range from absolute garbage to good, solid realistic training. BJJ for the most part has a better quality control.

17. Dead_pool

I Call bullshido on your story of hanging with brown belts.

Edit after watching senso ryu on youtube I call bullshido on you hanging with white belts.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  18. SenseiMattKlein

SenseiMattKlein Engage, Maverick

I have trained in both, and I will say in general BJJ is superior on the ground, because they focus on it. Traditional jujutsu incorporates more stand up and throws, at least where I studied. As such, it was more practical for overall self defense. Although I will say, if you combine BJJ with a striking art, you have a formidable combination.

19. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

What style of JJJ have you studied?

20. SenseiMattKlein

SenseiMattKlein Engage, Maverick

I trained under the Shinbudo style, which was based on Tenjin Shinyo Ryu Ju Jitsu and Daito Ryu. It was an excellent school for practical self defense, and we did lots of grappling. I learned heaps. But after taking up BJJ recently, I still feel BJJ is the best for ground fighting.