Ju Jitsu in London?

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by StMatthias, Sep 9, 2012.

1. StMatthias

StMatthias Valued Member

Hey everybody,

In my quest to try and find a martial art to train in, JJJ came up. I did a quick google search and found these places:

London Jujitsu
    Jitsu foundation
    London Ju Jitsu Club.

Naturally I don't know if any of these places are any good. So I decided to ask the experts...but they weren't available so I came here to ask you guys :p
    Are any of these any good? Or are there much better places in London where I should be looking?

Matt.
    :love:

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Can you get to Staines? If so I recommend this club. Run by Alansmurf, a regular here on MAP.

3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

4. StMatthias

StMatthias Valued Member

Ah, you've preempted me. I was looking at this place and I thought it looked too good to be true and was going to ask. I take it this place is awesome then.

And sadly mate, no, Staines is literally at the other end of London to me (and then some). Cheers anyway.

5. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Where are you in London? I would suggest AlanSmurf's school but you also have
    Mill Hill BJJ (Gracie)
    Urban Kings MMA (Kings Cross)
    SOAS BJJ (Russel Square,Kings Cross)

6. Dead_pool

The Uks oldest Dojo, World class judo, world class BJJ, plus they have real koryu. Did I mention due to it being a judo centre its very reasonable in Fees too!

7. Dead_pool

Seconded

8. StMatthias

StMatthias Valued Member

I am in Canning Town (near the O2), but travel is not such an issue (as long as it's in London). I asked in another thread, but being as you're here - what are Urban Kings like? Their website is good, and their facilities look good, but I imagine that, that comes with a bit of a price.

Really the UK's oldest dojo? Are you sure about the Koryu? They call it Hontai Yoshin Ryu on the website?

9. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Yes the koryu is legit.

Koryu is a catch all term for certain Japanese arts that, as a general rule, pre-date the Meiji restoration.

Think of them as classical arts.

10. Dead_pool

11. Counter Assault

Counter Assault Valued Member

Yes you should try Ju-Do jujitsu at the budokwai.

They teach the real jujitsu! just like the samurai learnt

Mondays 20.00 - 21.30
    Tuesdays & Thursdays 18.30 - 21.00
    Friday 20.00 - 21.30
    Saturdays 16.30 - 18.00

Turn up and ask them what kind of goat you have to sacrifice to join, they will know what to do.

12. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I've been a couple of times and enjoyed the training, however that was wrestling with Pete Irving. I've got friends who still train there and enjoy it, good crowd. Lots of competitors but you dont need to compete if you dont want to. You'll recognise a few faces if you follow the sport.

I trained in a gym once in Canning Town, pretty sure theres a group there. But cant remember their name (was a boxing gym hired out).

If price is an issue, SOAS BJJ (Russel Sq) was £10 a go if i remember correctly. Luis Tosta (also linked with Hooks/London Shoot)

13. StMatthias

StMatthias Valued Member

Is Peacocks the gym you mean? It's not bad there.
    I am interested in that Urban Kings so I will have to see about the price. As long as it's not too far over £50 a month (less would be even better) then my missus can't moan at me.

14. Dead_pool

Many full time gyms will have a range of price options, But Mma and BJJ is expensive, and you are in london.

15. StMatthias

StMatthias Valued Member

I contacted the Budokwai and they said for Judo and BJJ there's no free trial, but I can go and take part/watch for about £7/8. And I just sent an email to the guy who runs the Koryu, a guy called Mike McClure (anyone heard of this guy? Anything to report?). So I will keep you posted on that.

And I saw that the Urban Kings have a range of options, so I'll drop them a line too and see what they say...then report back.

16. Brixtonbodunwel

Brixtonbodunwel Valued Member

I met Dr Mike Mclure inthe 90s he is a 110% Kosher and a dimond chap to boot. He went to Japan in the late 80s to train firectly with Inoue and I think was graded by him. He is very geniune and passionate about what he does.His oppo run a club at Latchmere Sports centre in Battersea but if you are canning town then the jouney is a bit of an horse and cart.
    Norh London has a lot of good clubs run by former students of Dick Morris(I dont know if Dick is still gonig but I think his son has a club). I thnk Tottenham Ju Jitsu club springs to mind and they have a website do check first. Very best of luck

17. StMatthias

StMatthias Valued Member

Cheers mate.

Emailed him, and the club secretary and still have nothing back. Will probably just turn up at the Budokwai on Wednesday and see if I can jump in then.

18. Dean Winchester

That might be fine for the Judo and BJJ but it may not be appropriate for the Koryu.

Whilst each Koryu is different they all observe and expect a certain sense of propriety.

19. StMatthias

StMatthias Valued Member

Well like I said, I tried contacting them directly. And the people at the Budokwai themselves said I should probably turn up on the Wednesday and see if I can have a word then.

20. Dean Winchester

Each one is different, I just wanted to give you a heads up just in case.

Good luck with your practice.

:)