Ju jitsu competitions

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by mani, Oct 28, 2006.

1. mani

mani Valued Member

Hello people,

Im going to be going to my first Ju Jitsu class at Brunel univeristy this tuesday. This will be first experience in a martial arts that contains grappling. I wanted to know if Ju Jitsu competitions also allow strickes (punching and kicking) or is it same as Judo.

Thanks

2. Dropbear

Dropbear Valued Member

and you don't know what the rules are yet?

3. Sever

Sever Valued Member

It stands to reason that he won't know the rules if he's going to his first class ;)
    Competition rules depend a lot on the style. BJJ comp rules don't generally allow striking, some JJJ comps have separate randori, striking and grappling divisions etc. Is it JJJ or BJJ you'll be doing? BJJ tends to have a lot more competitions than JJJ

4. mani

mani Valued Member

Thanks sever for the info, im actually just going to be doing Ju Jitsu so I hope competitions do allow strikes All I know the club is linked with http://www.jitsufoundation.org and that the uni club will be competing at the atemi nationals which I am also new to, and cant seem to find the rules for that anywhere

Thanks, mani

5. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

It's basically the "show off" competition for our style. There's no official points system, you just get through if you look good enough at the techniques you've been taught. Essentially the whole competition boils down to 3 things that I've seen:

1) a good chance to meet up and train with various other Foundation clubs from around the UK
    2) a good laugh, especially if you get through to the finals
    3) a good excuse for a great night out!

6. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

That pretty much sums up what we've been told by our instructor and by Eric Lau (who was here at the weekend) :)

mani - if you are going to the nationals, give me a yell as I'm heading there too :)

7. Aegis

I should hopefully be there for the night out and the course on the second day... First day conflicts with MAP snowboarding though!

8. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

There you go then! Mini MAP meet after a full sized MAP meet! :D

See you there mara :D

9. mani

mani Valued Member

Thanks guys for the input abobut this atemi thing, yea it sounds cool but not what I expected and if I do go I will give you guys a shout. Other than this is there any other competitions that universities normally enter?

10. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

The TJF website mentions the Randori Nationals in March link.

11. Aegis

They're basically judo competitions. And another excuse for a lot of drinking/turning up drunk on the mat the next day.