Ju Jitsu Check-in

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by mhyst, Feb 12, 2005.

1. mhyst

mhyst New Member

How come 31 people voted in the bjj/jjj pole, but only 17 people have introduced themselves. Come on people! Tell us about you! And thanks to everyone else, hello! :rolleyes:

2. kungfoo

kungfoo New Member

Some people don't have much to say I guess ;)

I've been learning Jiu-Jitsu for about 9 months. I started with a modern JJ school (not a ryu, just an acronym) and liked it, but I moved on to doing BJJ when I learnt the importance of 'alive' training, which was non-existant in the modern JJ.

I'm also considering taking up Judo to keep learning the throwing side of things.

3. Chief Corn

Chief Corn New Member

well this is pretty much going to be the same as my first post in the introductory forum. i'm 21 yrs old, 5'4", 155lbs (i'm short, not stocky, not fat, not cut...no clue where the weight comes from?), and brand new to martial arts. i started gracie jiu-jitsu just this weekend at the gracie academy here in southern california. i'm setup for free unlimited training until the end of april...then it's $60/month to train just once a week since that's all i could afford. i hope i get something out of this once a week deal.

4. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

wow, $15 per session sounds fairly expansive.... how long are the lessons? I would hope at that price you'd be getting at least 2 hours preferably 3.

Welcome to the Jujutsu bit of MAP! (that goes for everyone who's posted since my last comment in here :D)

5. Chief Corn

Chief Corn New Member

unfortunately it's just 1hr classes. i'll be training under rorion, and his sons.

and then that price range is if you're 21 and under. for 22 and above it's $90/month once a week...so yea i'm quitting there before i turn 22 this november. that place is a cash cow.

6. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Don't blame you! I don't care how famous they are, that's ridiculously expensive for 1 hour a week!

7. special43543

special43543 Special Member

I am training twice a week, one hour for $60. The prices are 2x a week for $60, 3x for $70, and unlimited for $90. They offer 11 hours of class a week, so 44 hours of class a month for $90 is fairly reasonable I think...that is if someone were crazy enough to go 44 hours a week.

Also, in 2 weeks my school is starting up MMA which I have become very excited about. The only problem is I don't know if I will have enough time/money to join it. You also have to have at least 3 months of BJJ before entering the MMA class, which I don't have yet. MMA is growing slowly but surely :D

8. Daffy

Daffy Valued Member

Hi, my name is Doug, I am 20 years old. I started Jujitsu yesturday at the Bushido Kai Academy and so far I like it. I trained TKD and boxing before, but stop'd due to not having the time to train because of university and training for lifeguarding. Now that the lifeguard training is done I have found time again and I decided to try Jujitsu. Other then that I don't know what to put here!

Cheers!

-Doug

Last edited: Apr 19, 2005
  9. Garibaldi

Garibaldi Valued Member

Hi I'm Gary

I've studied Martial Arts since 19 (I'm 36 now)...started off with Kung Fu and did about 8 years of Wing Chun, then moved to Lau Gar. Sometime in mid 90s I broke my foot sparring and while casted-up, got hold of a video of UFC2! That made me want to change everything! Took up Trad Japanese JuJitsu, there was NO BJJ/Gracie clubs anywhere near me then, probably nowhere in UK!!) and have studied that religiously for 9 years now!

I run my own little club in darkest Taunton...(That's in the South West of UK) under my Sensei, Ian Rossiter.

(plus I'm BJJ Blue - awarded by Roberto Atalla)

That's me in brief...

10. mrfu

mrfu New Member

Hi im Mrfu, 2nd dan instructor in jin soku ju-jitsu. I have been studing now for about 10 years in ju-jitsu under the instruction of malcolm holmes shihan 7th dan who is one of richard morris soke 10th dan students. Before this i have studied other 'arts' such as boxing, muay thai, tang-so-doo, judo and karate but found ju-jitsu suited me. I have been on many courses over the years, some good, some bad. I have met some great instructors of other arts, such as bob spour of pria-pyacha muay-thai, paul wheel of jakado kick boxing, craig finch of matsuri kai karate etc who have given me a greater understanding of other martial arts.

11. firesprite

firesprite Irate Pirate

Heylo I'm Katherine. Started BJJ (Machado-Will school) about six months or so ago to compliment my TKD, and quickly became addicted. :D

Last edited: Apr 22, 2005
  12. snailfist

snailfist Valued Member

Snailfist here, otherwise known as Rob.
    I was introduced to MA in a roundabout fashion by a friend who encouraged me and other friends to come along to a class he attended with a shortage of members. After about a year of posting on here*, talking to other members of that club and cynical observation I left that McDojo (* hence it's pretty well documented lol), but have spent the last year or so training in a club recommended to me by a senior I met through the last club and would never have found out about otherwise, so I guess that was worth it in the end. I'm a yellow belt, working on my green. AS levels and a girlfriend of just under 2 yrs strictly forbid cross training at the minute lol. In the future I'd like to do Wing chun or possibly JKD tho.

13. Dropbear

Dropbear Valued Member

*waves*

hullo.. I'm Ian, aka Dropbear (aussie mythical creature used to frighten american servicemen and japanese tourists)

I study Tsutsumi Hozan Ryu under Sensei Dunn in Adelaide, SA. S. Dunn was a student of Shihan Jan de Jong, late of Perth WA.

Been doing it since Feb 2004 and loving it, although a series of ligament injuries are slowing down my progress a bit now (I'm in my late 30's). Did some Judo and Aikido when just a bear cub.

14. dome49

dome49 New Member

hello everyone im dome49 aka domenico. I started Koryukan Jujutsu (traditional) last week and i am enjoying it immensely. I had previously done a little bit of TKD, Judo and GRW when i was younger. Out of the three, i only remember enough of Judo for it to be useful.

Anyway, just thought id introduce myself.... :)

15. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

Hey. Tekkengod here. you all know me and i'm sure most of you hate me for my use of inductive reasoning and espousing realistic training, but thats the beauty that is JJ.

1st Dan in Jujitsu. it was my first art. love it to death, GNP and CNL all the way.

16. RYO9

RYO9 New Member

Hey all,

My names Ryan really, but the RYO9 comes from the name I use on all the 9 mech assault games I have held/hold the high score on. Anyway, I don't take a class persay, but I have learned it through friends that have learned it through there many years. I also hold a black belt in JKD, and train FMA. I've been doing JKD for over 8 years, FMA for about 5 and grappling wheather it be JJ or shooto for about 6. I also have an addiction for MT.

Mullins

17. Duncan!

Duncan! New Member

Hi, I'm Duncan and I took up Ju-jitsu about a month ago. I'm enjoying it and I plan to keep going. I am also an 8th kyu at Karate (recommenced last month after 2 years training 8 years ago, aged 9-10)

18. Kimura

Kimura New Member

hello everyone i study gracie juijitsu under chris lord i love it is addicting. and not to mention we also do submission fighting and im pretty much an mma fanatic its my life.

19. Developing

Developing Valued Member

Hi everyone I've been studying Vee-Arnis Jui Jitsu for the last 5 years and am in love with it.

20. beef

beef New Member

Hello, I've finally succumbed to JuJitsu!

I've just joined the Jikishin Jujitsu Association and go to the Billericay Class and am thoroughly loving it! They place quite a lot of emphasis on striking in their class - so much so that I'm giving up Wing Chun for it. I'm still going Chin Na every now and then as it complements quite well.

At the moment it's just one class a week but I might go to a different branch on Sundays which has more groundwork involved.