Ju Jitsu Book Recommendations please

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by SoKKlab, Aug 14, 2003.

1. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Hello you Lovely People,
    Would you be so kind as to suggest some good books on Ju Jitsu?

If possible ones that are applicable in a general sense to Japanese Ju Jitsu, across older and more modern Ryus and not so much something that deals with one specific style.

My purpose is to use them for technical revision in terms of Headlocks, Locks, Throws, Groundwork etc.

Any suggestions would be welcomed, but personal opinions and recommendations would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

search amazon.com. Small cirle jujitsu and the book by george kirby look like good reads. Are you practicing japanese jujitsu or brazilian jiujitsu?

3. cal_JJJ

cal_JJJ New Member

Hi SoKKlab;

"Jujitsu: Techniques & Tactics" by Musser. Title is a little miss-leading as it is just a basic intro.

"small-circle Jujitsu" by Prof. Jay. A good technical book on locks but he does everything from set-ups & comes off a bit stilted to some people.

"Jujitsu: Basic Techniques" by George Kirby. Is a fair read

Aikido & the Dynamic Sphere" by Westbrook. Is a good read for body movement, hand throws, & arm throws. But, I will say that I have issues w/ the local Aikido schools in my area - but a fairly good read for Jujitsu students all the same.

Hope this helps:cool:

4. morphus

morphus Doobrey

I've got the small circle Ju Jitsu by Wally Jay - good book.
    A lot of pictures of tech's with discriptions plus some history & philosophy at the beginning.

5. SoKKlab

Thanks for the replies so far guys.

I've had a look at the Wally Jay book, it looks a decent, well planned out book and I have considered buying it. I'll track down the others and have a look at them too, i'm sure that they are all good quality and worth a buy as well.

I'll be shopping for some selections soon, as I need to revise techniques etc

So please keep the suggestions coming.

6. Sub zero

Sub zero Valued Member

This isn't really a book to help with jj training.But i have been very strongly recomended to buy it by everyone at my JJ club.

"Angry white pyjamas" by robert twigger.
    It follows his (an oxford poet) gonig through the very tough one year long tokyo riot police course (which is what is left of the imperial gaurd).

I know it's aikido and not JJ but i've been told it's excelent so i'l tell u what it's like in a few days when i get it.

Or has any one else read it already?

Is it only JJ books u want soKKlab?

7. SoKKlab

Thanks Sub Zero,
    I'm looking for good Technical Ju Jitsu books, so that I can revise my techniques and remember the Japanese terminology for each one (The Bane of my life at present).

So recapping on technical stuff is the name of the game.

8. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

--- what terms in particular are you trying to remember?

9. SoKKlab

Er, Anything in Japanese.....

10. cal_JJJ

cal_JJJ New Member

You might want to narrow that down some Sokklab. It kind of matters if your refering the Japanese names of techniques.
    For example: the books " Japan's Ultimate Martial Art", Jujitsu - Basic Techniques" & " The Dynamic Circle" all refer to sim. techniques but use somewhat diff. names due to there diff. Ryu origins. So, you might want to pick books w/ system origins that you are interested in.

But if you just want to study technique mechanics and pick up general Japanese terminology, then it doesn't matter much.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2003
  11. SoKKlab

Yes that's pretty much it, hence why I am going on a buying spree v.soon to get myself some stuff so that I can, like a good student, revise my techniques, mechanics in terms of body positioning in locks, throws, sweeps etc (So that I am using correct form and not just lobbing people over with muscle) and gen up on the Japanese terminology.

Particularly as I don't want to mess up at a grading, just because I can't remember the Japanese for something, even though I know the throw, sweep etc.

12. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

shootme a Pm with your email add and I'll send u a list of japanese terms

13. SoKKlab

Thanks for the offer, but I have a couple of sites that I regularly look at to brush up on my Japanese for the techniques. But, as I say, thank you Machine.