jr Olympics & jr US Open question

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Done-Gone, Mar 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Done-Gone

Done-Gone Banned Banned

Jimmy Pedro is the only Judoka to win the U.S. jr Olympics 3 consecutive times in a row.

My former student - Brian Abreu is the only Judoka to win the jr U.S. Open 3 consecutive times in a row. Brian also won the U.S. jr Olympics in 2008 & 2009 - but placed 3rd in 2010.

Is it too soon to start making comparisons?

BTW: Brian is a lefty... maybe he should be compared to Mike Swain as well.

Brian came very close to a triple/double (2008-2010) - has anyone ever won both events 3 consecutive times in a row?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  2. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

Yes IMHO, the child has obviously done very well and is skilled for his level. However, I don't see how any meaningful comparison can be made with elite level players. If he continues to win high level tournaments as he ages then he may be a future prospect at seniors, but only time will tell.

P.S. Is he old enough to enter the junior worlds? or is there a pan-american tournament for his age group?

3. Done-Gone

Done-Gone Banned Banned

I'm not trying to compare him to Pedro and his long and successful Judo career, not yet anyways, although, there are plenty of similarities... but I believe Brian can achieve and perhaps surpass those from Pedro, if he continues to train hard and remains injury free.

He turned 13 in Dec 2010 - yes there is a Pan Am tournament for his age group. Next year he'll be old enough to compete in the jr Worlds - we'll see what happens then.

4. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

Best of luck to him then.

5. Done-Gone

Done-Gone Banned Banned

Thanks a bunch. :D

6. Santa Barbara

Santa Barbara Valued Member

Hmmm... lets see. Pedro is the only jr olympic champion 3 times in a row and your ex student Abreu is the only us jr open champion 3 times in a row.

the answer to your question is NO! No triple/double champion. I bet you already knew that.

7. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

I love the smell of sycophancy in the morning.

Also, JC - you know that problem you were having with people accusing you of constantly pimping out your students? Guess what you spend most of your time doing on here? This is a forum to discuss martial arts, not to keep going on about how great your kids are and how amazing a teacher you are.

You can either stop it or start paying for every ad you place on here.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  8. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Santa Barbara/Judo Champion: unless you can provide a satisfactory explanation as to why you appear to be duplicate accounts sharing an IP address you will both have to be banned as duplicate accounts are against ToS.

Mitch

9. Santa Barbara

Sounds like you are trying to find out if we are married to each other, once again. lol

I may not have much to offer this forum but JC is another story. Getting banned from this forum will mean little or nothing to me. I will not be missed either, I know. I dont understand why you would think we are duplicate accounts sharing the same IP. I am using a computer at work through kproxy and I've never used my own laptop to get on map. Hundreds if not thousands of people use the several dozen computers throughout the facilities each day. Maybe JC is one of them too. :D

10. Llamageddon

So you work together then?

Also, you work somewhere that allows you to use a proxy?

And if you're not married to him, if you don't work with him, and if you're not him - how do you know him? Or did you sign up to randomly brown nose him?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  11. Santa Barbara

I just don't think it's anybody's business if we work together, live together or even know each other at all. What's it to ya? There are far more important questions to ask of our map members. Non personal question.

12. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I think it because you are using the same IP and regularly do.

Unless there is an explanation I will be forced to conclude that you are a duplicate account and ban both users. If you would rather discuss it by PM I am absolutely happy with that but I expect an answer.

See you after class.

Mitch

13. Llamageddon

So you're using the same IP address, but you won't explain why that is apart from that you might use the same computers at your work... And now you won't even confirm that? If you'd like to do it in a PM, feel free.

Otherwise I feel a ban coming on...

14. Santa Barbara

Llama & TKDM, please read your PM. I hope to hear from one or both of you soon. xoxo

15. Santa Barbara

Defenition of pimping: to sell or rent someone out for sexual services in exchange for cash or otherwise, and keep the profit for ones self. I guarantee, that is not what JC is doing. To imply or suggest such a thing is insulting and disrespectful, especially considering it's coming from a mod on this forum.

16. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

In modern usage the term 'pimping' can also mean 'to advertise or promote' - e.g. MAPper X only comes here to pimp his website.

17. Llamageddon

Santa Barbara - you knew exactly what I meant. To try to twist my words and misrepresent me is just as, if not more, disrespectful.

18. Santa Barbara

I meant no disrespect. I didn't twist your words or misrepresent you in any way. I gave my interpretation of a word you used to describe JC's actions on this forum. The one mostly used when giving the meaning of the word. Perhaps the word has another meaning in "modern usage", example: crack (the split on a wall), crack (modern day drug), crack (female privates) but then again, many words do. However, the true definition of the word remains the same.

I apologize if I've offended you, it's definitely not what I had in mind, not by a long shot.

19. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

I'm a friend of JC, he has been real nice to me. SB contacted me and asked me to read this and see if I can help. Well I have, and by any yards the mods have reasonable requests. They want to know why u share an IP and how you know each other. This is important (you want to know whats it to ya) because one person can't have more than one account on here. Also, if you don't break a rule, why do you feel you need a proxy if you have one. (a proy can hide your address.) If you do know each other, why hide the fact. why be so secretive and say what's it to ya? Why is there a problem with simply saying yes we know each other and share an IP from time to time. That's all they want to know. So its the mod's business cause they have to enforce the rules. You can just tell them through a PM, the general public doesn't need to know, but mods and admins do.

Also, Llama, psycophant? Isnt that a bit much? The definition of this is a self serving flatterer, a parasite. I can see why saying how one's students won this and that can be considered self serving, as if one does it too much it can be taken as advertising one's dojo. But I don't think he's "flattering" as flattery means excessive praise that is not sincere. I don't believe he is not sincere when he praises his students. I also don't think he is a 'parasite' However, I do believe that he should tone it down a great deal. In fact, Mr Perez, I have an idea for you. :)

Why don't you just have it in your sig for example, who you are and what you do, kinda what you have now only say you're a judo instructor, and instead of simply writing about your students all the time, how they won this and that, use your judo knowldge to help out less experienced judokas on here and say when noobs sign up here to the forum asking 'which MA is best for me'? You can also help them see if Judo could be good for them. Cause i mean saying how good your student did is not really helping anyone.

That's how you could be real good on here. Cause I can see how a forum would love to have an experienced award winning instructor such as yourself helping out younger less experienced MA'ists. Well that's how you can help.

Think about it. :)

20. Llamageddon

I wasn't calling JC a sycophant, I was calling SB a sycophant. Far too many posts are running to the rescue or singing the praises of JC. So much so that we as mods find it suspect. Especially with a shared IP address. As for the definition of the word, it can still be used in this context, as the semi colons indicate different contextual uses.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.