Jowga kung fu?

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by dragon619, Aug 30, 2012.

1. dragon619

dragon619 Valued Member

Can any one give me more information on this style like:
    *The types of kicks and punches.
    *Whether there are grappling, takedowns, throws etc.
    *Whether there are locks or something.

Pls tell me all you know about this style?
    Also is it effective in fighting?

2. Nojon

Nojon Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein

I remember reading about this system a few years back. I cant tell you about the self defense aspects, I do know that it incorporates forms from Hung Gar in it. There was another system mentioned, that it draws influences from but I cant recall the name. Sorry, thats all ive got.

3. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Jow Gar is a Cantonese system that blends Hung Gar, Choy Gar (some say CLF though) and Northern Shaolin. It's essentially a southern longarm system, similar to Choy Li Fut, making use of full extension in punching, active footwork and the usual southern 5 animals stuff as well. Pretty much all traditional Chinese martial arts contain takedowns, throws and jointlocks, but it depends on the school how much they're taught. Again in and of themselves all TCMA are good for fighting, but it needs to be trained in a functional manner to make it useful.

4. dragon619

dragon619 Valued Member

Is jowga close range or long range?

Or can jow ga be used in both close range fighting and long range fighting?

5. dragon619

dragon619 Valued Member

Does jowga have iron palm or iron body training?

Does jowga training include iron palm or iron body training? Also some schools teach Tiet sin kuen(Iron wire fist). Does iron wire fist make iron body?

6. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Yes
    Likely depends on the school
    Kinda

7. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

You might be confusing iron wire with iron shirt – tid sin kuen the iron wire form comprises breathing, dynamic tension and relaxation, movements to massage the internal organs, mental / emotional exercises that stimulate the endocrine system and fighting techniques.

As with many types of fighting chi gung it has a greater effect on strengthening the tendons and other soft tissues than on the muscles, hence iron wire.

One story says that it choreographed by Ti Ku Sam for a friend who was sick to build up his strength.