Journal of Aaradia's MA Journey

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by aaradia, Feb 14, 2015.

1. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Monday, March 30, 2015

6:30 - Stick fighting class. The instructor had us experimenting/ playing with a different basic guard position than the one we are taught. It was really weird after being trained in the guard position we are used to. Always something new and interesting in this class.

7:00 Private lessons. 1st half TCC. She brought out the notes on the corrections from my test and we started going over them in a real organized fashion.

2nd half - CLF. Focus on detailing out and corrections for the Small Five Animal form.
    Got maybe a third of the way(?) through the tournament version of the form. (Tournament version meaning shortened to fit in the time frame (1 minute and 30 seconds) for performing the form at our tournament.

After talking about my stance training (it came up from a correction she was giving me) I dropped down into a horse stance and asked her if I was truly getting lower of if it was wishful thinking. She confirmed I was getting lower and said my legs looked good. But I was hunching my back. She talked to me about posture- straightening my shoulders and back. This has been a theme in all my training lately. She said it was the biggest thing I could do to overall improve all my MA's. This isn't new, but it is becoming a bigger focus than in years past. Time to really fix a lifetime of bad posture and what it is doing to me.

8:00 - going over corrections from CLF lesson and writing them down.

8:30 - Discussed tournament with another student. Was offering words of encouragement.

8:40 - Slow Motion Kicks. Did not put foot down on right side and put foot down once on left side.

8:45 - 9:15 School closes at 9:00, but I was practicing out behind the school as the instructors were in the big room and the mats in the other rooms were wet from being cleaned. Tournament weapon techniques and more Small Five animal form

Rest day from Stance Training

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  2. Heraclius

Heraclius BASILEVS Supporter

Just curious, is this with long sticks, short sticks or both/either?

3. aaradia

Padded sticks, but they have some pipe thing inside the padding, so they still hurt and can bruise. Still, softer than straight out sticks.

I would say on the longer side. But we have recently played a bit with very short padded sticks too. And our instructors says we will do more of that after our upcoming tournament.

I'll try and post a picture of them when I get back tonight.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  4. aaradia

Ok, home now. Here is an image that looks pretty much like what the sticks we use look like. I think the core is PVC - I think that is some sort of pipe? Not sure.....

Edit. Here is an image that gives you an idea of the length of the sticks. This is some promo image from my school's website. Thinking about it, If I hold my stick in my hand with my arm down, it is more or less the length of my arm- so yeah- probably pretty long? Don't know what the average is considered in styles that focus on stick fighting.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

5. aaradia

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Today was supposed to be a day of rest, but it didn't work out that way. I normally work a night shift, but we had the day off due to a state holiday - Cesar Chavez day. Still, I was going to rest today.......but instead I had a break in my routine that was quite refreshing. I got an opportunity for an extra lesson AND a new experience for push hands practice. So I took advantage of these.

5:15ish - Stretching

5:30 - Private lesson (CLF)- continuing to work on corrections/ details of Small Five Animal Form. My instructor is giving a couple of extra lessons to her students to prepare for tournament. :hat:

6:00 -writing down corrections from lesson and stance training.

Horse - 1 minute and 10 seconds
    Bow - 1 minute and 10 seconds
    Cross Step - 40 seconds
    Slanted Horse - 1 minute
    Horse - 2nd round - 45 seconds
    Bow - 2nd round - 1 minute and 5 seconds
    Crane - 50 seconds
    Kneeling Horse - 15 seconds

I did the horse stances against a wall. Recommended my my instructor last night when we were talking about me getting a feel for not slouching/ hunching. See, when she had me up straight, it felt like I was leaning back. So I don't even know what being straight in posture properly feels like. My hunching feels straight to me.

I told a couple of instructors I see regularly to tell me if they see my posture being poor too. I think I am even going to ask some co-workers to tell me too. I know- weird - but I need to fix this. Not just for my martial arts, but for my life. I am convinced MA's are saving me from ending up being that little old hunch backed lady a few decades down the road.

My times are definitely not as long when I do my stance training all together vs various stances throughout the day. But my times all together are inching up :D 5 seconds at a time, but definitely improving. I think I will continue to mix it up and do both types of training.

6:40 - drove to...........................

7:00 - a Meet Up group (some Internet thing) for push hands. This is a local Meet Up group. Anyone of any background can join in and practice push hands. It is a chance to play people outside my school with different backgrounds. I usually don't get to go because their meet up times conflict with either work our my workout schedule. But, since today is normally a rest day and I had it off work, I decided to go.

I went once before and it was a fun experience. But, honestly, I was by far the most experienced person before. There were four of us total. Two beginning level and one with more experience than that. Now one can always learn from those of any skill level and develop certain skills, but I didn't play full on - well - because that wouldn't have been very nice. I would not have been a good practice partner.

This time we met at a guy's TCC studio. Only it turned out he isn't really open or teaching yet. He does have a breed of dog at the studio that is his first business. So I got to play with puppies! That was cool!

The guy who will one day run a school there hurt his back, so he couldn't play. There was one other person. So I played him. Like before, I became aware that I had more experience. But this young man was pretty good. So I didn't really have to hold back very much. I just didn't go all out at times I could have.

What was strange for me both times is the people are very lax. We have very specific rules and well, when I asked the rules- no one knew. So I just went with it. It was interesting dealing with things against the rules in my school, like hooking the back. But I found I could adapt and those rule differences really didn't affect me.

So it is interesting playing people with a very different way of doing things. This guy would have his one hip turned back, like almost sideways. That is very different from my school. And he would collapse one arm a lot, yet he still maintained a structure where I couldn't take advantage of it the way I usually do.

It took me a few minutes to adapt, to stop going with my standard first reaction to something and just feel what was going on and try new things. After a few minutes I figured out some things to do and my play got much stronger. For example: he moved in such a way I couldn't directly take advantage of that hip being back. But I found when he pushed me with the arm on the other side, I could do a redirection that really worked against him. And I think part of the success was due not only to his arm being up some, but the body position from his hip being back.

Like last time, I clearly had the advantage, but not as much. This young man presented some challenges to me and made me think/ feel things in a different way. (Got a couple of really good points on me too.) Which I suppose, is the point of playing people with different teachings and backgrounds.

It was a positive experience.

I left at 8:00. I could have stayed longer, but this is after all supposed to be a rest day. I am going into train tomorrow- which is usually also a rest day. Then my usual training. It's going to be a long week - well longer- of training. So I wanted to conserve my energy. I normally train 5 days and have two off. If I make it, I will be training 12 days in a row. Plus I had an errand to run that I really needed to do and have been procrastinating on. (I hate shopping at Home depot!)

No Slow Motion Kicks today

6. aaradia

Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Again, normally a rest day. But I took the day off of work to be able to attend mega group class. Was a bit worried as my knee was not feeling good all day. Sometimes this is bad, sometimes working out helps the pain and makes it better. Thankfully, the this was a day where working out helped.

6:30 - Private lesson. Again, an extra lesson my instructor is graciously giving me to prepare for tournament. Still working on Small Five Animal form. We almost got to the end of the tournament version with details and this round of corrections.

Also talked briefly about looking at my workout after tournament to start to get things going for my next CLF test. We will be reviewing my workout routine to optimize it. She talked about me needing to build up properly and stay healthy. Listen to my body when it needs a rest. Lol! Right when I am in the middle of pushing through 12 days of workouts! Which of course proves my instructors point!

7:00- Mega Group Class. Good class! I got to go up three times and do all my CLF tournament material. My instructor said she saw me putting a good amount of her corrections into my performance, which was good to know. I was trying to, but I haven't really had much chance to practice her corrections from the last three days of lessons.

I took inspiration in the performances around me. From my fellow student out there performing her TCC after breaking her neck (literally) just a few months ago, to fellow students pushing through performance anxiety and getting out there anyways, to instructor performances. One instructor, who is closer to my age than the average instructor still had incredibly low stances. Lol! That takes away my excuse to have higher stances because of my age. It was a good night!

The instructional part of mega group class went smoother than last week too. Was productive.

8:00 - Took time to talk to those I mentioned above and let them know how they inspire me. Went over corrections from lesson and wrote them down.

Slow Motion Kicks 3 rounds each side. Put foot down once on Right side and not at all on left.

Rest day from Stance Training. I am trying to do them every other day. This seems to be working well.

Went over tournament version of TCC hand form a couple of times. Asked Tai Sifu to look at one move that he had been correcting. I finally seem to be getting the hang of it. It doesn't feel natural yet, but getting there.

Left about 8:30. Decided to take is easier today to pace myself as my instructor talked to me about. So, for once, I left before the school closed at 9:00.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  7. aaradia

Thursday, April 2, 2015

Stance training on breaks at work.

Horse - 1 minute
    Bow - 1 minute
    Cross- 40 seconds
    Slanted Horse - can't remember- 1 minute I think- maybe 45 seconds.

Just real tired and my legs aren't sore, but just fatigued.

6:30 - Last half of TCC Class

7:00 - Tai Sifu Class In it we did slow motion kicks 5 rounds on each side. Put foot down a couple of times on each side. Can't remember exactly how many. Brain is not working- so tired.

and Stance Training
    Horse - 30 seconds
    Bow - 30 seconds
    Cat- 30 seconds (I can't believe I totally forgot about Cat stances! Have to add them to my own stance training. Doh!
    Crane - 30 seconds
    Cross Step- 30 seconds
    Horse - 30 seconds

8:00- Make up lesson with another instructor = Butterfly knives Form

8"30- Just too beat to do anything but stretch (Two person partner cancelled because he tested earlier today. I expected that. And considering how I feel, I am glad.)

8:50- Left 10 minutes before school closed. Finding I am closing my eyes and wanting to sleep on the concrete floor when stretching. Yes, I am that tired. So tired I am glad I live under a mile away. Don't think I am full capacity for driving.

Just beat. I have to listen to my body. I have pushed my limits borderine too far. I may have to take tomorrow off. I will go to bed in a minute and see if I can get a good nights sleep and what that does for me.

Think I am going to take a couple of extra days off of stance training too. I am getting diminishing returns. Part of me feels like I am being lazy, but I know when I don't listen to my body, I get injured. "Martial spirit, not martial stupid" as my first instructor used to tell me. I am teetering on the border of martial stupid. Part of me is going "I have so much I am working on!" The other part was so tired I just wanted to go home during classes, which is just NOT like me!

Going to go to bed early (for me). Good night!

Edit:
    Friday, April 3, 2015 Woke up feeling better, but after only being up a couple of hours, the fatigue started back in at work. Gonna make myself take this day off. Go to bed early again. Hopefully, feel refreshed tomorrow.

Definitely learned 8 days in a row of working out is too much for me. I did something like this before and had a similar result, but not this bad. So, now I know for sure.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
  8. aaradia

Saturday, April 4, 2015

9:30 - Two person staff form practice with Mr. M

10:00 - Stretching (already warmed up from 9:30 practice)

10:40 - Brain lapse - I know I did something, but can't remember what.

11:00 Sparring Class

12:00 - recovering, but still somewhat fatigued. And we did 10 2 minute rounds in sparring class. So I rested and chatted for awhile. Also watched and congratulated a fellow student's sash presentation at the end of his test. Good for him! He was in class right after his test too!

12:45 - TCC Weapons forms practice
    Also CLF Bodhidharma Gim Set

1:45 - CLF tournament forms- Small five animal and Butterfly knives. Working on details from recent lessons. Going over things slower and section by section.

Slow Motion Kicks - 3 rounds each side - did not put foot down on either side. Trying to be better about looking behind me for rear kick. Still working on height.

Stance Training - Swore when I was fatigued I would take the rest of the week off and start fresh next week. I was tempted to break this, but my right knee is really bugging me the last few days, so I stuck to it. So no Stance training.

Note: 1:30 - Two person TCC sabre practice is no more. The other Mr. M that I practiced with did not renew his membership with the school. :( Not too surprising, but a bummer. He was one of those who quits when close to black sash/ fringe level. He had a lot of other interests that seemed to take more of his time than TCC anyways- that is why I am not surprised. Oh well, best wishes to him.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
  9. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

How are those coming along? If I recall, those were giving you fits a while back ago.

10. aaradia

Still giving me fits. Sigh. I am making progress with my stance training, but don't feel like I am making progress with these. :(

I am going to ask my instructor to look at them. But I have very limited time with her before my school's tournament on May 2. So it is going to have to wait until my first lesson after tournament.

11. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Slo motion kicks - gotta be pure torture.

12. aaradia

Sunday, April 5, 2015

Lagging worse than usual getting started on a Sunday

7:18- Warm up and stretching

7:45 - TCC hand forms- Long form, 40, started on the 48 combination, but didn't get more than a third into it.

That's it. Still taking the weekend off from Stance Training.

Also, no slow motion kicks.

Right knee is better than a few days ago, but still bugging me a lot. It affected the quality of my TCC today.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2015
  13. aaradia

Monday, April 6, 2015

6:30 - Stick Fighting Class

7:00 - Mega Group class. (Tournament preparation class). First half of class we focused on the weapon techniques. Second half, I only got to go up two times, but it went well. My instructor said my butterfly knives form is improving.

8:00- Practiced Small Five Animal form

8:30 - Chatted with a couple of fellow students

8:40 - Slow motion kicks 3 rounds each side. Put foot down once on each side. Sigh, I can't tell if I am improving height or not. Gotta do them next Sunday at 24 hour fitness where I can look in the multiple mirrors.

I have days where I don't put my foot down, then days where I do. If my height is improving, I guess this is ok and part of the process.

Stance Training
    Horse - 1 minute and 15 seconds
    Bow - 1 minute and 15 seconds
    Slanted Horse - 1 minute
    Crane - 45 seconds
    Cross Step - 45 seconds
    Cat Stance - 30 seconds
    Horse - 2nd round - 45 seconds
    Bow - second round - 1 minute
    Horse - 3rd round - 40 seconds (could have gone longer, but had to move for a car)

Darn it! Writing this I realize that I forgot Kneeling Horse stances!

I didn't push a few stances as hard as I could have. I think I could have gone longer. My knee is still not great, so I am trying to be smart. Still, satisfied with the slow, but steady progress. The few days rest was a good idea. I need to remember to do this when I am feeling diminishing returns on my stance training.

Left at 9:10 - A little after the school officially closes. Did some stance training out behind the school.

Tuesday, April 7 2015 Night shift- rest day

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  14. aaradia

Truer words were never spoken! :D

15. aaradia

Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Mostly a day off - night shift. Except I did Stance Training on my breaks at work- throughout the day.

Bow- 1 minute and 30 seconds:banana:
    Slanted Horse - 1 minute and 10 seconds
    Cross Step - 45 seconds
    Horse - 1 Minute and 30 seconds:happy:
    Cat Stance - 35 seconds
    Bow Stance - 2nd round - 1 minute and 10 seconds
    Horse Stance - 2nd round - 1 minute and 5 seconds
    Crane - 50 seconds
    Cross Step- 2nd round - 40 seconds

So, I got to 1 and a half minutes on two stances for the first time today! Yay! That is the good news. The bad news is my knee is very sore. Time to see the Dr again as it has been on a bad streak the last couple of weeks. They never really do much for this chronic issue though.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  16. aaradia

Thursday, April 9, 2015

6:30 - Last half of TCC Class

7:00 - Tai Sifu CLF Class - Started going over staff basics tonight. Reviewed the stick form. Formal Exercise (4 forms put together). Tai Sifu talked about putting yourself under pressure and it making you a better MAist. Mostly, he was talking about tournament, good attitudes to take about performing, bad attitudes that can hinder training. etc. but a lot of what he said I applied to thinking about testing too. I found it a very helpful talk.

8:00 - Make up lesson with another instructor. Bummer! Found out that instructor is leaving in a couple of weeks. So, only one more lesson with him. And just bummed he is leaving,:(

Also feel bad for a couple of fellow students I know - including my two person partner for Golden Leopard vs tiger. They will now have to undergo changing instructors. He, in particular, seems to have bad luck with having instructors that leave. He said he seems to change every sash level- not quite, but close.

I have been very lucky to only have to undergo one personal instructor change in CLF. And I have only had one instructor for all my time studying TCC. That is in 11 years of training. He is starting on his fourth in several less years of training.

8:30 Tournament version of 48 Combination.
    Slow Motion Kicks Put foot down twice on right side. Not at all on left side. *sigh*

8:40ish - Golden Leopard vs Tiger form two person practice with Mr. W. Went pretty well considering we had had the last couple of weeks off due to his test.

9:00 - school closes

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  17. aaradia

Friday, April 10, 2015

6:30 - Weapons Class- Still Mui Fa Dahn Do.

7:00- One of my TCC pattern/ Da Lu practice partners had a make up lesson at our usual time of 7:30. So we practiced early. The other partner could not get in this early.

7:30= Slow Motion Kicks
    3 rounds on each side. Did not put foot down on right side, but put it down twice on left side. Exact opposite of yesterday.

More Stance Training. I did some stance training on my breaks at work too. I will list it all here.
    on breaks at work
    Horse - 1 minute and 15 seconds
    Cross Step - (50 seconds - had to raise up a couple of times on Left side)
    Bow Stance - 1 Minute and 30 seconds :star:
    Slanted Horse - 1 minute and 10 seconds
    Horse - 2nd round - 1 minute

At school
    Crane - 45 seconds
    Cat - 35 seconds
    Slanted horse - 2nd round - 50 seconds
    Horse - 3rd round - 50 seconds

7:45ish - Tournament Practice
    Spent some time trying to figure out a/ the tournament version of the TCC fan form I will be doing. I can't tell if I made up a good end to it or am remembering the one I was taught awhile ago.:Alien:

Weapon Techniques and Butterfly knives. Spent some time (20 minutes estimate?) discussing forms and history of them, lineages, etc with an instructor. It was a sidetrack from me talking to him about tournament version of butterfly knives. Ran out of time before doing small five animal.

9:00 - school closes

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  18. aaradia

Saturday, April 11, 2015

9:33- three minutes late for two person practice with Mr. M. Two person Staff form. I had a headache that made it hard to focus. Messed up more than last week on memory of the form.

10:00- took some ibuprofen and went and got breakfast at a place half a block from my school. I had lagged before and didn't eat breakfast earlier.

10:40 - Stretching.

11;00 - Sparring Class

12:00 - 12:15 - rested after sparring class

12:15 - TCC Weapon forms practice
    Boddhidharma Gim practice
    Tournament practice - all forms and techniques I will be doing - Small 5 animal, Bot-Gwa Butterfly Knives form, Weapon Techniques, 48- combination form, Wind Chasing Fan form..

Rest day from Stance Training. Also didn't do slow motion kicks due to soreness in particular area from doing slow motion kicks.

3:00 - School Closes

19. aaradia

Sunday, April 12, 2015

7:16- Stretching and warm up

7:45 - TCC Hand Forms- 40, 108 Long Form, 48 Combination

Stance Training mixed in-between forms practice
    Bow Stance - 1 minute and 20 seconds
    Horse - 1 minute
    Cross Step - 45 seconds
    Cat - 35 Seconds
    Crane - 45 seconds
    Kneeling Horse - 20 seconds
    Slanted Horse - 45 seconds
    Bow - 2nd round - 50 seconds
    Horse - 2nd round - 35 seconds
    Horse - 3rd round - 50 seconds

Sometimes my time length has to do with how quickly I do one after the other. For example: my second round of horse stance was RIGHT after my bow stances. The third round was a few minutes later. More recovery time=longer holding of the stance. I like to mix this up.

I am really trying to take what my instructor said and focus on being straight up and not leaning forward. It makes it harder when you do it right! :p

No Slow motion kicks- I admit it, I felt too discouraged to do them today. :( I won't let this be a trend. They won't beat me overall, but they beat me today.

9:00 - 24 hour fitness closes

20. aaradia

Monday, April 13, 2015

6:30 - Stick Fighting Class

7:00- Private Lessons. Focused on tournament preparation

8:00- Slow Motion Kicks 3 rounds each side. Didn't put foot down on Right Side- put it down twice on left side. Second time because I tried to start too quickly without recovering from first time.

Tournament practice- TCC hand and weapon form, weapon techniques, Small Five animal. Didn't have time for butterfly knives.

9:00 - school closes officially, but is open for instructor training. I stuck around in another room and stretched until 9:23.

Rest day from Stance Training

My log is pretty much going to have a lot of tournament practice in it until the tournament on May 2nd. Then I can do some other stuff- bag workouts and kicking training. Other forms and techniques besides tournament stuff.