Journal of Aaradia's MA Journey

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by aaradia, Feb 14, 2015.

1. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Friday, March 8, 2019 -

6:30 - Stick Fighting Class - Started off with footwork drills. The instructor said it was improving, but I still don't feel like it. I feel like a lead foot. After that several various drills and then drills in a light match style.

7:00 - Ms. B and my CLF instructor wanted to review our two person stuff. He gave me corrections, but the focus is on Ms. B and getting ready for her next test. He was happy with how or two person staff is improving. Yay! He seemed happy with the two person stuff overall too. Both sides of Two person staff and Golden Leopard vs Tiger. Also 9 star.

This delayed our starting techniques practice.

7:30 - Techniques practice with Ms. B and Ms. M. Due to shortened time, we did one instead of two repetitions. More if one of us got stuck. I was happy with how I did, considering I hadn't done them in a couple of weeks. My retention memory-wise was pretty good.

8:00ish - Two person practice with Ms. M. Tournament and full version of Broadsword vs Spear. Still only one side. Ms. M will start learning the other side after tournament. That is the plan anyways. Then the one side of Plum Blossom vs Cross Pattern that we know. Then one side of Golden Leopard vs Tiger. Then a little TCC pattern and walking pattern push hands.

9:00 - School closes

2 hours and 30 minutes

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  2. aaradia

Saturday, March 9, 2019 -

9:35ish - Dang it! Still a bit late for two person practice with Ms. R. Why can't I get there at 9:30? Anyways, Cross Pattern vs Plum Blossom, and both sides of Spear Vs Broadsword. Me doing the Broadsword side is coming along VERY slowly.

10:00 - Advanced push hands/ moving step class. Various drills and matches. I need to get a little bolder trying to attack in moving step against the more advanced students.

11:00 - Sparring class. Started off with heavy bag drills. Then various partner drills. Then rounds holding a shield for your partner and switching off. That was a round of kicks, a round of strikes, then a round of anything goes. Then light power matches. Well it was supposed to be, but my last partner was not cool and went with a full power flying knee at me. He is an old student who left for about 10 years and came back. He never did have good control. Powerful dude, but doesn't understand lighter power. It was a good hit, but really not ok in what the instructions were from the instructor. He knocked the wind out of me. He didn't have a very good attitude afterwards either. I got mad. Anyways, there is more to say on it, but I don't want to at the moment. I left the round saying loudly that I was leaving because I was getting mad.

12:00 - rest. Talked to Ms. R and a couple of others about the situation, mostly Ms. R. She talked me down a bit. Then we did a bit more of Broadsword vs Spear with me on the broadsword side. We were called over to a couple of fellow students who were stuck on Golden Leopard vs Tiger and we were able to help.

1:00 - Stretching class. I did a little better than last time I was at this class. Still grueling though.

1:30 - Solo practice. TCC - Double gim, Buddha Palm, Small Circle Fast form and Wind Chasing fan. I tried to apply the general corrections on bigger steps deeper stances and posturing up that I got at my observation to all forms, not just the ones observed. Talked to another friend about situation earlier.

Still battling knee flare up.

3:08 - School closes

4 hours and 33 minutes

Sunday, March 10, 2019 - Rest day

2018 Total Hours = 684 hours and 06 minutes

2019 Week 10 = 14 hours and 55 minutes
    2019 Total Hours = 122 hours and 34 minutes

3. aaradia

Monday, March 11, 2019 -

6:50 - I don't know how I got such a late start! Just lagging getting set up and all. I got to the school at my usual time - around 6:25ish. But then I looked at the time when I started and I had somehow wasted 20 minutes doing not much of anything. Oh, I did spend a couple of minutes talking to Sifu Lau. Now I remember. The Sifu's do a rotation every once in awhile to give feedback on other schools. It's a quality control thing. But that was only a couple minutes that I talked to him. Sup Ji Kau Da - I think that is what I did.

7:00 - Group class. It was fine. Lot's of beginners in the class, so we did very basic stuff.

7:30 - Solo practice. Can't remember what though.

9:40 (total guestimate - based on the earliest of the average time I leave on Mondays) School closes

2 hours and 50 minutes

Tuesday, March 12, 2019 -

6:30 - Two person practice with Ms. B. Two person staff and Golden Leopard vs Tiger. I can't remember if we did 9 star or not.

7:00 - Forms practice with Ms. M and Ms. T. Ms R is on vacation for a couple of weeks. Stick, Staff, Spear, Broadword and Butterfly knives. Considering we don't do butterfly knives often, because Ms. R knows a different butterfly knives form, I was happy with my memory retention for this one. Formal exercise, Siu Moi Fa, Sup Ji Jit Fu and Small Five Animal. Ended up talking with my CLF instructor about CLF stuff after that, so Ms. M and I did not get to any Senior Black Sash materials.

8:00 - CLF private lesson (s). It was a full hour lesson. The second half hour was a make up for him being out of town the last couple of weeks. So glad he is back! Started with Ms. M joining in to look at broadsword vs spear- tournament version. My instructor had corrections of course, but he is seeing the progress we felt like we are making. So, that is good! :) Then I did my tournament materials and got corrections. My first and third dagger techniques seems pretty solid, the second one had more corrections. Then onto Sup Ji Kau Da. Corrections and learning more.

2 hours and 30 minutes

Wednesday, March 13, 2019 - Evening Shift/ Rest day

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    axelb likes this.
  4. aaradia

Well, I had a bad head cold for awhile, and fell behind. It's going to take me awhile to catch up on this log now. And I have certainly forgotten some details. Oh well, I will do the best I can.

Thursday, March 14, 2019 - Can't remember the details too much. :(

6:30 - last half of TCC class.

7:00 - Tai Sifu/ advanced CLF class. Techniques practice and application drills based on techniques with partner.

8:00 - Private TCC lesson.

8:30 - Solo practice

9:00 School closes

2 hours and 30 minutes

Friday, March 15, 2019 -

4:05ish - Two person practice with Ms. B. We are trying to get practice in the big room, where the test will actually be. To get oriented, have markers for where we start out with the 2 person staff form, and doing the shouts. We usually practice outside where we can't shout. (Neighbors don't like that for some reason!)

We did all the two person stuff for her test- 9 star, golden leopard vs tiger, and 2 person staff. both sides. It was a good and productive session!

Not sure when we ended.

Sometime between 5:00 and 5:30ish? - Solo practice. Way too far back to remember what I did.

6:00 - Weapon forms class. Staff. With partner application drills at the end.

6:30 Stick fighting class.

7:00 - techniques practice with Ms. M and Ms. B.

8:00ish?? - Two person practice with Ms. M.

9:00 - school closes

4 hours and 55 minutes

Saturday, March 16, 2019 - Work all day/ rest day

Sunday, March 17, 2019 - Rest day

2019 Week 11 = 12 hours and 45 minutes
    2019 Total Hours = 135 hours and 19 minutes

Monday, March 18, 2019 -

6:40ish - solo practice. Skipped group class because - well - I just wasn't in the mood for it. I was not in a good mood and cranky. And needed time for me. Just solo practice all night. That was my mood and I needed it. I don't remember what though.

9:40ish - again a guestimate based on the earliest usual time I leave on Mondays. It might have been longer. School closes

3 hours

Tuesday, March 19 , 2019 -

6:30 - last half of TCC class

7:00 - forms practice with Ms. M and Ms. T. Ms. R was out of town. Formal exercise, Siu Moi Fa, Small Five Animal, Sup Ji Jit Fu, Stick, Staff, Butterfly Knives, Spear, and Broadsword.

8:00 - CLF private lesson. Started with review and corrections of two person tournament form with Ms. M. Broadsword vs Spear. Then review and corrections of all CLF tournament materials. I can't remember if we had time for any Sup Ji Kau Da.

8:30 - solo practice

2 hours and 30 minutes

Wednesday, March 20, 2019 - Evening shift. Rest day

Thursday, March 21, 2019 - Started feeling a sore throat mid day.

6:30 - last half of TCC class. But I left at 6:50 because they moved into some push hands. I was feeling for sure like I was coming down with a cold. So I didn't want to get any of my fellow students sick.

6:50 - rested? Can't remember

7:00 - Tai Sifu/ Advanced CLF class. (Again- filling this in later, so I can't remember details.

8:00 - TCC private lesson. I know we worked on details to prepare for my test. I am fairly sure we did the double gim. Not remembering what we did after that though.

8:30 - solo practice

2 hours and 20 minutes

Friday, March 22, 2019 - Sick.. Rest/ recuperation day. I should mention my GM was in town for advanced testing. Two of my fellow students tested in TCC and quite a few instructors did testing for both CLF and TCC. Congrats to all of them! There was some thought I might test too in TCC. I am close, but it was decided not quite. Just as well considering how sick I got!

Saturday, March 23, 2019 - Sick.. Rest/ recuperation day.

Sunday, March 24, 2019 - Normal rest day. But also rest day due to being sick.

2019 Week 12 = 7 hours and 50 minutes
    2019 Total Hours = 130 hours and 24 minutes

Monday, March 25, 2019 - Sick.. Rest/ recuperation day.

Tuesday, March 26, 2019 - Sick. Had to cancel private CLF lesson. Rest/ recuperation day.

Wednesday, March 27, 2019 - Sick.. Rest/ recuperation day.

Thursday, March 28, 2019 - Sick. Had to cancel private TCC lesson. Rest/ recuperation day.

Friday, March 29, 2019 -

4:00 - Two person practice with Ms. B. We were practicing in the big room, so that she can get used to it and we can both figure out the positions and distance in the big room. Using parts of the room for markers for the starting position for the two person staff form. At one point, our CLF instructor watched and gave feedback.

I don't remember how long we went. After that I did some TCC solo practice. I realized that I really should not have come in this day.

6:00 - Weapon forms class. Staff. Again, we had partner drills at the end, which was great!

6:30 - I wasn't up for stick fighting class.:( Honestly, I wasn't up for anything. So I called out all the techniques for Ms. B and Ms. M. At least I could help out that way.

7:30ish? - two person practice with Ms. M. Well, we did some tournament version of the spear vs broadsword. But it was very slow with a lot of rests. At one point, I was leaning on my spear. Ms. M looked at me and said "are you done?" And I was. She told me to go home, rest, and get better. So I went home. Not sure how long we went. So the time I left is a guestimate.

8:00ish (?) - left.

3 hours

Saturday, March 30, 2019 - Work all day/ Rest day. Also, still recuperating.

Sunday, March 31, 2019 - Rest Day. Still recuperating.

2019 Week 13 = 3 hours and minutes
    2019 Total Hours = 133 hours and 24 minutes

axelb likes this.
  5. aaradia

Monday, April 1, 2019 - My 15 year anniversary of joining my school and starting my martial arts journey! Yeah, I started on April Fool's day- no joke!:D Also, had the day off work due to the Cesar Chavez state holiday.

Still recovering from being sick. Yeah, it was a pretty bad head cold. So, normally I would have gone in earlier with it being a holiday. But I didn't.

6:40ish - Solo practice. Stuck to TCC today. Not up to moving fast yet. Worked on all my test materials and my tournament versions. 9 dragon spear, Small Circle Fast Form, Buddha Palm, Wind Chasing Fan and double gim. Lots of rest in between. I think I did do some CLF Shaolin Five Animal, because that is an Internal set and therefore it is done slowly. I might have done some CLF Sup Ji Kau Da slowly too. That form is not normally done slowly, but today it was!:p

Did some stretching at the end.

Definitely feeling better than I did when I tried to work out last Friday, but still far from 100%.

9:40ish???? - left school

3 hours

Tuesday, April 2, 2019 - Today is the first day in a couple of weeks where I did some regular speed CLF. Again, still not 100%, but markedly better.

6:30- 2 person practice with Ms. B. Ran through stuff for her next test. 9 star, Golden Leopard vs Tiger and 2 person staff. Both sides.

7:00 - Forms practice with Ms. M and Ms. T. Ms. R had a private lesson, so she joined us later in this practice session. Formal Exercise, Small Five Animal, Sup Ji Jit Fu, Siu Moi Fa, Butterfly Knives, Stick, Staff. Ms. R joined in for Spear and Broadsword. Having done all solo forms we could at Ms. T's level, Ms. M, Ms. R and I then did Ping Kuen and the Hand Breaking Fan form.

8:00 - CLF private lesson. Ms. M stayed for the first part for a review of our tournament Broadsword vs Spear. We were dialed in this day. Went very well! Only a few corrections from my instructor! I never thought we would have gotten this far along in time for tournament! Thanks to my partner for pushing for us to to this more difficult form over the hand form for tournament. It has helped us grow in this much faster. :) Then we reviewed all tournament materials. 3 section staff is the roughest one for sure.

8:30 - solo practice. I think I did some Sup Ji Kau Da and some Shaolin Five Animal.

2 hours and 30 minutes

Wednesday, April 3, 2019 - Evening Shift/ rest day

axelb likes this.
  6. aaradia

Thursday, April 4, 2019 -

6:30 - last half of TCC class. There were a couple of brand new students in class, so the class was focused on some real basic beginning stuff. Always good for review to do this - no matter how advanced one is.

7:00 - Tai Sifu Class. Forms - Formal Exercise and stick. Followed by some application drills with a partner.

8:00 - TCC private lesson. Review and corrections of my tournament materials and double gim.

8:30 - Solo practice. Shaolin 5 Animal. Sup Ji Kau Da.

9:08 - school closes

2 hours and 38 minutes

Friday, April 5, 2019 -

6:30 - Stick Fighting class. Tournament is coming up, so lots of matches.

7:00 - Techniques practice with Ms. B and Ms. M. Once for each one. More on a few where one of us needed it!

7:35ish? Estimate...... - Two person practice with Ms. M. Tournament and full version of Broadsword vs spear. One side of Golden Leopard vs Tiger. Plum Blossom vs Cross Pattern. Then some TCC two person. Worked on all pattern push hands. stationary, walking, square and circle patterns.

2 hours and 30 minutes

Saturday, April 6, 2019 - School closed due to Instructor tournament. My location's instructors did VERY well this year! Congrats to them all! Rest day.

Sunday, April 7, 2019 - Rest day

2019 Week 14 = 10 hours and 38 minutes
    2019 Total Hours = 133 hours and 12 minutes

axelb likes this.
  7. aaradia

Monday, April 8, 2019 -

6:47- Got there around 6:30. I have no idea why I lagged so badly getting started. This has been a thing the last few Mondays. I need to put a stop to it. Anyways, Ng Lun Ma and Ng Lun Choi.

7:00 - CLF group class

7:30 - solo practice. TCC - 9 dragon spear=both full and tournament versions. Small Circle Fast form = also both full and tournament versions. Wind Chasing Fan, Double Gim and Buddha Palm. CLF - Tournament stuff = techniques, Ping Kuen and 3 section staff. Sup Ji Kau Da.

9:30ish (guestimate) - school closes.

2 hours and 53 minutes

Tuesday, April 9, 2019 -

6:30 - My usual two person partner was not able to practice today. Resting a minor injury. I spent time talking to her about various stuff though. Martial arts stuff.

7:00 - Forms practice with Ms. R and Ms. T. Ms. M is also nursing a minor injury and couldn't make it. :( Too many of my friends and partners injured right now. Formal exercise, Siu Moi Fa, Sup Ji Jit Fu, Small Five Animal, Stick, Spear, Staff, and Broadsword. After that Ms. R and I did some Sup Ji Kau Da.

8:00 - CLF private lesson. It was two lessons really. One to make up for when I was sick. Ms. R stayed and we had our Plum Blossom vs Cross Pattern reviewed and corrected. She was out of town for a few weeks, then I was sick, so we haven't practiced our two person stuff together in about 5 weeks. Considering that, we did way better than I expected. Afterwards, review and corrections of my tournament materials. My instructor didn't have much in the way of corrections for my techniques. So, I am doing well with those. My weakest is DEFINITELY the 3 section staff. It is what it is. I will practice, but I really need months before I feel confident and have decent skill with it. I will do my best though.:cool: Next, review, corrections and learned another chunk of Sup Ji Kau Da. Main correction, more body use in certain moves. I was doing too much arm moves without enough body behind it.

This is going to sound silly, but when reminding me to use more body, my instructor was saying it playfully like "mo body." And I would catch myself not doing it and say the same. It actually is a sign of a building relationship with my relatively new instructor. He has been my instructor a bit over a year now. And keep in mind my school is pretty formal. So, I don't know, but if sounded like he felt more comfortable saying things in a playful manner and I responded as such. It is a sign to me of bonding and building the sort of relationship with an instructor that happens with time and getting to know each other. It is nice. I REALLY REALLY like my new instructor, but I miss that bond that comes with 12 years of being taught by one instructor. So, it is nice to feel that new relationship developing.

We finished the lesson with review and corrections of the Hand Breaking Fan form.

It was a very good and productive lesson.

I panicked a few minutes getting ready to leave. I couldn't find my keys and thought I had locked them in my car. :eek: It turns out they slipped into a fold of my messy and overfilled weapons bag. I used to put them in my sash bag, but have just thrown them in my weapons bag lately. I am going to go back to putting them in the sash bag, where they can't slip or hide or get lost.

9:00 - school closes.

2 hours

Wednesday, April 10, 2019 - Evening shift/ Rest day

axelb likes this.
  8. aaradia

Thursday, April 11, 2019 -

6:30 - Last half of TCC class. Again, newbie in class, so the focus was on real basic beginning fundamentals. Which one can never review enough.

7:00 - Advanced CLF class - Techniques. Oh, what level was that? I think blue to purple sash techniques? Going over them in great detail and doing partner drills with them.

8:00 - TCC private lesson. Wind Chasing fan review and corrections. Then the same with Buddha Palm. My instructor said my pacing was good today. I sometimes go TOO slow. And that my stances were improving. Those stretches I have been doing lately seem to he helping my knees.

8:30 - Solo practice. Don't remember what I did, but I think I went over what I did in my private lesson.

2 hours and 30 minutes

Friday, April 12, 2019 - Lagged getting to the school . Should have had a longer workout.

5:30 - solo practice. Lots of tournament practice. TCC hand and weapon forms, CLF hand & weapon forms and techniques. Extra focus on the 3 section staff flowers. I think I am starting to feel slightly more comfortable with them. It is going to be a slow process to get fully comfortable. TCC full version of Small Circle Fast form. Skipped weapon forms class to focus on tournament stuff. Have to prioritize and tournament is less than a month away!

6:30 - Stick fighting class.Lots of matches. One student kept getting my hand in matches! Watched him get better and better and now he is surpassing me! Furthermore, he is getting my hand, which is usually MY deal! Getting other people's hand! Now it is being used against me. Gonna have to figure out how to defend against that. :) Anyways, best part was when I got to go against the instructor. Always learn a lot from that!

7:00 - Two person practice with Ms. M. Ms. M is injured, so we took things slowly and I did some modifications to accommodate her not getting hurt worse. (Not actually sweeping under her legs, so she didn't jump.) Broadsword vs spear- tournament and full versions. Plum Blossom vs Cross Pattern. I will be glad to finally work on the other sides of these with her after tournament. That is when she will start learning the other sides. She will start with the weapon form. I have learned the other side of that already. But my partner with that so far cannot practice regularly enough for me go get it down, so I will be glad when my regular partner and I can do it weekly! Golden Leopard vs Tiger and 2 person staff. Then TCC Da Lu and pattern. Patterns = stationary, line, and square with switches. No circle because cross steps aggravate my partners injury. It is nice to have a regular partner for the TCC two person stuff again. It has been awhile before her that I had that.

3 hours and 30 minutes. I really gotta get in earlier on my Fridays off work. Being lazy and that has to stop!:p Not going to beat my hours in 2018 unless I step it up!

Saturday, April 13, 2019 - Work all day/ Rest day

Sunday, April 14, 2019 - Rest day

2019 Week 15 = 10 hours and 53 minutes
    2019 Total Hours = 144 hours and 05 minutes

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    axelb likes this.
  9. aaradia

Monday, April 15, 2019 -

6:40ish - got a late start, but not as late as I originally thought. Figured out later in the week that my stopwatch was 10 minutes ahead. I need to invest in a better quality stopwatch. I had just reset it and it was already way off.

Solo practice - forget what.

7:00 - group CLF class

7:30 - More solo practice. CLF and TCC = tournament materials. Lots of time on this. CLF - Shaolin 5 Animal. Sup Ji Kau Da. TCC - started to run though my test format, but got distracted on details and didn't do everything. TCC Spear, Buddha palm and Small Circle Fast form. (Fast form being where I got distracted and spent a lot of time on it.)

10:00ish - school closes

3 hours and 20 minutes

Tuesday, April 16, 2019 -

6:30 - My two person partner is injured. So I joined the last half of TCC class. Detailing out moves of the Gim and going over the first part of the 32 gim form.

7:00 - CLF Forms practice with Ms. R and Ms. T. Ms. M is still injured. Stick, Staff, Broadsword, Spear. Ms. T and I did butterfly knives before Ms. R joined us. Formal exercise, Siu Moi Fa, Sup Ji Jit Fu, Small Five Animal.

8:00 - CLF private lesson. Ms. R stayed on for a quick review of Cross pattern vs Plum Blossom two person form. Went well considering we haven't practiced this together in awhile. Except apparently my guard hand is all over the place. As in, not where it should be. Will review and fix after tournament.

Then onto reviewing and correcting all CLF tournament materials. My techniques are doing very well. Not much in the way of corrections. Ping Kuen is coming along nicely too. My stances are improving/ lower. 3 section staff- still coming along, but it is the weakest of the three. Transitions are rough. The hand off transitions that is.

We also talked about a MA dilemma I am having. Not something to get into details of online. But my instructor is a good mentor and helpful.

8:30 - Solo practice. Can't remember what though.

2 hours and 30 minutes

10. aaradia

Wednesday, April 17, 2019 - Normally a day off as I work an evening shift. But I took some vacation time to leave early. So that I could participate in our mega group class.

6:30ish - Solo practice. Forget what exactly. I am pretty sure I did some Shaolin Five Animal and some tournament materials.

7:00 - Mega Group/ Tournament Preparation class! First half of class was broken up by sash level. And then some instruction, review and detailing out of our tournament materials. Second half is performances in a tournament style. Class was crowded, which is good. But too crowded for my personal tastes, as it meant I did not get in enough performances. I did my TCC materials and got good feedback. But I really wanted and needed to do my 3 section staff and was not able to. :(

At one point, I went over to two advanced students to politely point out that they were talking loudly when their fellow newer students were performing. I like both the students, but it was rather rude and a bad example. As advanced students, they should have known better than to talk instead of watching and supporting their newer, nervous fellow students.

I lagged afterwards. Meant to work out more, but ended up chatting.

1 hour and 30 minutes

Thursday, April 18, 2019 -

6:30 - Last half of TCC group class.

7:00 - Advanced CLF class. Formal exercise review, detailing out and drills with partner. We only got through part of formal exercise. The instructor was very chatty! But it was good as he was full of details! That is what this class is supposed to be about anyways. Advanced details.

8:00 - My instructor for TCC had to reschedule my Private lesson. So, I should have done solo practice. But I am lagging this week. Talked to a fellow student. But really it was about the private MA related issue I mentioned on Tuesday.

1 hour and 30 minutes

axelb likes this.
  11. aaradia

Friday, April 19, 2019 -

6:30 - Stick Fighting class. All matches today.

7:00 - Techniques practice with Ms. B and Ms. M.

8:00ish - Two person practice with Ms. M. Tournament and full versions of Broadsword vs Spear. Plum blossom vs Cross Pattern. TCC pattern. Stationary, walking, square and circle pattern. All with changing directions.

2 hours and 30 minutes

Saturday, April 20, 2019 - Well, this is super annoying and troubling. I woke up with pain in the back of my right hand. I have NO idea why? Did I twist it in my sleep? It was perfectly fine yesterday and last night. NOT good. Tournament is two weeks away! :mad:

9:30 - Two person practice with Ms. R. Broadsword vs spear. With me on the spear side, I had to be very careful and slower. Twisting moves in particular hurt. We did a bit with me on broadsword side, but had to stop because I just couldn't do too many of the moves holding it in my hurt hand. Then, we tried Cross Pattern vs Plum Blossom, but blocking mid way down my forearm hurt my wrist/ hand! Ms. R just told me we were done. She is looking out for me. :) Preventing me from being martial stupid and pushing through when I shouldn't. Still, very disappointing to not be able to practice with her. :(

10:00 - Advanced Push Hands/ moving step class. Drills and matches. I could adapt around my injury to participate. Injury aside, I was not having a very good day playing. Not at my best by a long shot. Eh, some days are like that.

11:00 - Sparring class. Again, made adaptions. No power in right hand moves. New instructor is taking over this class. And, no offense to him, I am bummed as the instructor leaving is one of the more experienced instructors AND one of my favorites for combatives classes. Various drills and then light power matches.

12:00 - Ms. R asked an instructor to go over some sparring stuff and I joined in. It was great! We did some practice with various feints and then coming in for a strike. How to set up a strike with faking out the opponent.

Today was my first day to wear and test my new chest protector! I am happy with it! It is lightweight,but with good protection. I still feel the harder hits, but I don't want to not feel them at all. Too easy to get lax trying to defend if you don't feel them. It is a heavier protection than my light chest protector. Just about right. Good mobility for my arms- no chicken wings. There is a little more gap under my arms than my other chest protectors,but I think that is the trade off for more mobility to have my arms in proper guards with no chicken wings. I will need more time in it to be sure, but so far, I am happy with it!:)

12:30-ish. Rested.

1:00 - Stretching class. Grueling as usual.

1:30 - Makeup TCC private lesson. Review and corrections for 9 dragon spear and Small Circle Fast form. Both tournament and full versions.

2:00 - Solo practice. But my hand/ wrist was hurting worse, so not much useful was accomplished.

2:30 - I gave up and left. Light slow flicks of my right hand hurt. I need to be smart so it heals before tournament!

4 hours and 30 minutes

Sunday, April 21, 2019 - Rest day. Hand still hurting!

2019 Week 16 = 15 hours and 50 minutes
    2019 Total Hours = 159 hours and 55 minutes

axelb likes this.
  12. aaradia

Monday, April 22, 2019 -

6:40 - Solo practice. Woke up and my hand is much better! Whew! Still, a careful lighter workout today just to be sure. I have tournament in less than two weeks and I need my hand to be healthy for it.
    CLF - Sup Ji Kau Da, Full version of Ping Kuen. This one needs serious work. I have forgotten parts of it due to mostly practicing the shorter tournament version. TCC - Tournament and full versions of spear and Small Circle Fast form. Buddha Palm and double gim. Some Stretching.

Today was a lot of time on a few forms. A lot of focus on memorization for the CLF. Gods, Sup Ji Kau Da is LONG! 250 moves............

10:00 - School closes

3 hours and 20 minutes

Tuesday, April 23, 2019 -

6:30 - Two person practice with Ms. B. Carefully, as we are both recovering from injuries. Both sides of two person staff and Golden Leopard vs Tiger. 9 star.

7:00 - Forms practice with Ms. R. Ms. M is still injured and Ms. T was a no show. Spear, Staff, Stick, fan, Sup Ji Jit Fu, Sup Ji Kau Da (up to what I know of it), Small Five Animal, Ng Lun Ma and Ng Lun Choi.

8:00 - CLF lesson. Review and corrections of two person stuff with Ms. R. Cross Pattern vs Plum Blossom and Spear vs Broadsword= me on the spear side of that one. Then review and corrections of tournament materials. I was relieved that I could do 3 section staff with my recovering hand issue. Then, review, corrections and learning some more moves of Sup Ji Kau Da.

It was so funny!:D At the end, my instructor was like " you are close to the end. Just..." then he started to do the end part I don't know yet. And it kept going.............on and on and on! I started laughing and he did too as he kept going. The thing is, relative to THAT form, I am close to the end, it is just that it is so long.

Lesson ended a little late. I think because we got a late start?

8:40 - Going over new part learned in my lesson of Sup Ji Kau Da.

2 hours and 30 minutes

Wednesday, April 24, 2019 - Evening Shift/ Rest day

axelb likes this.
  13. aaradia

Thursday, April 25, 2019 -

6:30 - last half of TCC class. Review and corrections of weapons forms. 32 Gim, Plum Blossom Fan and Sabre. I didn't do too bad on the fan and sabre, better than expected. A little rust to knock off as I haven't done these forms in awhile.

7:00 - Advanced CLF class. Continuation of last weeks forms review in SUPER EXTRA detail! Did what was supposed to be a quick review of last week- forms 1 and 2. LOL! But it turns out it wasn't so quick as the instructor had a lot more to add! Then Gung Ji. Again, super detailed. The instructor apologized for taking so long as he meant to get through the final form of formal exercise too. We also would frequently stop and do application partner drills of parts of the forms. Ms. M and I both told him to NOT apologize! I told him again later. I said that anyone can just go through the forms, but that super detailing was supposed to be what that class is all about! And those are my favorite classes.

8:00 - TCC Private lesson. In keeping with the theme of super extra details, this is what happened this lesson with my 9 dragon spear form. Also, found out for sure that GM Wong is NOT coming down next week. So, the goal is to test next time he comes down in October for seminars. I am so close now, there is no reason I should not be able to do it. Unless I really dropped the ball, which I won't. Honestly, I am relieved. I would rather have the more time to get it down more and have a great test. More reviews by Tai Sifu, more time to integrate recent corrections and details.

8:30 - Solo practice of what was reviewed in my TCC private lesson.

2 hours and 30 minutes

Friday, April 26, 2019 -

4:12 - I got there at 4:00 for two person practice with Ms. B, but she wasn't there. So I took my time getting started and then did some solo practice. Sup Ji Kau Da. (fill in later!)

6:30 - Stick Fighting class. All matches to prepare for tournament.

7:00 - Techniques practice with Ms. B and Ms. M. Ms. B apologized profusely for not being there for two person practice. It's all good. I have plenty of other things to work on. :) Ran through all techniques 2 times. Then, two person forms practice with Ms. M. All spear vs broadsword. Full version, but mostly tournament version as tournament is 8 days away! Her injury is getting better, so it looks like we will be able to do it at tournament. Yay!:D But we took some parts easy so she does not get re-injured worse as she is healing.

At the end, we got a quick review by my CLF instructor. Parts are better, but my jumping isn't. Dang it! I thought that was improving. Back to the drawing board.

Whatever happens in tournament, it is a win in my mind. Tournament is all about focusing your training to push to get better, not about the actual tournament so much. And we did that with this form. We still have lots of room for improvement, but the progress we made in such a short time is something both her and I are very happy with! Whether we do well or not on tournament day, the preparation has been a major success! And I am very happy about it. Props to my partner, Ms. M for pushing to do this form - the harder form - when I was doubtful we could be tournament ready in time with this new difficult form. She is the best!

4 hours and 48 minutes

Saturday, April 27, 2019 - work all day/ rest day

Sunday, April 28, 2019 - Rest day

2019 Week 17 = 13 hours and 08 minutes
    2019 Total Hours = 173 hours and 03 minutes

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
    axelb likes this.
  14. aaradia

Well, I was too caught up in tournament week to fill this out until now......

Monday, April 29, 2019 -

6:30 - Solo practice. I think I warmed up with slow working through of Sup Ji Kau Da.

7:00 - Group CLF class

7:30 - Solo practice. Lots of running through all my tournament material. Going through my TCC material for my next test. Wind Chasing Fan, double gim, full version of spear and Small Circle Fast Form, Buddha palm. Some stretching. I think I did other stuff too, but can't remember.

Estimate of when school completely closed as I can't remember exactly.........I will pick the average between the short and longest times.

9:45 - school closes

3 hours and 15 minutes

Tuesday, April 30, 2019 -

6:30 - Two person practice with Ms. B. Running through her test materials of all two person stuff for her level. Still carefully due to her injury.

7:00 - Forms practice. Ms. M rejoined us as she is recovering from her injury- not fully, but improving. Ms. T. Ms. R joined us about halfway through as she had a private lesson at 7:00. Formal Exercise, Siu Moi Fa, Sup Ji Jit Fu, stick, staff, spear, broadsword, and butterfly knives. We were starting Small 5 animal when my CLF instructor came up for my private lesson, so we didn't finish that. I think the Ms. T and Ms. R may have finished it though.

8:00 - Private CLF lesson. Ms. M joined in for one last look at our tournament two person form. It was not our best run through. Then, onto review of my tournament stuff one last time this year. Then, we went straight to learning a few new moves of Sup Ji Kau Da. There wasn't enough time for review and corrections, so he just taught me a new chunk of it.

8:30 - Reviewing new part of Sup Ji Kau Da

9:00 School closes.

2 hours and 30 minutes

axelb likes this.
  15. aaradia

Wednesday, May 1, 2019 - Happy Beltane! I had the day off work.

6:00 - Solo practice. I was very sluggish. Just not in the best headspace for some reason. Body feeling sluggish. Supposed to be a longer day for a good workout, but it didn't work out that way for some reason. I should have done all tournament stuff, but I rebelled a bit and did some Sup Ji Kau Da. Then some tournament stuff. My partner joined me and we did some two person tournament prep.

7:00 - Last Mega Group tournament preparation class! First part of class was the usual break down by sash level to review and get corrections. As it was just Ms. M and I today, we mostly went over two person stuff. The instructor was her CLF and my TCC instructor. He felt he had reviewed our other stuff plenty in past mega group classes. We worked on lots of stuff, got some new ideas for when to have pauses that I really liked. We have struggled with good pause points in this form. A lot of people don't have pauses, but I feel they are good for performances.

Then, performances. I did all my CLF stuff, but couldn't do TCC because it was always right after my CLF stuff and I was getting feedback from instructors. I got to do 3 section staff for the first time. And it went well UNTIL I dropped it doing the behind the back over and under flowers. I usually hit myself in the head when I mess this up. I picked it up and finished it. I told my CLF instructor I got the drop out of the way so that I didn't do it at tournament, but it got in my head a bit.

After class, I practiced the flowers, messed up again. Did it a couple of times until I got it right. Wanted to leave for the night with a positive note on it. Then, Ms. M and I practiced our two person stuff one last time before tournament. Until I saw her wince after a jump. Then I suggested we call it a night. I didn't want her overdoing it and not able to do tournament. And because I just don't want her re-injured overall.

I think I putzed around after that, did a little stuff, but not much.

9:00 - school closes. Taking time off for when I didn't do much.....

2 hours and 00 minutes.

Thursday, May 2, 2019 - LAST PRACTICE DAY BEFORE TOURNAMENT!

6:30 - TCC class. I came in at the end of the Sabre form. did like the last 4 moves! LOL! Then onto Plum Blossom Fan and 32 Gim. Then the 40. Tai Sifu said my extension and stances were looking much improved. YAY! My hard work and focus on this is paying off!

7:00 - Advanced CLF class. Continuation of detailing out formal exercise. With two person drills of applications. Were into the last form, but still didn't finish. I love it! The super detailing out of it. :)

8:00 - lesson moved to 8:30. My instructor gave me this time to do one last two person review with my partner. We went through it a few times. Then one last run through on my own of my other tournament materials. I still had the dropsies and wasn't doing great with the three section staff. :oops::(

8:30 - TCC private lesson. Last review and corrections of my tournament TCC material. Then review and corrections of Buddha palm and I think double gim? My instructor didn't have a lot of corrections for me today. A few though..... I guess things are coming along.

9:00 - School closes.

2 hours and 30 minutes

Friday, May 3, 2019 - Day off/ rest day. I took the day off because my niece was in a school play! It was at the same performance theater that my school's exhibitions are in. not at the school. It was Beauty and the Beast. My niece was one of the silly girls that fawns over Gaston and she was also an enchanted napkin. She had a bigger part than past plays and she even sang a solo line 2 times. I didn't know she could sing! It was fun!

Tomorrow is tournament!

Last edited: May 6, 2019
    axelb likes this.
  16. aaradia

Saturday, May 4, 2019 -

White Dragon Schools Dragon Cup Tournament 2019!

Got there around 10:30ish- Did a little warm up and went outside to do a last run through of Broadsword vs Spear two person form with Ms. M.

First up was...............

Part 1:

Tai Chi Chuan.

Senior Black Fringe. ages 18+. About a half dozen competitors.

At this level, you get to choose what forms you do for tournament. Other people didn't necessarily do the same forms I did. I don't know for sure, because I can't watch others perform. It throws me off.

Hand form (Small Circle Fast Form) -
    I felt good about my performance. I scored an 18, which is above average and considered a good score. I did good, it is just a tough division with a lot of very experienced people and others were better. (No Medal)

Weapon form (9 Dragon Spear) - I felt good about this one too. I did a minor space out right at the end, but I faked my way through it. I know I succeeded because judges and other students talked to me afterwards and didn't catch it. My score was a 20, which is a rather high score. (3rd Place=Bronze Medal)

Tai-Sifu Stanley of the Clairemont location was the head judge. And, as I told him afterwards, I was very happy because I have been watching his performance of the spear in a past exhibition over and over again for guidance. Tai Sifu Stanley said to us all at the medal presentation that we all did very well. (They don't always say this.) And he commented that the years of experience in this ring was quite a lot. And that was true.

Feedback from him afterwards was that I did indeed do well in both events. It is just that the separation between scores is so little. The main thing to work on is a little more relaxation at the beginning of Fa Jing moves. This was true for both the weapon and hand form.

I was happy that my CLF ring was not called at the same time. I got to relax and focus on my TCC without running from ring to ring. I got to stay for the medal presentations, get judges feedback and congratulate my fellow contestants.

And I had time after to relax, go use the restroom. Change into my CLF top and sash. And practice some CLF. :)

17. aaradia

Part 2:
    CLF forms and Techniques.

Black Sash and above. I don't remember the age groups, but it was roughly 39+ years? About 4 or 5 competitors, depending on which event.

No choices in these divisions. The events are pre-set based on curriculum.

Here is where I started multiple rings. My Push hands was called right around the same time. I went in push hands first. This will be listed in part 3 of my write up. They had to wait for me. Some people went while myself and others were in other rings.

My stick fighting was called right as I got to this ring. I checked in and they had to wait for me, just like this ring waited. Unfortunately, they had to wait a long time. Not just because of me, but because other contestants were in other rings too. It was actually unusual to have several combatives (see below) called so early. They are usually called later on in the day.

While talking to a judge (who is from my school) for the CLF divisions about when I could be there, I told him I would hurry asap. He told me to take my time and set myself, because he had seen people rushing and not doing as well. So I made a point to do this.

This was my first year competing as a black sash. And I know some in my division were at black level for FAR longer than me.

Techniques (dagger) - I was happy with my performance. (2nd Place=Silver Medal)

Hand form (Ping Kuen) -
    Again, happy with my performance. Not too happy with the kick at the end. It needs work, but it was better than a few months ago. The rest of it I felt like I did well. (No Medal)

Weapon Form (3 section staff) - So, I had a not great week with this leading up to it. I, and my instructor, thought it was the form needing the most work overall leading up to tournament. I didn't think I stood any chance at all of a medal. But that is ok. Good experience doing it. Add to that that my flowers were not good the week leading up to this. And my hand offs have been rough the last couple of weeks. My main goal was to not drop the weapon or hit myself in the head with the over and under flowers. I was very happy with my performance! I did the best of my capabilities with this weapon at this point and time. I did not drop it or hit myself in the head. I did not fumble with the hand offs. Shockingly/ unbelievably.............(1st place! = Gold medal!)

Unfortunately, I was not able to be there for the medal presentation or to ask for feedback as I was over in the stick fighting ring. And I wasn't able to find out my scores. This is the thing I hate about being in multiple rings at once. I really want that judge feedback afterwards - to learn how to get better.

But my friend and workout partner, Ms. M was in the same division and she brought me my medals. I have to admit, I choked up when I heard I got gold in 3 section staff. Because the true competition in tournament is against yourself and this form has been a particular challenge for me! This medal was particularly gratifying because it symbolized me overcoming a lot in learning this form. I still have a long way to go with it, but I am on my way.

As we were in the middle of these events, our two person event got called in the ring next to us. We went up in between the three events in this ring. I told the two person Sifu that the stick fighting division had been waiting on me a long time, but he said to just do it as we were next to him. I went over to the stick fighting ring to tell them.

Two Person Form - Black Sash and above. 18 years old and above. About 5 pairs of competitors is what my partner said.

Two Person form (Broadsword vs Spear). Me doing the Spear side -
    We did very well. We had a little fumble, but overall we felt like our hard work paid off. (3rd place = Bronze Medal)

I was able to rush up in the middle of the medal presentation and get feedback from the judges. During the presentation, Sifu Vandergriff said we all did well. So, that is always good to hear and the judges don't just say that all the time. Feedback from a judge afterwards was that, again, it was a good performance, but they caught the little miss- timing of my stab and her block. And that sometimes our distance was right on target, but other times it was off. But he reiterated it was good. I told him I was happy with that, especially considering my partner and I had only learned this form 6 to 8 months ago.

I am so grateful to my awesome two person partner, Ms. M! She pushed to do the more difficult form over the hand two person form. And we grew so much in such a short time because of it. She is the best!

18. aaradia

Part 3:
    Combatives.

Apparently, some women get sensitive about their weight, so they call the women's heavyweight division the "upper weight" division. LOL! Sorry, that cracks me up. I know I am heavier, I deal with it. So, I am in the heavy weight division in all these events.

Not sure of the age group, but there was one contestant in all events that I know is about 25 or so) -

Push Hands (4 people).

First Match - This was not a close match in my favor. My opponent kept collapsing one arm and would turn to one side. After a point or two, I figured out she did the turn every time and waited for it. I stopped trying to get points after I was up 4. That was halfway through. There were a couple of times I did go for a point because she was in a position where would look bad if I didn't take advantage of it. I won somewhere around 6 points to 0. It could have been more, but I don't want to discourage people from future participation and there is no need to run up the score. I wish I had stopped trying for points earlier actually. Afterwards, I asked her if she wanted input and gave her tips on how I got her, and she did. So I let her know. I am always grateful for feedback from others, so I passed this along.

Second match - Ha! My old "nemesis" is back! LOL! "Nemesis" because for many years we would play for the gold/ silver round and she always beats me! Not really a nemesis because she is a fellow student at my school and one of the students I am closest to. I was so happy for her to be back, because I know I will have improved when some year I beat her. She had quit a few years ago, but is back now. And I am happy she is back. She is one of the nicest, most humble and respectful students there.

Started off getting the first point. And then it was close at first. 2 points to 2. But then I lost it, or she figured something out and made adjustments, because she then got three more points and won. So, once again, I lost to her. One year I will get there. And I was on par with her for awhile, so that is progress. I need to figure out how to make adjustments when starting to lose more quickly. That is the thing I need to learn to improve. This was true in a match last years as well. And in other combatives classes. (2nd place - Silver medal)

The head judge complemented the match afterwards. He said it was a very good demonstration of Tai Chi principles. I was happy with that.

Stick Fighting (4 people) -

First match - It was a good close match. I like these, where it is a good challenge, win or lose. It ended 3 points to 1 with me on the losing side. But it was ok, it was close and I was up against the 25 year old that was grand champ last year and who ended up in second place overall this year. No shame in losing to her.

Second match - Again a good close match, but I won this one. More points overall than last match, but I don't remember the exact score.

I was happy that my opponents both had good skill and didn't just swing wildly. This happens in stick fighting during tournaments a lot. We do a point fighting system in stick fighting, because in a real fight, a good hard smack with a stick to the head is going to usually end the confrontation. We try to treat our PVC pipe with foam covering sticks like real sticks. And continuous sparring for sticks doesn't simulate a real fight with sticks.

But people often forget that in tournament and go wild. This didn't happen this year and that made me happy. :)

3rd place=Bronze medal

A Judge's feedback was to keep throwing more combinations.

Sparring (3 people) -

First Match - First off, I did not like my opponent's attitude and vibe. She was reluctant to touch gloves for one thing. I will say more on this in the last section where I talk about overall assessment. It was a fun, close match! Just the kind I like! I was disappointed that the judges didn't call all sorts of illegal blows from her. 2 or three kicks too low, but they were in the buttocks, thigh and didn't hurt. One blow to the chin, not too hard though. It wasn't dangerous, so I was just annoyed, rather than ticked off by the poor judging. those low kicks had to be obvious, based on where I was kicked. They weren't close to legal level. But good exchanges. It was a split decision, with the head judge calling in my favor.

Second Match - Not as close, but I did get some good combinations in. I had no good answers for her flurries close in with some great knees. I lost. But again, this was the same person I lost to in stick fighting. Half my age, Grand Champ and ended up in second place overall this year. This match was not as close as the stick fighting match though.

This was the low point of my day. Because I am embarrassed to say I got called twice for an illegal head shot! So embarrassed by my lack of control. 3 calls and I would have been disqualified. I made myself only go for mid chest targets after that. And I apologized to both my opponent AND the judges afterwards. I have never had 2 head shots called on me before.

I heard my Tai-Sifu calling out to pick it up intensity wise at the end of the match, but I was over cautious because of the head shots. It wasn't because I was tired or anything. (I let Tai-Sifu know this afterwards.) It wouldn't have made a difference. She would have won that match.

2nd place = Silver Medal

19. aaradia

Overall Assessment and Thoughts -

Very similar to last year. I was very happy with how I did. Of course, there is room for improvement, but I felt like I performed to the best of my abilities. I was at my current peak today. Nothing where I walked away thinking I messed up or really under-performed.

The best part was my doing so well in the very difficult 3 section staff. The low point was the 2 head shots to my opponent.

1. I learned something about myself today. When my first opponent had a game face on, I knew what she was doing. The instructors tell us to not be too nice until after the match. To have good sportmanship, but remember they are your opponents. To psyche them out with your demeanor. Not to be a jerk, but just intimidating I guess. But it backfired. It just irritated me and made me fight a bit harder.

This is something multiple instructors and fellow students have told me to do. And I have tried the last few years to do it. I try to do what my instructors tell me to do. But I have also been told that to be truly an advanced student, I need to start thinking things through and figuring out things for myself.

And so I looked at her and decided "I don't want to be like her." It is like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. Being friendly suits me. It makes me feel good about myself as a person and a martial artist. It isn't who I am. I would rather be friendly beforehand. As long as I can turn it on in the ring, that is all that matters. I will let my skill IN the ring be what defines me, for better or ill.

I feel like I know myself better as the type of martial artist I am. The advice wasn't wrong. It was just wrong FOR ME. I am at peace with this and feel good about this self discovery. And as this is the first time I have rejected advice like this, I actually feel like I am coming into my own and making my own decisions. Growing up as it were, becoming truly advanced in my mentality.

2. Again, I did best in the thing I thought I didn't stand a chance in. This isn't the first time. And I have talked to other students and they have experienced this too. Doing well in what you think you aren't good at and doing poorly in what you think you will do well at.

I know part of my lesson over the years is self-confidence and a positive attitude. But there is some interplay between this and the - I think Buddhist- idea of detachment? I mean, it isn't a coincidence. So what is positive about letting go of the idea of a medal or winning? Because that letting go often makes one do better. The interplay of these two concepts, or just understanding this idea of detachment better, as I don't understand it deeply at all. This is something I will discuss with others and ponder. Especially this one instructor at my school who's main job is being a Professor of Philosophy.

Other instructors had tips for me after tournament. I will be asking them for details over the next week at the school. One instructor said he knows a way of doing one move in the three section staff faster- a certain hand off.

3. I do need to stop limiting myself in my mind. Because I keep exceeding my limits. When will I fully really learn this in my heart? I thought this would be a tough year - mostly new forms and a new CLF level of competition against black sashes who have been black sashes for a long time. And yet, I got the best medal count ever since I started competing.

7 medals in 9 events
    1 Gold
    3 silver
    3 bronze

This is what martial arts does for me. It breaks barriers, mental and physical. It makes me better in every possible way!

It was a great and fun tournament. It, as always, taught me a lot and made me a better martial artist. And, like every year, I am a bit sick of it after focusing on it for 4 months. I am glad for it, and glad it is over!;)

Again, I was there for hours, but my actual work out time was minimal. I was there for approximately 5 1/2 hours. Hard to call the actual workout time - warm up, run through of stuff, actual competition time..........rough estimate would be............

1 hour

Last edited: May 7, 2019
    Xue Sheng likes this.
  20. aaradia

Sunday, May 5, 2019 - REST DAY!!!!!

2019 Week 18 = 11 hours and 15 minutes
    2019 Total Hours = 184 hours and 18 minutes

Monday, May 6, 2019 -

6:37 - Solo practice. Sup Ji Kau Da Started back on Wooden Dummy. Just the beginning part. Going to re-memorize it a bit at a time. The first 7 or 8 moves of the Elephant form. This is about me learning to read scripts and Chinese terminology more than learning the form. My instructor suggested pulling up an old script that I haven't done in ages from a seminar and figuring out as much as I can on my own to learn Chinese terminology.

7:00- CLF group class. Instructor focused on a more relaxed class than usual. Chilling after tournament. Lots of stretching. Then, she focused on the two things she saw at tournament that set aside the winners from the non medal winners. Lower stances and relaxed power.

7:30 - Solo practice. CLF. More Sup Ji Kau Da. Then, back to remembering the full versions of my tournament materials. FULL version of Ping Kuen and 3 section staff. A bit of stretching. Took some time to talk to a friend at the school about a self defense situation that came up at work today.

9:20 - School closes

2 hours and 43 minutes