Journal of Aaradia's MA Journey

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by aaradia, Feb 14, 2015.

1. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Monday, June 4, 2018 -

6:30 - Two person staff practice with Ms. B. Changing normal day for reasons described later.

7:00- solo practice. Wooden Dummy. Buddha Palm.

7:30 - TCC private lesson. YAY! Finished learning moves of Small Circle Fast Form. It is actually a pretty short form. Now I just need to get the memorization down so that I can focus more on developing the skills the form is teaching. (smaller moves and fajing) Also, relearned a few more Wind Chasing Fan form moves. This form is NOT coming back to me quickly.

8:00- Tried to do stick fighting class (with limitations) but I put on the helmet and I couldn't. It presses on the cheek where I had my dental work and my body just said "nope!" Super disappointing as I would have been the only student and gotten a free private lesson. Oh well.

So, solo practice. TCC - Went over Small Circle Fast form and wrote down moves learned tonight. Also went over Wind Chasing Fan. Finally started back on kicking practice and boy do I need it! Yellow sash kicks- some on the kicking board. I dunno- about 12-15 minutes? Good long stretching session at the end.

9:50ish - school closes

3 hours and 20 minutes.

Tuesday, June 5, 2018 - Evening Shift/ rest day. My normal night shift is changed this week. My work is a polling place and so we have to cover extra hours while the poll workers are there. So, I will work a evening shift today and have a day shift tomorrow instead.

2. aaradia

Wednesday, June 6, 2018 - Worked a day shift today, instead of my usual night shift. This was because I worked a night shift last night. I traded my evening shift for the week to help out with my work being a polling place.

6:30 - Solo practice. Can't remember everything I did, but here it is to the best I can recall. I tried this thing where I did both my CLF and TCC forms with a weapon when I picked up that weapon. But I won't list it here in that order because I put my TCC in one area and my CLF in another. TCC - Buddha Palm, Flute, Saber. Tried to do solo practice of double saber, but didn't get very far. Think I did what I could of 48 combination but got stuck about 15 moves or so in. Wind Chasing Fan and maybe Small Circle Fast Form. CLF - Stick, Broadsword, Ping Kuen, Wooden Dummy. I think solo practice of Cross Pattern vs Plum Blossom. Spear vs Broadsword. Dang, just a couple of weeks of not practicing some of that, due to the dental work and I had trouble remembering stuff. So, it was getting it back in my memory today. Because I just started learning a lot of this, so it isn't fully ingrained in my mind yet. Stretching.

9:50ish???? - School Closes. Can't remember when I left exactly. But this is my best estimate.

3 hours and 20 minutes-ish

Thursday, June 7, 2018 -

6:30 - Last half of TCC class.

7:00 - Tai Sifu Class!!!!!!!!!! Yay! Tai Sifu is back from his long vacation/ honeymoon! So, this class is back on! A review of various forms today. For him to see where we all are. Again, smaller class, but a few long time students were back with us that haven't been to this class in awhile. Formal exercise, Siu Moi Fa, Stick and staff, 9 star.

8:00 - Make up TCC private lesson. Ok, this is a make up lesson for NEXT week. Now that Sifu is back in town, my instructor, who is also the second in charge of our school, is going on a long vacation. Including a stop to participate in the big ICMAC Florida tournament. So, this lesson is for missing next weeks lesson.

Re-learned more of the Wind Chasing Fan. Asked for some details for a couple of moves in the 48 combination form. I am re-teaching myself that one, but got stuck in an area of it and needed his help.

8:30 - Make up CLF lesson. This was for missing my lesson on Tuesday, because of working my different shift. Learned more of Spear vs Broadsword. If all goes well, I should finish the spear side next weeks lesson. We'll see. Some weird complicated moves this week to get down first. And more of Ping Kuen.

9:00 - School closes

2 hours and 30 minutes

3. aaradia

Friday, June 8, 2018 -

4:20ish - Solo Practice. TCC Buddha Palm. What I remember of 48 combination, added a couple of steps thanks to my TCC instructor helping me last night in my lesson. I think I did some Small Circle Fast form? Part of double gim. Wind Chasing Fan. CLF- Ping Kuen. Ng Lun Ma and Ng Lun Choi. Geez, just a week and a half off and I am forgetting bits of it. Can't take time off when learning new forms. Need the repetitions to have it stuck in my head. Anyways, my CLF instructor helped me a bit. Same issue with practicing Shaolin Five Animal, Got confused in parts I knew before my time off from the dental work.

6:00 - TCC Accelerated Membershp class with Tai Sifu. Went over pattern push hands basics and the 24. Other student was Ms. M, who is advanced in CLF, but only recently started CLF. Glad Tai Sifu showed her pattern so her and I can practice it together now.

6:30 - Techniques practice with Ms. M and Ms. B. I did alright for having had the last two weeks off of this. Not sure when we ended. Estimate would be...........

6:55ish? - solo practice. Actually , some of what I listed in the 4:20 practice was during this time too. I may have done some other stuff too, but am forgetting. Geez, my memory is BAD!

7:50ish - two person practice with Ms. M. All our two person stuff, but focusing on the new stuff (spear vs broadsword and Plum Blossom vs Cross Pattern.) Then we worked on the new form she is learning for TCC- the 40 form. And 8 pieces of brocade. We are still testing each other to get the exact full names down. 7 diseases and 5 injuries and 100 this and that-aurgh!!!!:eek: I should have known this years ago, but sheesh!

9:00 school closes.

4 hours and 40 minutes.

Saturday, June 9, 2018 - work all day/ rest day

Sunday, June 10, 2018 - rest day

Five new moves for Shaolin Five Animal form this week. (week 8).

2018 Week 23 = 13 hours and 50 minutes
    2018 Total Hours = 296 hours and 24 minutes

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    axelb likes this.
  4. aaradia

Monday, June 11, 2018 -

6:30 - Solo practice. TCC - Buddha Palm. Wind Chasing Fan. Broadsword vs Spear. Plum Blossom vs Cross Pattern. CLF - Ng Lun Ma. (note: will finish filling in this later.)

8:00 - Stick fighting class. Only one other student and he is REALLY new to stick fighting. Also limited in what we could do because he didn't have the proper head gear and I still have that limitation on being hit in the head due to my recent dental work. Anyways, we drilled moving from a defensive block and flowing without hesitation right into a strike.

8:30 - Chatted with the other student in stick fighting class. MA related. He as asking about students who were writing notes down. He saw advanced students doing it and wondered if you had to do that at advanced levels. I told him no you didn't HAVE to, and that some students do it before reaching advanced levels. More stuff about note taking.Then, Solo practice. Oh yikes, tried to do kicking practice but my legs were REALLY sore. I guess the stretching and stance pushing have had an effect. I need to get back to regular kicking practice. I have been caught up in learning new forms a lot lately, but I need to balance it out with other stuff more. And kicks I can do with my thumb problem, so I need to do it. TCC - Wind Chasing Fan, working on remembering 48 combination. I am around the half way point. I think I did the Small Circle Fast form? Stretching.

9:45ish - school closes

3 hours and 45 minutes

Tuesday, June 12, 2018 -

6:30 - Solo practrice. TCC Buddha Palm. Wind Chasing Fan. Started just letting my mind relax and the part I haven't relearned to me started coming back to me. I didn't "try" to remember so much as just relaxed and let my body do what it wanted to do. Went home later and looked at the video and I got a lot of it right! This was a theme in my training leading up to my last test. Try to not think so much and trust my training to come through. Anyways, I hope to have it all basically down again before my TCC instructor comes back from vacation. We'll see.

Around 7:00ish - Ms. R came up. Her lesson got moved to later, so we fit in some practice together on a night where we didn't think that would happen. Broadsword. Small Five Animal. Whew - took a couple of weeks off and get rusty on this one. Came back though. Throat Locking Spear. Ms. R learned the whole thing. We did it slowly because it is new to her and my thumbs get aggravated doing this one fast. Stick. Shaolin Five Animal (what I know of it).

7:35 - Solo practice. Oh jeez, there goes my memory again. Can't remember what I did.

8:00 - CLF private lesson. First, I talked to my instructor about how to fit everything in and he gave me advice. How to fit in all the forms, go to the important classes(all the combative classes, Tai Sifu class, stretching, etc), private lessons, kicking practice, shadow boaxing. bag workouts - both TCC and CLF. I am having trouble figuring out how to make room for everything. And this is when I can't do some things because of my injury. Then, I asked him to go over a couple of moves in Plum Blossom vs Cross Pattern. Because I wasn't understanding the interplay between both people there. Ms. M and I had trouble with one area, the second area is similar and she will know it for the next time we practice together. Next was finishing learning all the moves for the spear side of Broadsword vs Spear. Finally, he reviewed Ping Kuen, but there wasn't time to add more.

We talked about what my next few lessons will be like. Review of Broadsword vs spear, learning more Ping Kuen, and starting to learn the three section staff.

8:30- went over spear vs broadsword to get it to stick in my head. Here is the Broadsword vs Spear form. So anyone reading this can see what I am practicing.

2 hours and 30 minutes

Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - Evening shift/ Rest day

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    axelb likes this.
  5. aaradia

Thursday, June 14, 2018 -

6:30 last half of TCC class - Breaking down and super detailing snake creeps low to golden rooster stands on one leg. These are some of my favorite classes. When Tai Sifu spends lots of time on just one or two moves in great detail - really breaking it down in minute detail. Then we went over the 24 form.

7:00 - Tai Sifu class. Today was techniques day. We had 5 people in class. One student new to the class. You have to be an intermediate or higher level student to be in this class. Techniques and kicking detailing today. Brown sash 1st degree and Purple sash. The other instructor took over the last part of the class.

8:00 - Two person practice with Ms. M. She has other commitments during our usual Friday practice, so we practiced on Thursday this week instead. Most of the focus was on our new forms. Plum Blossom vs Cross Pattern and spear vs broadsword. She is still learning the forms. So we are still pretty near the beginning on the spear vs broadsword. Hmmm, over halfway through the Plum Blossom vs Cross Pattern. It's going to take us awhile to make these look decent, but we had fun practicing. We'll get there. Also ran through the two person staff. Still lightly, but in the past there would still be a part or two that hurt my thumbs. Today nothing hurt. Progress I think and hope?

Finished by going over the TCC 40 form - what she knows of it - twice.

9:10ish - School closes.

2 hours and 40 minutes

axelb likes this.
  6. aaradia

Friday, June 15, 2018 -

6:30 - Two person techniques Practice with Ms. B. Ms. M could not make it tonight. Went through all techniques 2 times.

7:25 - Solo Practice. CLF - Wooden dummy. Ng Lun Choi. (having a little trouble with the end of that one.) Broadsword vs spear- spear side. Plum Blossom vs Cross Pattern- Cross Pattern side. What I know of Ping Kuen and Shaolin 5 animal. Having some trouble with the latter. So many parts are so similar, I am getting a bit mixed up. TCC - Small Circle Fast form. Wind Chasing fan- I think I have this whole thing re-memorized now. I get to surprise my instructor that he doesn't have to show me the last 17 or so moves when he gets back from his vacation. :) Working on re-memorizing the 48 combination- up to around 30 moves now.

9:10ish - school closes

2 hours and 40 minutes.

axelb likes this.
  7. aaradia

Saturday, June 16, 2018 -

10:00 - TCC class- Detailed out the 108 form. Then some limited step push hands.

11:00 - Yay! First class since Tai Sifu came back from vacation that I could participate in! Back to sparring after my restrictions after that dental work! (Ok, well confession. I should have waited one more week. The restriction was one month. But my jaw area has healed up nicely, and I trusted my partners to be careful of this area and they were.) Bonus on top of that- we did what Tai Sifu calls "prison break" sparring. I actually have NO idea why he calls it that. But this is how it went. Rounds of the following.
    Part 1- Stick fighting round. (Picture of it.)
    [​IMG]
    Part 2 - knife fighting. (Another picture of it. Although the front is a pose. Tai Sifu couldn't get a clear image. like with the stick fighting. So, a brief stop to pose and back at it.) The matches behind were not poses though.)
    [​IMG]
    Part 3 - regular sparring round, but (if the partner agrees- which all mine did) leg kicks and light power head shots. (Our regular official schoolwide sparring rules do not allow this, but we do it in this class sometimes.)
    Part 4 - Clinch work sparring. Must stay in a clinch, then anything goes- knees elbows, dirty boxing, light head butts.

No rest in between these parts. Each round is all four parts. Each round longer than the last.

We haven't done this in awhile and it was SO MUCH FUN! Smaller class again, it will be that way until the classes build up again with newer students joining. 6 students. My assessment of how I did, Stick fighting I did very well. I go to class most every week, so that paid off. Knife- ok. I play real defensively. Got some hard to pull off shots, but need to learn to close the distance and get in more fully. Then, of course back out again quickly. Sparring went fine. Clinch work- my worst. Two of the students just kept getting me with knees. I got some feedback after the first student, and worked on it with the second one, but it is definitely the part of the rounds I need the most work on.

12:00 - advanced push hands/ moving step class. Mostly rounds of matches in the first half. Moving step we did some drills. I sort of have trouble explaining moving step drills in detail. No matches, but great drills. Very helpful for me!

1:00 - Stretching class. Grueling and great. I am definitely, with my various work lately, noticing that I feel a lot of my issues in my lower back. Tightness there quite often.

1:30 - I actually left before the school closes. Went out with a couple of fellow students to celebrate the birthday of one of them.

3 Hours and 30 minutes.

Sunday, June 17, 2018 - Rest day

2018 Week 24 = 15 hours and 15 minutes
    2018 Total Hours = 306 hours and 39 minutes

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  8. aaradia

Monday, June 18, 2018 -

6:30 - Solo practice. TCC - Warmed up with Buddha Palm. That seems to be my warm up form lately. Started on spear side of spear vs broadsword. Talked to a fellow student and she just had a lesson and learned a big chunk of Golden Leopard vs Tiger. So I asked if she wanted to practice it with me. She did, so we worked on that.

7:00ish - Practiced two person TCC stuff with Mr. L. He is getting ready for his black fringe test and Tai Sifu wanted me to work with him on this. I need the practice, even though not testing. One of the TCC things I am a bit rusty on, so this is helpful. Da Lu and various pattern push hands. Stationary, walking, square and circle. Not sure how long we practiced. Estimate..................

7:25ish? - worked a bit more on Golden Leopard vs Tiger with same student I was working with earlier. More thorough practice of spear side of spear vs broadsword. Cross pattern side of Cross Pattern vs Plum Blossom.

8:00 - Stick fighting class. Just two students again. Me and one other. Footwork drills and then drills combining shuffling with coming in for a hand strike, then shuffling back out again.

8:30 - Chatted with the student from stick fighting class on a MA training related topic. Not sure how long. Estimate...........

8:45ish? - Solo practice - TCC. Wind Chasing Fan. I do believe I have the whole thing re-memorized again.:) Might have a move or two a bit off, but basically it is back in my brain. Plum Blossom Fan. 32 Gim. Small Circle Fast form. Working on getting all of 48 combination form back. Worked on getting back moves 30- 35 or so. I am going to study the DVD when I am done typing this. I am really sore from strecthing class on Saturday and other work I have been doing. A groin/ leg area is acting up, so..............some careful stretching so as not to aggravate this.

9:55ish - school closes

3 hours and 25 minutes

9. aaradia

Tuesday, June 19, 2018 -

6:30 - Two person staff practice with Ms. B.

7;00 - Forms Practice with Ms. M. She was going to join Ms. R and I for our usual practice. However, Ms. R couldn't make it. So we practiced anyways.

Siu Moi Fa. My instructor saw some of this and let me know after that I wasn't doing the "funky poon kiu" in some area's of the form. I was grateful he pointed it out.

"Funky Poon Kiu" being the lineage style of poon kiu I just learned. Poon Kiu is a type of block. A redirection softer block rather than a hard block. We have 3 lineages in our CLF. And each lineage has it's own version of Poon Kiu. The Funky part being the affectionate nick name I and Mrs. M have dubbed the King Mui lineage style of Poon Kiu.

So, whenever we did other forms in this lineage, we slowed it down to really pay attention to where the poon kiu's were and do it with the proper lineage style of it. It was good. Because it made us examine the forms that have become automatic over the years and break it down again.

I really geek out and love the historical lineage stuff. And how the application of the move is in different lineages. It is like the same move, with a different taste. Like the same food with a different spice flavoring it.

But just the little difference threw me off doing it sometimes. The hand position ends differently and so we had to make minor adjustments going into the next move because of this.

Other forms we practiced. What we know of Ping Kuen. (The form where we first learned the "funky poon kiu.") We are both learning it. Stick, broadsword, and staff. Formal Exercise (which only has one of the new poon kiu's in the whole thing.) Sup Ji Jit Fu.

8:00 - CLF private lesson. Went through broadsword vs spear. Then I started to learn the 3 section staff. Now, looking over this level of curriculum forms, this was one I was NOT excited to learn. Not at all. But I did a total turnaround tonight. Once I held that weapon in my hand, I fell in love with it! SO MUCH FUN! Learned about the first 20 moves. Also learned a couple of the flowers that I will do later in the form. Learned them first with a staff. So as to practice the basic moves without whacking myself! :p

I am going to have to proceed carefully with this form. The flowers are normally taught and really focused on first, but a couple of them I can't do with my thumb tendinitis. So, my instructor is adjusting the normal order of how this form is taught to work around my injury. The other ones, I will not get all gung ho and practice a lot of at first. I will proceed slowly and see how my thumbs hold up.

8:30 - just practiced what I just learned. One instructor came in while I was practicing and helped me some. The instructors at my school are so awesome!

This is a clip of a student doing this form at an exhibition at another location of my school. I picked it because it is not cut up, but the complete form. It isn't a high quality clip though - not very clear.

This is one of the two flowers I learned. When I get it down with the staff, I will start doing it with the three section staff.

9:00 - school closes

2 hours and 30 minutes

axelb likes this.
  10. aaradia

Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - evening shift/ rest day

Thursday, June 21, 2018 -

6:30 - last half of TCC class.

7:00 - Tai Sifu class. Went through form detailing tonight. Formal Exercise. Siu Moi Fa. Ms. M and I worked on the new lineage style of Poon Kiu doing this. Stick and staff. 9 star. I teamed up with a student that does not know the form yet. Only a little from this class in the past. So I (in this class it is ok) was teaching it to her. I felt like I was seeing progress in her learning, so I think I did a decent job teaching her and that felt very rewarding to help out with some success.

8:00ish - Solo practice. Not TCC private lesson tonight as my instructor is on vacation. (I will get a make up lesson when he gets back.) Solo practice. Three section staff and Ping Kuen. Can't remember for sure, but I think I did some TCC- Wind Chasing fan and Small Circle Fast form? Dang not sure.......

2 hours and 30 minutes

Friday, June 22, 2018 -

5:06 - TCC - Buddha Palm. CLF - Wooden dummy. Wow, a little time off of it and i got stuck in parts with memory. It came back, but took some time. Ping Kuen. What little I know of three section staff and spinning drills for it. Started Shaolin Five Animal, but didn't get very far because weapons class started.

6:00 - weapon forms class- Throat locking spear.

6:30 - Techniques practice with Ms. M and Ms. B. Went through every technique twice. I did better at this thing I am trying to fix. Where I sometimes turn my guard hand when kicking when I should keep it in the same position. Happy I had progress fixing this today. Then the three of us went over Ms. M's TCC curriculum. Eight Pieces of Brocade. Quizzed each other to work on the full names of each move. I am getting far better at knowing these fully now. Just a couple where I get stuck a bit. Then 24 and 40 forms. Then some pattern push hands.

Then Ms. M and I worked on some two person forms. The new stuff. Plum Blossom vs Cross Pattern and spear vs broadsword. We didn't have time to work on our old stuff. We are somehow, going to have to figure out how to get more time to practice two person stuff.

I also have to figure out how to get more practice in on Ng Lun Ma and Ng Lun Choi.

Oh, here is the other flower I am working on for the three section staff. The end of this video shows the spin with the three section staff. I won't be doing that until I get my speed up and consistent with a regular staff.

9:00ish - school closes

3 hours and 56 minutes.

No progress and not much practice on Shaolin Five Animal this week. I need to remember I said I wasn't in a hurry and this is ok. I am overloaded and figuring how to get my practice schedule more balanced. New forms and old for both TCC and CLF. Various classes - including various sparring classes. Techniques. And I need to start practicing kicks and do some shadow boxing. Bag workouts will have to wait until my thumbs are better. I am having fun, but a bit overwhelmed.

Saturday, June 23, 2018 - Work during day/ rest day

Sunday, June 24, 2018 - Rest day

2018 Week 25 = 12 hours and 21 minutes
    2018 Total Hours = 319 hours and 00 minutes

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    Guitar Nado and axelb like this.
  11. aaradia

Monday, June 25, 2018 -

6:30 - Solo practice. Warmed up with Buddha Palm. Then worked on most of my current new curriculum level materials. Ping Kuen, Shaolin Five Animal- trying to get back to where I was a couple of weeks ago with it. Solo practice of Plum Blossom vs Cross Pattern and Broadsword vs Spear two person sets. Ng Lun Ma and Ng Lun Choi. Got stuck in a couple of areas, so I need to go look at the videos. The few moves I know of the Three section staff and the two flower drills.

The two person partner for TCC stuff was injured and couldn't make it tonight. Didn't know until I got a FB message when I got home.

8:00 - Stick fighting Class. This class is going to be moved to earlier next week. Let's see if more people attend with the new time. That is the hope anyways. So - just me and the one other student again. Footwork drills. Then a slow motion match. I appreciated the footwork drills. As I mentioned, not a fan of the slow fighting. Because, once again, my partner really wouldn't stay moving slow. I am not saying I am perfect at it either, but sheesh- he KEPT coming in fast - even though the instructor was telling him to slow down.

8:30 - Solo TCC practice. 108 long form. I think I remember it better than I think. I keep doubting myself and looking at the sheet with the moves. Most of the time, if I just went with what I thought, I would have been right. Only a couple area's I didn't have right. A few more practice sessions and I should have it back fully. Wind Chasing Fan, Fajing, Slow Circle Fast form & part of 48 combination.

My balances was bad today- not sure why.

10:00 - School closes.

3 hours and 30 minutes

axelb likes this.
  12. aaradia

Tuesday, June 26, 2018 -

6:30 - Two person staff practice with Ms. B.

7:00 - solo practice. All CLF tonight. Ping Kuen, 3 section staff - including flower drills, solo broadsword vs spear, throat locking spear, Sup Ji Jit Fu- again working on incorporating the Kung Mui style Poon Kiu's.

8:00 - CLF private lesson. Reviewed and received corrections on three section staff and learned some new moves for it. Tonight, I got that hitting yourself with the three section staff thing for the first time out of the way. I whacked myself pretty good in the foot. :po_O. Then reviewed what I knew and learned a new section of Ping Kuen. These two forms I worked on tonight will be the two forms I do in the next tournament. That is a ways off, but it is why I am learning these two now. I need lots of time to get them decent looking!

8:30 - practiced what I learned tonight in my lesson.

8:55 - left a bit early. Gotta get up early tomorrow to take my care in for maintenance, so I didn't wait for them to kick me out like usual.

2 hours and 25 minutes

Wednesday, June 27, 2018 - Evening shift/ rest day

axelb likes this.
  13. aaradia

Thursday, June 28, 2018 -

6:30 - last half of TCC class. Worked on detailing out Grasp sparrow's tail. Then some partner drills of that. Then the 24 form.

7:00 - Tai Sifu CLF class. Techniques and kicks today. Yellow sash level. Hey, up to 7 students. This class is growing again!

8:00 - No TCC private lesson as my instructor is still on vacation.

Went over TCC 40 form with Ms. M, because she had some sticking points. Went over CLF Ping Kuen and 3 section staff, because I had sticking points!:p Then, solo practice. TCC - small circle fast form. I am having trouble with the end sequence. I will have to get it worked out with my instructor when he gets back. Wind chasing fan. Still working on remembering the 48 combination. Got a few more steps further. Sigh, this one is taking a long time to get back. And it still feels off. Even some of the moves I remember. I am going to have to ask my instructor for help with it.

9:08 - School closes.

2 hours and 38 minutes

axelb likes this.
  14. aaradia

Friday, June 29, 2018 -

6:40 - Techniques practice with Ms. M and Ms. B.

7:30ish? Two person practice with ms. M. What she knows of Broadsword vs spear and Plum Blossom vs Cross Pattern. Two person staff (still light power because of my thumb issues), Golden Leopard vs Tiger and 9 star. Went pretty well tonight.

8:56 - school closes.

2 hours and 16 minutes

15. aaradia

Saturday, June 30, 2008 -

10:05ish- Five minutes late for TCC class. The usual instructor (my CLF instructor) is on vacation, so Tai Sifu taught the class. Some drills, 8 pieces of brocade, and then 24 and 40 form. No push hands today.

11:00 - sparring class - 3 of us to start the class. We started with the "prison break" sparring. Each part was two minutes long, so each round was 8 minutes. I did both rounds, so I did 16 minutes with barely a break between the two rounds. A student rather new to sparring joined into class late, so we went to regular sparring. No drills today. Just more rounds. When Tai Sifu runs the class, we can ask our partner if we both want leg kicks and head contact. One of my partners went for it, the other one did not, the third new student, well was to new to ask. She was pretty wild and uncontrolled and kicked me in the nose- not too hard. So, that is why it is good to react and not rely on the rules of a match. I got a bit of a block on the kick, but not enough.

12:00 - The instructor for this class, is the same one mentioned for the 10:00 class. Quite a few of our instructors are on vacation today, so the advanced push hands/ moving step class was cancelled. I asked Tai Sifu about the end sequence for the small circle fast form, as I have been stuck on it lately. He went over it, but wasn't actually sure and said he would find the script. I told him a script was in with my manual for my instructor when teaching me. He gave me permission to look at the script on my own. I rested a bit, then studied the script for awhile. I have the end sequence squared away again. :)

12:30 - TCC solo practice. Small Circle Fast form, Wind Chasing Fan, and Buddha Palm.

1:00 - Stretching class. The instructor told me afterwards she can see progress. Good to know, because I am not seeing it in myself yet.

1:30 - bit of rest, then more solo TCC practice. 32 gim, sabre and Plum Blossom Fan. Fajing form and 48 combination. Got help from Tai Sifu on a couple of moves. I am close to getting it all re-memorized. But I will need my instructor to help with it as my timing in a lot of moves feels off. It doesn't feel right- not like I am dong some of the moves cleanly and crisply.

After I get the 48 combination re-memorized, I will work on getting the 54 gim back. I also need the two person sabre, then I will be all caught up again.

2:55 - had to change out of my matt shoes, so stopped a tad early.

3:00 - school closes

4 hours and 40 minutes.

Sunday, July 1, 2018 - My sister is taking me to see the Tutankhamun exhibit! So excited! Day off!

2018 Week 26 = 15 hours and 29 minutes
    2018 Total Hours = 334 hours and 29 minutes

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
    axelb likes this.
  16. aaradia

Monday, July 2, 2018 - Had the day off of work, because it was my birthday.

5:40ish - Solo practice. Buddha palm. First part of today I was focusing on my new current curriculum materials for CLF. Spear side of spear vs broadsword, Ping Kuen, Ng Lun Ma, Wooden Dummy, Shaolin 5 Animal and 3 section staff.

7:00 - stick fighting class. It has been moved to this earlier time starting today. Hopefully more people show up, but not today. Of course, a lot of people are out on vacation near the holiday and it being summer and all. Just me and the one other student new to stick fighting. Some drills and then some slow speed matches. Bleah, still don't like those for the same reason I mentioned before. I am not perfect at them, but the other student is way too new for this and keeps speeding up, making the point of the drill hard to accomplish. I need to be patient.

8:30 - Solo TCC practice. 48 combination, 108 long form, Fajing, Flute and Small Circle Fast form. I think I did Wind Chasing fan too, but not 100% sure. Also some stretching.

10:05ish - school closes

4 hours and 25 minutes

Tuesday, July 3, 2018 -

6:30- Two person staff with Ms. B.

7:00 - Warmed up with Buddha Palm. Solo CLF practice. Small Five animal and Sup Ji Jit Fu. Focusing on integrating the new proper (for this lineage) Poon Kiu. Ping Kuen. Staff and stick. 3 section staff I think.

8:00 - Private CLF lesson. Review, corrections and learned more moves for Ping Kuen and 3 section staff. That is basically going to be what my lessons are like for the next few months. Going to take a long time to fully learn both these forms. They are long, and complicated- the 3 section staff is especially complicated. My lesson ran a bit long.............

8:40 - practiced what I just learned in my private lesson to solidify it in my brain.

2 hours and 30 minutes

Wednesday, July 4, 2018 - holiday. School closed. Rest day. Well, rest day from martial arts. I did a lot of catching up on housework and gardening.

axelb likes this.
  17. aaradia

Thursday, July 5, 2018 -

6:30 - last half of TCC class.

7:00 - Tai Sifu CLF class - Forms review and detailing today. Formal exercise, Siu Moi Fa, Stick and staff.

8:00 - Private TCC lesson! Yay! My TCC instructor is back from his vacation! I got to show him that I re-memorized the last 17 moves of the Wind Chasing Fan on my own while he was gone. There were a few corrections, but I basically did it! Started relearning the double gim. Past the tournament version I was doing a few months ago - the full thing. It is a short form, so it shouldn't take long.

8:30 - practiced what I learned in my TCC private lesson. Also reviewed what I just learned in my CLF private lesson on Tuesday.

2 hours and 30 minutes

Friday, July 6, 2018 - Today's practice was affected by the fact that San Diego is under a massive heat wave today. It was hard to move, much less practice. It was 112 degrees! I usually don't have trouble motivating myself, but today I did.

5:00ish - Solo practice. Spear side of spear vs broadsword. 3 section staff. I did my first flowering with the actual three section staff (instead of a regular staff) today! First time I did the part with the flowers and this cat stance walk, I did it without hitting myself!!!! Second and third times, not so lucky. I hit my foot and leg. Got my first self inflicted head shot today! I feel fully initiated into the 3 section staff club with that.:p And at another part of the form, I managed to swing the middle part into my upper lip. I think I did some other stuff too, but can't remember what.

6:00 - Tai Sifu's accelerated membership TCC class. We went over the 54 gim. Which I really needed! It was one of the few forms I haven't re-memorized after my layoff from TCC. And now, thanks to the class, I think I have it back. :)

6:30 - Techniques practice with Ms. B. Ms. M could not make it. Due to the heat, we only did one repetition of each one. Also, we drilled each other on the purpose and scenario and targets for one level of techniques. Some of my targeting was a bit off, but mostly I did ok.

Did I mention it was insanely hot? This is supposed to be one of the mildest climates in the world! Yikes!

Not sure when we finished.

Solo practice- A little Ping Kuen and 3 section staff, but mostly Tai Chi Chuan. Ping Kuen, I could not remember the new part. Will watch some videos when I get home and see if that helps. Small Circle Fast form, 48 combination, I think I did some double gim. I went over the 54 gim 4 or 5 times to cement my relearning it- hopefully. I think I did some stretching. Wind Chasing Fan. I may have done other things, but I was so fried from the heat! Did I mention it was ungodly hot??????

9:10ish - school closes

4 hours and 10 minutes

Saturday, June 7, 2018 - Work day/ rest day. I am not going to lie. We still are in the middle of a heat wave. Today was not as bad as yesterday, but still bad. I admit I was glad to not put on sparring gear in this heat. I was glad to be in my air conditioned workplace today. It isn't often where I am glad to not be working out, but today was one of those days.

Sunday, June 8, 2018 - Rest Day

2018 Week 27 = 13 hours and 35 minutes
    2018 Total Hours = 348 hours and 04 minutes

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    axelb likes this.
  18. aaradia

Monday, June 9, 2018 -

6:30 - CLF Solo Practice. Three section staff. Whacked myself in the head badly. I heard a loud crack that scared me. I think I will go back to practicing flowers with a staff or the new foam one I just got. My sister had one she hadn't used in years and offered for me to have it. Spear side of spear vs broadsword. Went over a bit of the last few moves of the 24 form with a fellow student who asked for help with it. She is an advanced CLF student, but new to TCC.

7:00 - stick fighting class. Still only two students. The regular newer other student of the last few weeks wasn't there, but another student was. He is more advanced in stick fighting, so we got to practice unarmed vs stick drills tonight! Yay! :)

7:30 - talked to a fellow student for a tiny bit, then practiced TCC pattern and Da Lu with Mr. L, who needed a regular partner to practice this to get ready for testing for black fringe. Good practice for me too. Not sure how long we practiced. Less than a half hour? Afterwards I...........

Solo CLF practice. Wooden Dummy, Cross Pattern side of Cross Pattern vs Plum Blossom. Ping Kuen.

8:30 - Solo TCC practice Wind Chasing Fan, what I know of double gim, Small Circle Fast form, 48 combination and 54 gim. I do indeed, after a couple days of not practicing it, have this re-memorized! Thanks to the TCC accelerated membership class last Friday!

9:45 - School closes

3 hours and 10 minutes

axelb likes this.
  19. aaradia

Tuesday, July 10, 2018 -

6:38ish - (Late due to traffic jam because of accident on Freeway) Two person staff practice with Ms. B

7:00 - Forms practice with Ms. R. Stick, spear, broadsword, Formal exercise, Sup Ji Jit Fu, Small 5 Animal, & Solo Golden Leopard vs Tiger. What I know of Ping Kuen and Shaolin 5 Animal.

8:00 - CLF private lesson. Same routine for awhile. In the middle of learning Ping Kuen and 3 Section Staff.

8:30 - practicing what I learned in private lesson to solidify new moves of Ping Kuen and 3 Section Staff.

9:05ish - school closes

2 hours and 28 minutes

Wednesday, July 11, 2018 - Evening shift/ rest day

20. aaradia

Thursday, July 12, 2018 -

6:25 - last half of TCC class. Details of some particular moves, then ran through the 24 and 40. I forgot cloud hands in the 24. I keep doing that in class lately. Don't know why. Don't forget practicing with others or solo, just in that class. It is weird.

7:00 - Tai Sifu CLF class/ Advanced CLF class. Today was a format style run through of the first 5 levels of techniques and kicks. A few corrections, but not much. The other instructor took over tor Tai Sifu partway through the class.

8:00 - Private TCC lesson. We finished up relearning the double gim. Really only needed a few moves. It is a very short form. Weird (word of the day for me today), I only need one more form for this level of curriculum materials.But that is because I was learning stuff before we had this level of curriculum materials. They JUST added levels past senior black fringe. As in really just added it a couple of months ago. I don't think anyone has tested in it yet.

8:30 - practiced what I learned in my lesson to solidify it. Also went over 48 combination. And lightly went over new things learned in CLF lesson last night.

9:10 - I could have stayed longer, but I have to get up early for physical therapy for my thumbs tomorrow. So I left.

2 hours and 45 minutes