Jones vs Comier

Discussion in 'MMA' started by maressa, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I think the problem refs have hit is it isn't a foul to hold his hand out. Big John repeatedly tells him to keep his hand closed or fingers up, but I don't think he can actually do anything if he doesn't. There do need to be more point deductions though. He can't do it so many times over 5 rounds and still only get warnings. Much as some knock him, I'd like to see Mazzagatti ref more of his fights. At least he's done points for things like fence grabs that the rest let slide.

I'd also like refs to let fighters actually recover from being poked. Every single time they walk over to them and the choice is basically "do you want a dr to stop it or can you continue?" Just once I'd like to hear a fighter go "No mate, I just got poked in the eye. Give me my 7 minutes then come back to me."

2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Every ref should say "first eye poke I take a point...second eye poke I'll DQ you".
    I guarantee the eye pokes would stop.

3. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Either that or we need a fighter with a Tyson mentality, he fouls me, it's dinner time, and it's an all you can eat finger buffet.

In all seriousness though, Jones tenancy to get flustered by pressure is why i think Cain would probably have the best chance of beating him, mostly because his clinch striking seems vastly superior to DC's, and it's backed up by a lot of power.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  4. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

I like that idea. Unfortunately, Dana & Co. would probably lead ahead of the commission in having whoever it would be that put the clamps on Jonesy :)D) banned for life. I could see it.

UFC becoming the media - savvy flavour of politicians that one sees on Hunger Games.

5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

It's weird how eye pokes are met with "meh" by the powers that be, despite causing in some cases long term and lasting damage, and yet a bite, which would probably cause less damage than a bad facial cut, would pretty much be an insta-ban and your walking papers back to the Bush leagues.

6. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Intentional? lol,hell, its a feaking fetish of his!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Me561PrMRp4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Me561PrMRp4[/ame]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  7. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

If interested...

Jones with no win bonus?

8. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Is Jones the nearest thing to a "JKD" fighter thats fought in UFC? I mean he eye jabs,low and body side kicks,oblique kicks to knee/thigh,add a straight blast and do we have a big Bruce? does he base his fighting style on Bruces main techs? :)

9. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

10. Southpaw535

Might have taken a contract to be paid more per fight with the trade off he doesn't get a win bonus. Its a better deal and he's one of the few who could get one. Plus god knows what deals he has with sponsorships and stuff now.

11. Mushroom

I was thinking that myself. GSP and Chuck Liddell had similar deals, but they were on top of their win bonuses. In the end though, no matter what they earn, money is money.
    So its an interesting choice to fore-go any bonuses for other deals (gates/ppv etc).

12. Southpaw535

I'd take a larger show pay for waiving a win bonus. Unless the win would be a lot more, its not worth the gamble. 500,000 is ludicrous money anyway. Can't remember the last time I saw someone making that kind of cash other than GSP.

13. Mushroom

Maybe a reason for the increased aggression in the build ups then?(conspiracy hat on)

It's still a gamble though to refuse the bonus. Even Billionaires would think twice. So it'll be interesting to see what deals they have (and what Jones has to do)

Still, $500k just to turn up.

All the fighters in the main card...added their money together and it came up to $546k. (including DC).

Still not boxing money though....or footy...or NBA....maybe Hockey....

14. Southpaw535

I haven't seen his old pay. What I mean is if his old contract was, say, 200 000 to show and 220 000 win bonus then he might as well take almost all of it as a guarantee and at this point in his career know sponsorships are making up the shortfall. I think I read GSP was making in the ten millions a year once sponsorship was taken into account.