Jones vs Comier

Discussion in 'MMA' started by maressa, Dec 29, 2014.

1. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

So, that was insane.

2. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Paul Felder? Yeah!

I knew the reach advantage to be no joke but I warn't expecting Jonesy's unanswered takedowns ... wow.

3. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Yeah, Nick Diaz be damned, love me some spinning...well, you know the quote.

I think at this point, the only tangible threat to him is currently wearing the heavyweight belt, and even then, he's the odds on favorite. (unless Gus is actually a better wrestler than DC)

Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
  4. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Cormier ran out of gas in the 4th. Until then it was a really exciting fight. Can we get a Gustafsson rematch now, please?

5. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Don't count out rumble yet man.

6. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Man. DC looked like he had his knee wrenched in the 1st. See him visibly limping. Then an eye poke, fingers in the glove..

but yeah DC got out-struck, he got taken down when tired, still managed a throw. It was hard to watch but kinda expected.

Rumble/Jones would be interesting.

7. MaxSmith

MaxSmith Valued Member

Fielder was great. Used a healthy mix if strikes followed from all ranges, had excellent head movement, and nice footwork. I don't recall seeing him fight before but he's definitely one to watch.

8. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Bones v cormeir ...best fight of the night..

best fighter won ...

:yeleyes:

9. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

NSAC really need to start punishing Jones for those eye pokes.

10. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

One of the UFC fighters had tweeted during the bout "you know you have a reputation when the announcer says "first eye poke of the round", lol.

11. Mushroom

Surprisingly the only poke. Not including the glove grab, the shorts grab, the knee wrench and attempted shoulder wrench....but otherwise clean fight from Jones.

Now to wait for Gus/Rumble result.

12. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Jones wasn't the only one grabbing shorts.

13. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

No, but you can guarantee some dirty tactic in a Jones fight. Hasn't he been DQ'd once already?

14. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Yes, for a illegal 12 to 6 elbow strike against Matt Hamill. He had Hamill soundly beaten, there was no need for it.

Now we are back to answering the question "why is Jones disliked?"

He is an excellent fighter though. Underrated lately due to being disliked.

15. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

He really needs to embrace his inner Mayweather.

16. Bobby Gee

Bobby Gee Valued Member

Personally I'd like to see cormier vs velasquez.

17. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Dirty tactics are valid reasons to dislike someome.

18. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Wrench's aren't fouls though. I fully understand why people might think they're dirty, but they're perfectly legal. I actually liked seeing him try a shoulder wrench against Belfort. Was nice to see someone try it.

That's the thing, fouls being unacceptable aside, he's damaging his own legacy when he really doesn't need to. I hate watching people deliberately foul, but from someone like Jones who could be just as dominant without them it seems really pathetic. That and he's the most consistent fouler I think I've ever seen. Even Kongo's nut shots weren't as expected every fight as a Jones poke. The only person I'd rank higher on my "scummy fighter" listing is Palhares and that's only due to the seriousness of what he did. Jones still has him beat in quantity.

19. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I dislike Jon Jones because he tries to come across as a nice Christian but in reality has a mean streak a mile wide but tries to hide it.
    Because he fights dirty when he doesn't need to.
    Because he's homophobic.
    Helluva a fighter though which makes it all the more annoying he feels the need to skirt the rules.

20. Mushroom

Oh I'm actually all for wrenching in combat sports at this level. Its nasty and not nice, but neither is punching someone's face.

We train it in wrestling sometimes but have to be so careful.