Jon Jones new sponsor!

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Mushroom, Jan 7, 2015.

1. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I was going to have a retiarius tattoo done as I think its likely what I would have been pinned as due to my body type. Luckily I read up on them and learned how they were perceived before I made a very bad mistake :p

2. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I always wondered what happened to your idea. To be fair, its whatever it means to you. As long as its not badly done and you're ok with the design then crack on.
    Also...money.

Anyhoo. Combat Sports will always be seen as barbaric in the eyes of those who don't like it. Can't make everyone happy.
    We are starting (in UK) to be a bit more progressive, you got Gareth A Davies now doing a column in the Telegraph. Daily Fail now has a MMA sports section.

Jones will out grow this situation. What would you do at his age with his accomplishments? I dare say I probably would have ended up worse.
    And he is in no way worse than Chuck Liddell, whom had legendary orgies, drink and drug binges during his reign.
    I'm not saying its a good thing to do (I've had friends who I've had stern talking to with their choice of partners who 'party'), but Jones is young enough and dominant in the sport enough that this will be seen as a minor misstep in his career.
    His first loss will over shadow anything.

3. Southpaw535

Mate I still have that idea and now I have 4 others. Just money. There will be one done after my fight's done and I don't have to worry about time off.

Completely agree with this. Its more and more likely to mention mma and have someone know what you mean. More than that, they react with some interest instead of recoiling in horror. At least among our generation its recognized as a sport and less as spectacle fighting.

That's the thing. This is just adding to the people who will watch him to boo him. The only drug test that will truly damage a star's power is a roid one. Other than that, sky's the limit really.

4. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

What's your body type mate? I've read a fair deal about them and could probably give you a good idea on what you'd have been trained as.

5. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

This was from his latest promo shoot.

[​IMG]

6. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

It's rather a damned shame that combat sports have such a bad rap, when nearly every code of football has some form of direct or indirect violence attached to it and it's culture, often times it sort of reminds me of a thinly veiled substitute for war and clannish behaviors to some extent.

As for your Jones/Liddell comparison, while it is true that hard earned greatness would only further an internal desires for personal vices, Liddell was always presented as the guy who walked in a bar and would do a shot with his fans, Jones has always presented himself as a pious family man, so it's really a case of honesty to the fan base, if you lie to the people who follow the sport, that tends to make you more of a villain than the actual act itself would.

To be honest, i think the best thing he could do for not only himself, but the sport, is take the Mayweather route, and make himself the most hated man in the sport, the money would roll in, and he can stop lying to not only the fans, but himself.

7. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Come now Redcoat, that wig isn't fooling anyone, we recognize your tats.

8. Southpaw535

Skinny ectomorph. Lack of any real muscle anywhere except possibly my upper back, and at 21 I'm around 5'10 and 70kg. If that's the info you wanted :p

9. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Sound like you'd probably be trained up as a thraex, small shield, curved sword, armored legs, an arm protector and a helmet with a high visor, it was also believed to be the style of Spartacus.

https://www.google.com/search?q=thr...PFmAXO64GQAg&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1920&bih=955

10. Southpaw535

Wonderful! Think I might end up sticking with the murmillo design just because it'll fit better but I appreciate the info. I feel far less feminine now :D

11. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

No worries, man.

12. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

SP. Get the 1 tattoo first then see how it goes after. :p

I tend to agree, those who place themselves on a higher pedestal falls harder. However regardless of who you are, drugs scandals are bad for everyone.

Tito played the Heel card, hard. In a way he was a self marketing genius.
    But, none of know Jon Jones, I don't know his personality and I doubt anyone here does as well. So to say "He should play himself" is a bit weird, because maybe he's not playing. Maybe he is just that wrong in the head.

13. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Damn.

14. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I'm 5'4* and 75kg :p

* = 5'3.75 rounded up

15. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Oh my god . . . . that explains EVERYTHING!

16. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

[​IMG]

17. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Murmillo or Secutor, which would probably make you a fan favorite

18. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

That might be the case, people are very multifaceted, but from the little I've seen he tends to present himself as a fairly dedicated christian and family man, but he tends to have a rather temperamental side, but rather than address or accept it, he just seems to pretend it doesn't exist, and while he is no doubt a great athlete, he seems to want to present himself as a humble dedicated champion within the greater theatrics of the sport, which he is often not, which may stem from honest self belief or it might be a constructed deliberate persona, but as it stands he is either too complicated a person to construct a proper public persona, he is delusional or he is hiding who he really is, which makes him much less of a draw than his talent probably should make him.

19. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Sweet :D

20. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Your welcome, man.