Jon Jones new sponsor!

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Mushroom, Jan 7, 2015.

1. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

For me, this is neither here nor there. Coke gets metabolised through the system incredibly quickly afterall, The fact that he was caught using an illegal drug during his competitive career as a UFC champ at all is (for me) a serious problem.

I get why Dana still let him fight for the title, but IMO he is still in the moral wrong area.

Precisely how I feel :). He may be a better fighter than Cormier, but he shouldn't be hailed as a champ, the same as if he'd broken most other laws.

2. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I'm thinking the reasoning for the post fight test is to see if there was any left. If there was, then Jones would definatly be stripped and either awarded to Cormier or possibly have it as an open title.

3. LemonSloth

I thought most fighters were tested post fight as standard? Or have I got my wires completely crossed?

4. LemonSloth

Looks like I'm not the only one who thinks Jones should lose his title:

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/1/7...ld-strip-jon-jones-of-title-cocaine-drug-test

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  5. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Jones is the UFC's biggest star. It is unrealistic to expect them not to apply a double standard to his behaviour. It might not be fair, but do we really want to see another division wrecked by the removal of its biggest star?

6. LemonSloth

Agreed. Still a terrible attitude to have, but a realistic one.

Ruined? Nah. Just think, you could have title fight bouts...with no eye pokes! :p

Besides, the UFC would never totally get rid of him. Which means eventually the demand to see him go for another title fight would drum up plenty of business.

7. Mushroom

Quite a few are, but not all. I'm assuming title fights are all tested after.

Here's another BE article.

Reebok not changing their stance with Jones, but however the Commission still has the right to issue a penalty.

8. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

See when I read it this is what came to mind
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hLQCA2h8kA"]Terrorvision - Tequilla - YouTube[/ame]

9. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

I think you to mean post testing to inquire if Jones were still using. He'd of had to have snorted the equivalent volume of a sack of sugar for there to have been any left from his last use in December, lol.

10. Mushroom

Well he's a big boy ain't he? lol

11. belltoller

WARNING NSFW - LANGUAGE

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnHU2HgV6UU"]Nick and Nate Diaz Smoking Weed - YouTube[/ame]

12. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

13. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

So he's either very ill or paying someone to cover up his juicing habits.

Not likely to be snorting coke and looking a figure of health if it was the former.

14. belltoller

I'm looking at mine from a few weeks ago...188 ng/dL... which is considered pathologically low for a 50yr old man. From the article Fusen posted, Jonesy has a total Test (I'm assuming serum) of 0.59 nano grams/deci litre.

Is that even possible?

I can tell you what its like to go through a few minutes of cardio or boxing a heavy bag with my levels of Test - its heartbreaking. Jones certainly doesn't look or perform like he's anywhere near my levels, let alone, near zero.

Something is definitely wrong here...

15. LemonSloth

Soon as I saw the suggestion that his test was stupidly low I kinda figured that someone had been masking it. There is absolutely no realistic way his levels would be that low naturally, not for a guy in his condition doing what he does.

IIRC, Cormier had the same issue mind.

16. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

17. belltoller

Farce it be. Having had childhood friends who went to rehab - they want outta that place tout de suit the first few days, especially. Rehabs have a 'lock-down' policy at least until the rattles are over.

Of course it may be that its a different thing when an adult voluntarily checks in - leave at any time. ( didn't read the article, headache )

I really would like to give him the benefit of a doubt ( yeah, I know ) but one canna help wonder how much of the metabolite issue is some sort of contrivance - especially given his recent performance in the cage. Someone rattled so badly for a bump that they canna stay more'n a night in a rehab would have been a user on their way down and Cormier would've have hammered him back to the stone-age had he been in a weakened state.

Either way...not good

18. Mushroom

19. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

This sort of thing doesn't do MMA's image much good.

The mainstream media already thinks "cage fighters" are barbarians who paint themselves in lambs blood and go at it with metal fishing nets and garden forks.

20. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

And even back in Rome the retiarii were generally despised by the average gladiator fan, so that is saying something.