Jon Jones new sponsor!

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Mushroom, Jan 7, 2015.

1. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Apparently its Coke!

http://www.fightersonlymag.com/cont...ts-after-jones-enters-drug-treatment-facility

oh wait.

2. Mushroom

Personally, don't think it affected his fighting. But now obviously it'll bring up questions like use of other recreational drug use.

Joe Rogan has always argued (an old argument) that the active component in weed is well and truly gone and used up but can stay in your system for weeks, should be tested differently as its not a performance enhancer.

Would type more but I got work in 4hrs.

Discuss. :p

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

4. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Wait, I MUST be missing something............

You can't smoke pot, but you can do cocaine according to Athletic Commissions?

Tell me I am misunderstanding this?

5. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

It's a good question. I've only competed in solo events like kobudo kata. For those who fight resisting opponents-what advantage could weed possibly give you? I've never used any significant amount, but it certainly never made me feel more aggressive/pumped/etc. AFAIK, it's just a taboo invented by right-wing drug warriors.

6. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

All recreational drugs out of competition are not banned. Diaz and others have all got caught right after a fight. Jones got caught a month before.

7. Mushroom

(damn phone!)

Yup as above, all recreational drugs are only banned when its still in your system on the day of your fight. Hence the post fight testing.
    The pre-fight testing is for stuff like steroids.

I believe Melvin Guillard has been suspended for cocaine in post fight, I maybe mistaken but definately someone has been done for it.

This is probably as to why there was no win fight bonus for Jones (as mentioned in the Jones vs Cormier thread)

In my opinion, I don't think his use of coke, weeks before a fight affected the outcome and only Jones can say whether or not it affected his training.

The only thing to see now is how the sponsors look at him. They might be sympathetic they might not.

8. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

So, presumably he (and the UFC) were made aware some days after his test in December that he'd been tested positive for the metabolite...he was then tested after the fight and the results were negative...

Okay...does seem a bit...just because certain drug metabolites (Heroin, cocaine ) break-down biochemically quicker and are excreted through the system faster than, say THC, it doesn't seem quite "fair" that people like Diaz and whoever smokes cannabis are penalised, often heavily, because of that drug's affinity for fat and therefore hangs around in the body almost indefinitely. In either case, whatever effects it may have had on the performance during a given fight have long gone.

I thought the whole idea of testing for metabolites was to have proof that an illegal substance had been consumed - period

As far as it affecting Jones performance. He is obviously in the beginning stages - lucky for him he was caught early. One doesn't stay a "recreational" user of cocaine for too long before it completely owns them; lock, stock and barrel.

I canna quite understand the need for "recreational" drugs like cocaine. It doesn't help one "enjoy" anything; in fact, it does quite the opposite, it eventually destroys the balance of serotonin and other neurotransmitters that enable a person to feel satisfied, happy with their achievements - its a delicate balance.

Aren't there enough stories of the "vicious cycle down"? Anyone ever heard of someone successfully using for 30 years and looking like Jack Lalane at 90?

I suppose it comes with the fast cars, women and other vices that surround stardom.

I'd hoped that he'd been wiser than that.

Hope he comes out the better for it.

9. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Most people have literally no idea what they're getting into. Many by the time they do realize it have very little ability to exercise any real control over it. Having gone through two business partners who become completely blown out over coke in the last decade I've seen it absolutely wreck people. Top to bottom. Wouldn't wish it on anyone.

When you start to play with serotonin and other neurotransmitters you are on a slippery slope. Science doesn't even fully understand how the system works let alone people getting railed on the weekends.

10. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Ok, thanks for explaining, but something still seems really wrong with it. I have to think what exactly is bugging me, but it feels wrong and hypocritical still- even with this explanation.

It is a gut reaction, let me think on it.

11. Bobby Gee

Bobby Gee Valued Member

Apparently the Nevada state athletic com. knew about this wen he was tested in December. Why then didnt they also test him after the fight also

12. belltoller

I believe that he was and the result was negative - 'Shroom, correct me if I'm wrong.

13. Mushroom

I agree, the active ingredient (THC) should be adjusted. However, since weed is illegal still in most states etc. I guess they cannot be seen to condone the use of it unless for medical reasons. Like how TRT was being used.
    Also there is the argument that people break it down at different rates. So a "Diaz" size dose may be nothing for them...but for me it'll probably knock me on my behind for ages. :p

14. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

The commission Chair in the Diaz vs. Gomi hearing alleged that Nick was stoned in the actual ring. No idea if that's true or not (seems pretty unlikely) but that's part of the basis on which he was sanctioned.

15. Bobby Gee

Bobby Gee Valued Member

Hopefully after rehab John jones isn't such a rear end bad sport piece of shoosh.

16. Bobby Gee

Bobby Gee Valued Member

I think they are really deluded about marajuana.

17. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

A similar thing happened to Tyson when he fought Golota, but it was argued that he would have a higher pain tolerance than his opponent, but it was also argued that he'd have to have had at least a dozen cones since the weigh in, but this was post the bite fight so he was already on thin ice.

As for Diaz, i think that had as much to do with pride officials finding a way to redeem their golden boy (Gomi) than anything else, but as Enson Inoue pointed out on Joe Rogan's podcast, The Pride people were always insane about drugs, given how they would only test for recreational substances, but made it perfectly clear they didn't test for steroids.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  18. belltoller

Lol...when I first came here, that's all I did. The years from about 12 to 14 or so were literally enveloped in a cloud of smoke. I don't recall any of the classes I took or remember doing anything fun - I quit skateboarding, didn't participate in any sports - anything at all. Years of absolute nothing.

Luckily for me, someone watching over me decided the school and neihborhood of kids doing absolutely nothing warn't the best environment and put me in a better situation.

But I'm gobsmacked when I hear adults say they do this 'recreationally'. For what? It just makes you stupid and not want to do anything...literally.

I think they ought to give fighters like Diaz a handicap for using it as it sure canna help their performance, lol.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  19. belltoller

Just the opposite. When you've the drugs and are feeling good, you're as sweet as pie - its after you canna get them anymore, thats when you turn into a monster.

20. Bobby Gee

Bobby Gee Valued Member

By far less pain felt high on stimulants than on weed from my many experiences in fights on drugs. No doubt.