Jon Jones ducks MW Goat and P4P king, decides to rematch Karate Boy Machida Instead.

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Knoxy, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Knoxy

Knoxy Undisputed and Undefeated

That's right, Dan Henderson has joined fellow fighters GSP and Dominick Cruz in having an annoying knee injury. He's had to pull out.

Dana tried to get in touch with Lyoto Machida (but he was on a plane), so he calls up the best damn middleweight there ever was.

[​IMG]

Chael agrees to the fight. However Jon Jones refuses the offer, and Dana blames Greg Jackson.

For an unbiased account here's an actual article:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...on-jones-vs-lyoto-machida-for-new-ufc-151-ppv

2. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

Yes, but Sonnen is a middleweight no?

For this fight who would have been cutting who would have been gaining?

If it's Jones who would have had to cut for the fight, he had every right to say no with 8 days up to the fight, no point in fighting ater such a big cut with 8 days notice, that would favour Sonnen so much.

But if it was Sonnen who was gaining to fight Jones in 8 days, I don't see why as a champion Jones would refuse.

But I am excited about Jones vs Machida part 2.

3. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

It would of been at LHW. Sonnen is moving up anyway and has a fight with Forrest Griffin coming up. I saw on sherdog earlier that a nice part to this story is that Sonnen accepted the fight while in hospital with a friend of his wife or something who'd just suffered a heart attack. Say what you will about Sonnen's way of promoting himself but the dude's a fighter.

I don't get why Bones did this. I don't think he's scared of Chael or anything like that, just didn't like the 8 days notice. The thing is Sonnen has nothing for him anyway and training for Hendo isn't the worst thing you could of done before fighting Sonnen.

I have more interest in a fight with Machida than one with Hendo though so that's a plus, and there were no other fights on that card I was dying to see so the event cancellation makes sense. Still a shame.

4. CrowZer0

In that case I don't get why Bones refused, we can only speculate it had something to do with the 8 days or as Dana said, Greg Jackson had something to do with this?

5. Knoxy

Knoxy Undisputed and Undefeated

Well Jones was supposed to fight Hendo at 151 and he was supposed to cut for that anyway. Sonnen would have to cut to make 205 as well. Sonnen was the guy who was just gonna be a replacement.

This is true in Sonnen's own words his left hand is the mirror of Hendo's right.

I have more interest in a fight with Machida than one with Hendo though so that's a plus, and there were no other fights on that card I was dying to see so the event cancellation makes sense. Still a shame.[/QUOTE]

To be honest I don't think Machida Jones rematch would be much different. I hope I'm wrong, I think Machida can beat him standing but Jones can get him down and elbow him into oblivion.

6. karl52

karl52 openminded

gutted...but what will Machida bring any different?

7. Bob Marley

Bob Marley Banned Banned

If 'Bones' did accept the fight with Sonnen... it would be total murder.
    I dont believe Chael would do to well against the last 4 fighters Jones has completely dominated.

8. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Chael doesn't need to gain, as a like a lot of fighters he cuts a lot to get to 185lb. Last I read he actually walks around at +205lb-ish anyway.

However, I do agree that Chael probably wont do that well, but imagine if he pulls it off.

Jones was advised by Greg Jackson that "If you take this fight (against Sonnen) it will be the biggest mistake of your life".
    I'm no pro-coach myself but training with fighters for fights and being exposed to that kind of pre-fight preparations and mentality...I don't understand it as much.

Sonnen is quicker and has better submission skills but had not trained since Anderson so Jones' chances of winning is quite high.

Just listening to the conference now...

oh....and now

http://www.fightersonlymag.com/content/news/17015-machida-not-fighting-jones-belfort-in

9. Mushroom

OK so now its Belfort v Bones Jones.

Machida apparently had not agreed to the fight when asked and has now refused as although he was next in line anyway. During the conference call Dana White was stating that in no way Jones is allowed to refuse this fight (as Jones was not wanting to fight him anyway).

Now with Machida refusing the fight in a few weeks notice, has not curried favour with the UFC. Considering many fighters willing to fight on shorter notice.
    This time though, Machida knew he was coming up next and (lets be honest, although I'm a Hendo fan) good chances he was facing Bones. Main issue would be weight cutting, however from what I understand, Lyoto is pretty much constantly within weight anyway.
    Trying to look at Lyoto's side, in the end its their bodies that they are putting on the line and the disadvantages outweigh the benefits.

Also to be clear UFC 151 is scrapped completely. 152 is the new 151. How this affects the other fighters (on the prelims, the co-main etc) is unsure at this time. Chances are with the history of how UFC works, they'll probably either still get paid and most likely moved to another card.

10. CrowZer0

That kinda sucks, was looking forward to Jones V Machida.

Dana is quite a cry baby isn't he?

So basically, Machida, refused the fight with such short notice, Dana looks bad because he announced it, so he "punishes" Machida. Immature of Dana.

11. Mushroom

So what about Chael? 8 days notice just became a month?

How did Belfort come into this? Where was Shogun (who apparently refused Olivera Texdera so he can get a better fight into #1 status).

When has Dana ever been mature ? :D

12. CrowZer0

Never it seems, ah yes this is interesting, more time on the table now, would be very interested in seeing if the Chael/Jones thing comes up again. Why vitor why!!!

13. Mushroom

Screw it.

GO VITOR!!!

(right...off to the gym. I expect good further discussion on this)

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  14. CrowZer0

I'm late for a scheduled meatball sub, I did my gym session early!

15. Mushroom

I wonder who Jones be fighting when I get back...

16. mad_hatter

mad_hatter New Member

I can understand Machida refusing the fight, three weeks to prepare for Jones is a very short time. Jones beat him pretty easily first time round, Machida really needs to prepare well for this.

But, I too don't understand why Jones refused to fight Sonnen? Was he (or Jackson) really scared he'd lose to a guy just coming up to weight, with no time to train?

If this were my choice, I'd say leave Jones to prepare for Machida, the #1 contender, and have them fight at their scheduled event. Why is anybody elses name being banded around at all?

17. roninmaster

roninmaster be like water

my sentiments exactly. I might be missing something, but why not Phil Davis? He'd be the next contender outside of a immediate rematch between evans, or rampage.

I don't want to so seem like a hater, though i probably am, but I don't see why Chael deserves this fight simply because he says he wants it. other then him just running his mouth to get an immediate title shot.(again) Why is his name coming up he hasn't fought at LHW in 7 years, and wasn't successful in it. not to mention that it would be a slaughter anyway. if roy nelson dropped to LHW and said he wants within the next week are we giving it to him?

Vitor isn't too much better, and has fought more higher level of opponents consistently, but he lost almost every big name fighter they've put him up in against in the past 10 years,with the exception of rich Franklin, and he's had the cream of the crop in they're prime while he was younger.

My philosophy with MMA fights is simple: I'd rather see a good fight, then a hyped up fight.

I say Phil Davis all the way if thats a possibility, but I might be missing something if nobody seems to even be saying his name.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  18. mattt

mattt Valued Member

I'm bummed about the Hendo fight, I really thought it would be a good match up, and I like both fighters.

Funny thing about people refusing the fight. I was in the locker room the other day and the boys there were talking about the old Pride days, how when they went to Brazil for light sparring they would come back with broken jaws, the students there with no name would be fighting/training 100% ready for the call.

Pride would call up and say 'give me a lightweight' and the coach would call out who wanted to fight (basically everybody) and send their best guy over.

Apparently this took its toll on them too, lots of self administered pain killers (via needles)in the locker room after training etc.

Difference was, these guys were dirt poor and hungry. But once you are close to the top you have a lot more to lose, if any of these guys gets dominated then their earning potential gets hammered. I would say that some, like Shogun and Hendo are coming towards the end of their careers now, last few years, so maybe they can be a bit more reckless with taking a fight, for Machida, if he loses it would be a big deal I think as his record since being champ hasn't been exceptional, he is on a fine line about become the number 1 contender again.

A huge fight for Belfort, good risk reward here.

Weidman volunteered too - ballsy move from him to go up, but again smart as if he failed he can blame it on the weight/short notice etc. I'd like to see more solid fights for him soon.

19. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

From what I read the fight was offered to a couple different guys who all turned it down. Chael wasn't the first choice. He was the first guy who said "I'll do it!".

I can appreciate the long preparation required for a fight geared towards a specific fighter. However, I think if you're going to call yourself a fighter and you have been training then you ought to be ready for anything in your weight class come fight time. There's always a chance that your opponent could suffer an injury in training and be substituted.

20. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Genius move by Chael though - no longer can he dine out on the first fight with an injured Silva, he is right back into the mix and talking he usual brand of trollsmack

For the next 12 months he will be calling himself the "REAL" LHW champ and "the man Jones fears" and tadaa! Instant relevancy

Hate him all you want ( and I am no fan at all) but that is slick maneuvering!!