Johnno's sort-of-training-log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Johnno, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Tuesday 2015/03/24. Running club, and another interesting group 5 session led by Tom! A somewhat flatter route this week, and we didn't spend quite as much time waiting for the tail of the group to catch up with the head. But still the route ended up being cut short to get us back to base bang on time, which most group leaders aren't so particular about.

The upshot was that we did quite a decent pace, but only ran for 5.3 miles.

2. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Missed Taiji class on Wednesday because I had to work very late. Also missed my Thursday morning run because I had too much work to do.

Saturday 2015/03/28. Parkrun. Wnr for a quick time and started well. but after about 2.5 km all my energy just suddenly seemed to drain out of me, like someone had pulled out a plug! Never known anything like it before. Managed to pick up a bit for a decent sprint finish though. Time was half a minute over last week's PB, so not too bad in the circumstances. Bit of a mystery why I 'crashed' like I did though.

Sunday: needed to get the place ready for my son coming to stay with me for a few days, so I gave my run a miss. It's turned into a bit of a lazy week, really! (Although I've worked very long hours.)

3. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Well I've pretty much had a week off running and stuff, while my son was staying with me. We had talked about him coming along to running club on the Tuesday, but in the end he had other plans which clashed. I was going to go along as normal, but got nipped on the finger nail by a dog on Tuesday and was still in a lot of pain all evening, so I decided not to go in the end. First time I've missed it in about seven months, which was a pity.

--------------

Saturday 2015/04/04, Parkrun. Originally planned to do an easy run then a longer run on Sunday, but felt quite lively when I got there, and decided to try for a quick time instead. Set off quickly and managed to keep it going quite nicely throughout. Turned out that I missed my PB by 2 seconds. Which is disappointing in some ways, but encouraging in others!

--------------

Sunday 2015/04/05. Back to my 'training route', which continues to feel steeper every time I do it. Must be down to seismic activity or something. Decided very quickly that I wouldn't up the distance to 8 miles but would stick at 6.

Was trying out a new pair of running shoes for the first time, and considering that they were a really cheap pair I was very pleased with them. I suppose the real question is how long they will last. I really should have got a new pair months ago, because my old ones have done a crazy amount of mileage and are wearing pretty thin. If this cheapo pair can see me through my marathon training then I'll see about getting a good pair shortly before the event itself.

It was also my first time using a running app which I downloaded for my phone. I've only got the freebie version, so the analysis of an individual run is fairly limited; but I still think that it'l be interesting to use it to build up a picture over time.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  4. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Tuesday 2015/04/07: hill sprint session with the running club.

Using the app on my phone, I can at long last verify that we actually do seventeen hills on this route. I repeated one of them twice while we waited for some of the 'tail enders' to catch up, but only at a steady jog.

I've been feeling a very slight discomfort in my left achilles for a week or so now, and after the hil session it was really rather sore. That is a bit of a worry.

5. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Edit to previous post (because the edit button isn't there) -
    elapsed time - 1:08:27
    moving time - 56:49
    distance - 5.1 miles

Which confirms what i thought at the time - to much time spent standing around waiting. It would be good if we could be split up into groups, because there is such a wide range of pace!

6. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Wednesday 2015/04/08. Taiji class. We went through the long form once, then spent the rest of the class on the sabre form.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  7. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Thursday 2015/04/09. Doing hill sprints twice in one week would be unwise, so I just planned a nice steady run instead.

It's impossible to avoid hills around here, but I tried to at least go for 'undulating' rather than 'insane'. It's a really lovely morning, and my route took me along a sort of 'urban trail', through fields and by a stream, away from the sound of traffic. In places it was almost hard to imagine that I was actually in the middle of East Leeds.

Time spent running was 56:19 and distance covered was eaxctly 6 miles, at an average pace of 9.2 mpm. The pleasing thing is that apart from the miles with the greatest ascent and descent, the other four were all done within three seconds of each other, so my pace was really consistent despite a few sharp little climbs.

And I really felt the benefit of the new running shoes for the first time.

8. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Saturday 2015/04/11. parkrun. Due to a combination of (a) starting further back because I was having a chat with someone I know, and (b) farting around with the app on my phone, I got off to a rather slow start. (And I managed to accidenly log myself right out of the phone app, so my run wasn't recorded there.) Had a really good run after that, but the time was well off a PB.

9. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Tuesday 2015/04/14. Running club, group 5. The plan was to do 7 miles at about 8.5 mpm.

Exactly how far we actually did depended on whose GPS device you believed, with results ranging from 6.8 to 7.1 miles. According to mine it was 7.1, with an average speed of 8.1 mpm. Which seems suprisingingly quick, even allowing for it being a fairly flat route overall.

For some reason, my lower legs felt really stiff and a bit sore at the start. Took a while to wear off, and by then my right hamstring was as tight as hell, so overall it wasn't the most comfortable of runs for me! It feels like it might be a bit of a delayed reaction from doing next to nothing two weeks ago.

10. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Another week of doing very little, I'm afraid.

Missed Taiji class last Wednesaday, because I had to work late. Also didn't have time to fit in a Thursday morning run.

On Saturday did Pontefract parkrun, because my mate works down that way now and we try a new one each time he comes off a night shift on a Saturday morning. It's a really nice setting, in a park in the middle of the racecourse , with a small lake which we ran round a couple of times at each end of the circuit.

Sunday I was intending to do a long-ish run, but in the end I just had too much stuff to do and didn't manage to fit it in. Of course I regretted it afterwards, because my training seems to be going backwards at the moment. I've just got too many other things getting in the way right now.

11. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Tuesday 2015/04/21. Running club, group 5.

The plan was to do seven miles at 8.5 mpm, but I actually did 7.1 at 7.43! The reason that the average was so low was because we had a bit of a 'tear up' for the last couple of miles, rather than staying together as a group all the way to the finish.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  12. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I'm starting to get a bit suspicious of this running app I've been using. I compared my times from Tuesday nightwith those of two other people in our group who used the same app, and the difference is enormous. Which is really disappointing, because it's an app used by thousands of people aroun dthe world, including some professionals!

Maybe you only get accurate results when you pay for the 'premium' version! :rolleyes:

---------------

Wednesday 2015/04/22. Taiji class. Did some 'sensitivity' drills, including some where your structure is compromised but you recover and unbalance your opponent by moving your 'centre'. That was really interesting.

Then did the slow form, focussing our attention on where our centre was at all times. Which I suppose is something that you normally take for granted, but it was quite interesting to actually focus on it.

Then we spent the rest of the class practuising our sabre form.

13. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Thursday 2015/04/23. Hill sprint session in my local park.

Found it really hard to push myself flat out though. Too many of them were 'quick climbs' rather than true sprints. Planned to do ten but my achilles was starting to get a bit sore so I stopped at eight. Still had a long uphill climb back out of the park!

Slightly disappointing session overall, but I'm still glad that I made the effort to go, and hopefully I did the sensible thing by stopping when I did. I want to be in good fettle for saturday when I've planned a long run with one or two people from the running club.

14. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Which app are you using?

15. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Strava. Have you used it?

16. Bozza Bostik

No. My girlfriend and I use Runkeeper and that has given us quite different results when we have ran together and both used the app on our devices.

I think they're all a bit rubbish (inaccurate) really.

I'm not forking out for a garmin and I couldn't afford to if I wanted to.

17. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I'd have loved a Garmin, but I couldn't afford it so I went for a free app instead. I chose Strava simply because they have a tie-in with parkrun.

Overall it's quite fun to use. I know that the GPS is slightly inaccurate (last week it showed me having run across the Leeds-Liverpool canal like I was jesus or summat) but I put that down to inherent issues with GPS, and it wasn't enough to affect the overall distance or time by more than seconds.

This weeks results are concerning me though. They are just wildly inaccurate.

18. Bozza Bostik

I've only used apps. They're cheap or free. My brother uses a garmin and swears by it.

Yeah, I have had some funny results. I ran (swam) to Stockholm once and it only took me about 30 minutes. Not a bad result!

I think any of the free or super cheap apps are going to be a bit dodgy.

19. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Saturday 2015/04/25. Woodhouse Moor parkrun. Left my barcode at home and managed to screw up the GPS on my phone so the Strava app didn't record anything. Apart from that, everything was great! :rolleyes:

Just did a steady run, using it as a warm-up for my longer run afterwards. Did the 5k in about 27:46.

--------------

I then set off immediately on a 'loop' run which i planned in advance but hadn't calculated the exact distance, but I reckond on somewhere between six and seven miles. It was designed to take in the two big climbs on the Leeds Half Marathon course.

It turned out that the distance was actually 7.5 miles, which I did in 72 minutes. Given that i had done just over 10.5 miles in total, I wasn't overly concerned about the pace.

------------

I think that will be my regular routine from now on. A quick seven-miler 9or thereabouts) on Tuesdays with the club, then a hill sprint session on Thursday mornings (work permitting) and a longer run on Saturdays using parkrun as the warm-up (and forgetting about trying to set new 5k PB's until after the marathon.)

20. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Tuesday 2015/04/28. It was the running club AGM straight after our evening run, so the run itself had to finish on time!

We did 6.7 miles, but the two big climbs early on wiped most of us out I think, because the pace was pretty sedate after that. We averaged 8.40 a mile overall.

It had stopped raining shortly before we started, but looked like it might chuck it down again any second. It stayed dry though, and by the end it was a really lovely evening!