John Wong and Paul Pung

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by BGile, Apr 23, 2007.

1. John Bishop

John Bishop Valued Member

No, he came over in 1957 before he knew Poncie Ponce. You'd have to talk to some of the old Kalihi school boys to get the reason he left Hawaii. But I'm not sure if they'd talk to someone they don't know.

What time period? There were differant locations. There was the school on the east side of Lankershim. It was sort of a combination school/apartment as Leoning and some of his dojo rats lived there in a apartment above the school.
    The school on the west side, next to "Nudies" wasn't until the early 60's. The dojo rats also stayed there for awhile, sleeping on the tatami mats. But that was short lived as they got tired of having to walk down the street to the health club to shower everyday.
    I'd name some names, but your "in the know", so you probably already know them and have discussed this with them. Makes me wonder why you even ask, since you seem to contridict every answer you get. Hmm......... Must be that duplicity thing again.

Last edited: May 23, 2007
  2. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.ad...d&state=CA&zipcode=91606&country=US&geodiff=1

This is a map location for the areas I am talking about you can see the star and Victory and Lankershim the studio was close to Magnolia on Lankershim and the other was on Victory by Vineland.

East and West side, cool.

I was in the service and did not get back to the area until 64 and met John Leoning in the middle 60's so it must have been the west side.

Any more thoughts on the other picture I was mentioning?

Yes, I am asking questions. Thanks for the answers.

I do like the term Duplicity and the reasons for it...It was one that is highly correct about this whole thing we are talking about regarding "MA".

Don't you think it is a good term for all the various bits of intrigue and information and duplicit way of the time. Look at Mitose and his story or Chow any of the group that was involved in Hawaii during this time frame is interesting.

Any tid bits you can give me on Paul Pung?

Thanks...

3. John Bishop

I don't know what picture your talking about. Believe it or not.

I would have to dig out some old notes. I haven't talked to him since around the 1980's. I don't even know if he's still alive. Obviously he never became a big name in the kenpo world.

4. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

I believe you about the Pic. I explained it, and am trying to follow up on it, but right now I am pretty busy with other stuff. One of the Grandkids is involved with FFA and his Lamb this week and weekend at the fair that is at Cal Expo.

John:
    If anyone can remember a man by the name of "Fox" in the 70's at John's location it might help. GM Bautista and GM Davis were informative about the early years. Reyes and Leoning was a subject we discussed.

I am not sure what org. within the org. Thomas Mitose is/was in but I'd think you would know if he was still involved.

Remember I mentioned he would be a good candidate to be a higher up in the organization. Since he is related to the one many give credit for the start of all this Kenpo stuff. Some don't.

In Japan the term "Kenpo" is also connected to the color Purple. According to what I have read...Royality in the European countries Purple was it.
    Did Mitose wear purple and his cross?

I sent a picture to Dan a few months back, that show's Sijo wearing the cross and dressed like a monk, did he show it to you?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purple

5. John Bishop

I thought you said "he went by a differant name back then"?
    I really don't understand the importance of the picture your talking about? No one has ever denied that John Leoning belonged to the "North American Kung Fu Karate Association". He also belonged to the "Hop Sing Tong Benevolent Association".
    I'm sure there's plenty of pictures floating around like you describe. You say your in contact with Bill Ryusaki, ask him for one. Or find Carl Totten, or Johnny Mar, Share Lew, Kam Yuen, Joe Enke, Tim Hemer, Angelo Corallis, Ned Foreman. There's many, many of Leoning's students still around. And there's at least 8-10 Leoning lineage schools in So. Cal. So there's no secrets about him. You just need to ask differant people about what they know. Other then his son & daughter, and a few ex-wives, nobody knows everything about his life.

As far as I know, Tom Mitose isn't on the board of any Kajukenbo organizations. He has a high rank in Kajukenbo due to his time in the art, and his support of it. But the only organization he's interested in promoting is his own Kosho Ryu organization.

The only clerical garb I've seen James Mitose pictured in, is the standard black shirt and white clerical collar. Like the one's Catholic priests wear.
    He's pictured in Bruce's Haines first edition (Karate's History and Traditions) wearing the black suit.

Sijo never dresses "like a monk". He's been confined to a wheel chair for around 10 years, so he normally wears comfortable clothing. Most of the time he wears a sweat suit. For formal occassions he'll wear a satin type kung fu uniform. He very seldom wears a gi anymore. And unless it's halloween, I don't see a occassion where he would be dressed "like a monk".
    He has a strong Christian belief, so he does wear crosses sometimes.

6. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

I thought you said "he went by a differant name back then"?
    I really don't understand the importance of the picture your talking about? No one has ever denied that John Leoning belonged to the "North American Kung Fu Karate Association". He also belonged to the "Hop Sing Tong Benevolent Association".
    I'm sure there's plenty of pictures floating around like you describe. You say your in contact with Bill Ryusaki, ask him for one. Or find Carl Totten, or Johnny Mar, Share Lew, Kam Yuen, Joe Enke, Tim Hemer, Angelo Corallis, Ned Foreman. There's many, many of Leoning's students still around. And there's at least 8-10 Leoning lineage schools in So. Cal. So there's no secrets about him. You just need to ask differant people about what they know. Other then his son & daughter, and a few ex-wives, nobody knows everything about his life.

Yes, I mentioned that but I thought that if you were asking other's or talking about the history as you mentioned, it might help...Or not.

I just remembered the picture and it was a certain time frame because it was a picture from a paper and I just thought you might have it. Then it got into a situation where we bantered a little and then I wanted you to know I really do believe you.
    But we have had a few word's, but I said I wanted to try and keep it nice and friendly, but not Dan LOL ;) I am sort of a fiesty guy always have been :D

So about Bill Ryusaki, I was not sure he was that friendly with his leaving and going to Van Nuys. I think he is still over at the gym where "Benny" is now. I could be mistaken about that though.

I have been busy with many things even though I play at this computer thing, I pack a lot into a day :cool:

I have not been able to get down south to Simi and that area yet. I am thinking of going to a Larry Hartsell Seminar. I really enjoy his stuff, my son and I might go for the 4 day one.

http://www.jkdassoc.com/reps.html

Gary

7. John Bishop

Boy that's a under statement! :woo: The first "Ryu Dojo" was right down the street on Lankershim :mad: Back then they used the term "dojo wars". With some there's still some hard feelings.

8. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Now I fully understand. The comments that were made one evening at a dinner were interesting.

The thing is it is all like that, and part of the game and no one, no one is any different when one leaves, so you might as well be honest and let it all out, because the caca always flies LOL...

A new one opened up down the street from the Satori, Kovar (new name). It is called Moores.
    :eek: Why can't we just get along comes to mind...Because we are humans and very competitive. I was at the track today watching the trotters, blinders and all are on for a reason just look at the way they bite in real situations, studs are like that. Testoterone and a Swat team, my gosh you can cut it with a knife it fills the air so much..LOL

Part of the "triad" with Bill and John maybe.

I watched the Great Raid the other night now that is a real good movie to avoid, if you have any old memories and irritation.

Me I am always mellow :D

9. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

Umm...Which Dan are you referring to Gary? You never sent me a photo of Sijo and I've got all of your emails archived.

10. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Hmm, I sent you a link to the picture. Yes you are technically correct.
    I'll show the link here if you would like ;)

Gary

11. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

John I was asking Will about the time frame for Paul Pung again because of what you mentioned. He said;

All I can tell you about Paul Pung is I met him several times, "Hello.
    How are you?" and attended his schools (Pauls Kenpo Karate Studio) 10th
    anniversary open house in 1963.

That is what Will mentioned to me about the request, man of few word but very pointed. Hmm, I need to take lessons from him :D Regarding good writing skills.

Brevity is something I had to do for many years.
    As in:

The above date and time, we saw the above dead body in the above location. ;)
    Referring to the box'es we filled in, :D Plus a few choice mentions, to show that we were concerned, and not just cruel in-humane beings. Needed in case of testimony :p

Gary

12. John Bishop

Some cops write good reports. Some can just barely fill in the boxes.

13. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Policy, was say as little as possible. Kept the attorney's guessing and they all needing a job. (Public defenders were scarce, then they would have some appointed to do the job). Now they are making a mint.

We would turn them into the W/C and they would cross out much of what you mention and then you had to do it again. So it developed into what I mentioned. :confused:
    Now is different I have heard. Politics and all that.

I see Will, mentions that Paul Pung's was a Kenpo Karate studio... :confused:

14. John Bishop

From my old notes:

[​IMG]

15. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

From my old notes:

Thanks John for the information.
    Gary

16. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

Yeah, go ahead and post it. It's not in any of the emails that I can find.

17. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Ok, later I'll do that.
    Here is the information I posted in the James Mitose area and it should be here.
    ;)

Here is some more information on Paul Pung at Will's site. The additional about him is added by his son.

http://kenpokarate.com/first_shodan.html

So now we can talk about it since I had to not only give you a link I had to get it and post it here.
    Now any more regarding this man?

Like I said to John I do appreciate the information and the comments. It is all relevant to whom I am dealing with. :bang: This is Pacificshores favorite, not mine I would never feel this way about the weakest links I'd just be sort of :eek: If it was me and I could not find it. Hmmm three of you read it and came up with the same observation. Maybe you are the same person different web name...Stranger things have happened on the net. But it is a clue. ;)

Well I am off to the county fair at Cal Expo...Have a good one, it is 0541 here in the Capitol of CA... :D

Gary :p

Last edited: May 25, 2007