Joe Rogan teaches GSP Spinning Kick

Discussion in 'MMA' started by KidKrav, Feb 1, 2011.

1. KidKrav

KidKrav Valued Member

I had no idea Joe Rogan was a national Taekwondo champion back in the day...

This video is awesome. Jump to about 14:30 to see Rogan teaching GSP a stellar looking spinning back kick.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhNow6hBO7Q"]YouTube - Eddie Bravo "MASTERING THE SYSTEM" episode 17 (feat. GSP, Joe Rogan,George Sotiropoulos)[/ame]

*note* If a mod feels like adding the "e" into "teaches" it would be much appreciated. I copied and pasted the title from here and didn't realize they cut it short... Done - moosey

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  2. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I knew, from a magazine article years ago, that Rogan was a taekwondo competitor years ago. Think I remember him saying he gave it up to pursue comedy. But it was interesting to see him actually move. I'm used to just seeing him as a commentator. Good find.

3. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Yeh he mentions it quite a bit. Usually when Stephen Bonnar fights (TUF1 finale) as he is also TKD background. Although Joe Rogan wasnt a big fan of TKD as well (possible love/hate relationship).

4. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

ahhh funny enough that is one kick that I'm working on for 2011. :)

5. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

It is a good back kick. You usually see a sort of "hopping" back kick from MMAists, but this guy does it the way that I was taught is correct.

6. slipthejab

what is this type of kick called in Karate?

7. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

ushirogeri (lit. back kick)

8. KidKrav

KidKrav Valued Member

What's the difference between that and "Ura yoko geri"?

9. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

I thought it was a spinning side kick to be honest.

10. Fish Of Doom

ura yoko geri means inverted side kick. don't even know what that would be :p.

if you mean ushiro yoko geri, the karate side kick generally hits more with the blade of the foot, so you would turn more before kicking. this is why GSP's back kick is more like an upwards kick, as the standard ushiro geri is for all intents and purposes a mule kick (bear in mind originally karate kicks were all to the knees and balls, basically)

11. KidKrav

KidKrav Valued Member

I'm no expert when it comes to Japanese terms. Rather I was just using my Google Fu to answer slip's question. I saw both terms come up and I'm curios as to what the difference between them is...

12. slipthejab

hmmm interesting stuff fellas.. one of the first that came to mind was the kicks that Sakurabab would throw in Pride back in the day. Need to dig up a video of that to see what particular version of this type of kick it is. If I recall he lands with the heel quite solidly.

Interesting.

13. Killa_Gorillas

According to this it means spinning side kick?

http://www.karate.org.nz/gojuryu/terminology/legs

14. Killa_Gorillas

Nor me... I looked up what you wrote and found it translated as spinning side kick :hat:

I thought that's what the technique was that Joe Rogan was demoing... :dunno:

15. Fish Of Doom

what it means is inverted side kick, what they call it is something else entirely :p

karate terminology, particularly between different styles/orgs is a mindscrew, tbh.

16. righty

righty Valued Member

In Rogan's UFC debut it's mentioned he's a TKD black belt as part of his introduction.

17. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

There isn't really a distinction in most schools of karate between a reverse kick and a reverse side kick - they'd just be considered variations on the same technique. e.g. in my avatar I'm doing an ushiro geri, but you can see that my hips have opened out and it's landing like a side kick. That wasn't a tactical decision or anything, it just came out that way :D

18. Fish Of Doom

yet in some schools you will get absolutely chewed out for it, IME.

19. liero

liero Valued Member

In my experience no one REALLY minds what technique it is as long as the kick crushes the person your fighting!

Unless it's aerial kicking...

20. Fish Of Doom

you have never experienced the obsessiveness us karateka have about our techniques