Jobs in Martial Arts

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Lucharaan, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Lucharaan

Lucharaan New Member

I'm 18 now so dammit, it's time to start actin like it! :woo:

Can you guys find me a job for martial arts in the Pennsylvania area, (since that's where I'm at right now), or find me a school in that area. I'm gonna start small and maybe clean floors and windows for martial arts schools.

2. JKD_Haduken

JKD_Haduken New Member

would you like to be my full time punching bag??? :D

3. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

If you want a job to test your MA skills, go and work on the doors in clubs or in security, plenty of experiance to be gained at grassroots level! :D

Of course, the Police can always use your MA skills.

4. Lucharaan

Lucharaan New Member

Sure! I'm a big man and I'm heavy, sign me up bo!

5. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Dazed & Confused

You never mentioned windows before!

get yourself over to the UK and you can do mine for me - I'll give you £10 for it

6. Lucharaan

Lucharaan New Member

I'll go if u pay for my plane ticket over there. I 'll work my ass off to pay u back! I'm down for anything right now.

7. JKD_Haduken

JKD_Haduken New Member

sweet!!!! Currently I am practicing kicks to the groin. I hope you don't mind. :eek:

8. Lucharaan

Lucharaan New Member

Oh wait a sec! U live in Canada! I can buy a plane ticket with $50, right? Hey if I can work for you , will you seriously pay me? I'll wash whatever u tell me too! I'll even help you out in class or something?

9. JKD_Haduken

JKD_Haduken New Member

Plane ticket for $50 bucks ??? I highly doubt it. I am currentl accepting applications for a slave.

10. Lucharaan

Lucharaan New Member

So is that a yes?

11. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Dazed & Confused

Tell you what, I'll post you a box with enough stamps on it to get to the UK.

Climb in and be quiet for a while and you'll be here.

Look after that box mind, it'll be your home for the next 5 years. :)

On a serious note, does anyone have any links for Luch with info about getting into doorwork in the U.S. I know there are places in the UK to go and get licensed, but don't know about stateside.

12. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

Damn, there are PLENTY of places in Philly ie: Clubs to work at, I know some people in maryland that go up, im sure you can check out some clubs in the yellowpages...

13. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Why should WE find YOU a job?

14. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I was about to ask the same question. I have a hard enough time finding my own.

15. 4141

4141 New Member

Where are you

Where are you in Pa. and be more detailed about what you are looking for. I might know some one.

16. Lucharaan

Lucharaan New Member

Lower Northeast in Philadelphia , along the Roosevelt Boulevard and Cottman Avenue

17. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

It's time to start taking yourself more seriously then. If you're looking for a job in martial arts, a school is highly unlikely to hire the guy that washes their windows to do anything except wash their windows. It may work in the movies. But in Philly?!

What do you train? How long have you trained it?

What do you want to do? Teach? Knowing that you want to work in martial arts is a good start. But you need to refine it beyond that. Not just offer to wash windows and hope that the rest works itself out.

It's difficult getting started, I know. But hang in there.

Stuart

18. bambeer

bambeer Whatareyoudoingrightnow

One of the best things you can do for yourself to ensure that you can work in the martial arts is to go out and get a good education. Running a dojo is not easy and the vast majority of good schools make no money. Many of the higher ranked instructors that make a living out of martial arts only are doing so after YEARS of sacrifice and working other jobs whilst running their schools.

In all seriousness, if you want make a living in the MAs you need to both study the MAs and get a solid education that will allow you to pursue your dreams.

Our dojo has a guy to do the windows and mop the mats, he/she is the first one that shows up for classes that day...noone gets paid, not even the dojocho.

Best of luck to you, its a dream many of us have....i'm still working the day job.... :cry:

bambeer :)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2005
  19. shadow joe

shadow joe seeker of truth

here's how i did it:

your windows idea is good. the best way to get 'in' is to find a school you really like that you could stay at long term. It's hard unless you have a good background, certifications, or can back up your skill to take one school's curriculum, or even Muay Thai and make money with it under someone else as an employee.

that's why you need to find a place you want to stick to. I just tried to be a good student (still trying :) ) and showed up to every single class for about a year. I had prior training, but i don't think my Sifu cared about it since it was worthless. Eventually he asked me to volunteer to teach a youth program. Then he asked me to start doing recruiting. Then one day he sat down and asked me if i'd like to get paid for it.

now it's full time. be prepared though, Martial Artists work hard!! its hard to take days off because you have to close the classes or find someone to cover for you. I work more than ten hours a day (granted half of that is training and teaching). Like right now i should be talking to academic schools or organizations, or handing out flyers, but i'm having coffee.

just be a good student, and subtlely express your interest. I'm 25 now and i volunteered for 2 plus years without pay at my current school. It's only been in the last year that I've been able to 'start' making a living. It's been meager too, as an employee you won't make nearly as much as a school owner.

you need some serious drive and motivation, but you can definitely do it. Our school has a guy who cleans the floors and windows and things. We've actually gone through like about 5 in the last year because people have a hard time being consistent. The guy who does it now doesn't get paid, but gets free lessons. My sifu has already called his name out on the "who can I hire next" list...

just be a good person and put your heart into it, if you love it, you'll make it happen.

peace,
    joe