JKD Straight Lead

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by m1k3jobs, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

There are some really foolish points being made here about what a jab is and isn't. You guys are making this forum as bad as the Ninjutsu and KS ones.

In the end who cares. you train how you see fit and forget what everyone else is doing because you are not going to change anyones mind here, certainly not with one or two line replies. Replies which do not even give an in depth analysis of how to throw a job.
    Take a read through this thread and tell me what posts could be taken out and put into a book on punching. Not one I bet.

If you are confident your arguement holds water then why not write an article?

If the pettyness continues I will lock the thread down, because the way it is now I have not learnt a thing in the last 20 posts.

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Ne'er truer words spoken!

I have an inscription on my PFS Instructors certificate which has been passed down, unaltered, from Bruce to Dan to Vu to me - I will not repeat it yet here because I would be interested to see if anyone else knows it

3. Jabby Mcgee

Jabby Mcgee Valued Member

From what I can gather, you seem to have the idea that the jab is just a quick flicky punch. It is that, of course, but it is also so much more. We did have a discussion recently highlighting the various different kinds of jabs, and the quick snappy jab is just one of them. There are a multitude of different kinds of jab, one of them being the power jab, which is what is being discussed here.

There are certainly differences between the straight lead as a stop hit and the snappy jab. However, when we talk about jabs in the sense of a power shot, there is no difference.

4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

5. Jabby Mcgee

Jabby Mcgee Valued Member

Is that by any chance the quote that states something along the lines of people should change their jkd so that it is relevant to their differing situations/needs?

6. Sheever

Sheever Valued Member

thats pretty true for the whole forum.i allways find as a waste of time to poppin up.

best words got to thanks here:

In the end who cares. you train how you see fit and forget what everyone else is doing because you are not going to change anyones mind here.

btw I ve done my 1000 reps of straight lead for today, Hannibal you do any bro?

7. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

from a strength trainig training point of view. this is stupid and will probably make your punch and the muscles involved much weaker as well as wreck the joint.
    just cos bruce lee did it, doesn't mean its right for you or even right at all.
    you guys treat JKD as a religion and bruce lee as jesus.

8. Mangosteen

doubles

9. Sheever

Sheever Valued Member

got you,yes there is more type of jabs no doubt the only difference is the boxer more squared also the more comes usually from shoulder even if they step forward,and usually not extended

10. Sheever

Sheever Valued Member

you are very wrong.its not about strength.Bruce Lee did it for reason I can see you never thought about WHY

11. Hannibal

"It's not the daily increase it's the daily decrease..."

12. Hannibal

Very, very close

It actually reads thus:

13. Sheever

Sheever Valued Member

LOL you are funny guy.thats cool, keep it this way haha

14. Mangosteen

Science proves bruce lee wrong.

15. Sheever

Sheever Valued Member

16. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Blasphemy! Science just doesn't understand Bruce Lee!

17. Mangosteen

im pretty sure hannibal will agree with me that you can practice punch mechanics until they are perfect but unless you out the hard time into resisted drills, your perfect punch mechanics wont work under pressure because you wont work under pressure. stress and performance.
    im actually writing an essay on this stuff at the moment.
    rather than doing 1000 straight leads on a bag. do 20 then try to focus on getting in straight leads during sparring or resisted drills and then you'll really be able to perform a straight lead.

18. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Obviously you have never trained boxing or have been a serious fan. Yes there is a snappy jab, Ali described it as using a whip. Now look at jabs from Foreman or Liston. They were power punches where the boxer would sit on his heels and drive his weight through the punch. He was sitting on his heels because he needed the strength of his legs and lower back to drive his body weight through the punch. There was nothing snappy about it, and yes it was extended. You don't need to step forward to generate power.

Look at a baseball swing, the step is not your power generation, it is to open the hips and allow you to drive your weight forward from your back leg. A golf swing is another example. There just aren't that many ways to generate that kind of explosive power using the human body.

19. Sheever

Sheever Valued Member

if you move forward with your weight you produce even bigger hit.especially against move against you.just like a frontal carcrash.
    but anyway...no matter really.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  20. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Do you mean the structure demonstrated in the punches by Bruce Lee in this video?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zcf-z8pUEAQ"]Bruce Lee - Karate Tournament 1967 (VinÃÂ*cius S_A_).avi - YouTube[/ame]

There is nothing in boxing that states one could not punch like the above. In fact this video that was posted in the boxing jab thread, builds off a similar structure.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmpqqsmiP70"]How to Box in HD - The Boxing Jab - YouTube[/ame]

This is different than Jack Dempsey's left jolt (straight left) because the above uses a fencing type lunge structure rather than a falling step.

In any case, there is nothing in boxing rules that disallow either the fencing type lunge "jab" punch or the fall step with jab punch. The issue is more with practicality.

Something is not practical if you can't use it. A fast punch can get away with using mostly speed (timing is not as important for the punch to hit) because if you miss, you aren't necessarily open to counter attack. As soon as you start to add in power to the punch, then it is harder to hit and if you miss, you may be leaving yourself very open to counter attack. A power lead punch takes timing to be effective, not just speed. In fact a power lead punch can appear to be slower than a normal jab, but if superior timing is used, it can be more effective than a faster lead punch that lacks the power.

Power lead punches or power jabs are just rare in a lot of boxing because they take superior timing to be practical. I would bet that the same issue comes up in JKD with any lead right with power... that they are going to be rarely used because you need superior timing to get them to work without you getting counter hit. Instead, a lot of lesser powered and fast lead hand punches might be used. IMHO.