JKD lessons?

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by BIrney29, Nov 15, 2002.

1. BIrney29

BIrney29 New Member

Hi,

it is my understanding tha JKD is not a martial art, but rather a "training method", taking bits and pieces of ohter arts that work and combining them. If this is the case, how can JKD be taught, as in classes?

Thanks

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Easy - Yes, it's a training method. A training method that can be taught :D

3. BIrney29

BIrney29 New Member

yeah but, what techniques are taught. THere can be no JKD punch, it would have to be , for example a muay thai punch. So i guess what you are taught is your instructors collection of techniques. im in no way trying to be cheeky, im just trying to understand

4. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

the punch is a punch n kick is a kick...apply JKD to it..would mean to diversify the methods of so called traditional nonsense which leads to traditional development...
    -TkdWarrior-

5. YODA

You are correct.

I teach foundation skills in all ranges - we draw primarily from the following systems (mainly because they have been found to be functional in their range & they use delivery systems that allow seemless blending between them)...

Jun Fan Gung Fu (The physical art that Bruce Lee taught to his students)
    Muay Thai
    Boxing
    Standing grappling / clinch / takedowns (From Shooto, Silat, Judo & Wrestling)
    Groundfighting (BJJ, Shooto, some Silat)
    Filipino martial arts

I posted some relevant info in this thread....

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=165

6. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

JKD is a way... which can be applied to TKD, karate or anything else for that matter...it asks u to hav the form without form, to express urself without the art, to express urself with the art...
    -TkdWarrior-

7. YODA

Nope - the whole point of JKD is to have no "WAY" as way.

There is a difference between having "No form" - and having no "Form"

8. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Ahh, mystical zen contradictions. Meaningless, yet meaningful.

9. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Jeet Kune Do however is the process of discovering our own truth in combat using Bruce Lees ideas & concepts as a guide or vehicle.

Thats one of your quotes from the other thread Yoda, so for example what processes would TKDwarrior have to do before saying he used JKD concepts?

10. BIrney29

BIrney29 New Member

jkd

if that is true, then JKD can not be taught, but must be learnt. if you know what i mean. By that definition anyone that cross trains will inadvertinately be using JKD.

11. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Don't think Yoda will agree with that one BIrney. I think your taking a over simplistic view of it there. There is a lot of principles with JKD that really you can only teach with techniques. Then again you can teach principles of why techniques work. You aren't being limited to the techniques being taught. Then there is a good foudation of styles that come with JKD. Jun Fan, Wing Chun, Mui Thai, Filipino stick, grappling. These are there to give you a good cross training section of fighting techniques.

12. YODA

Now we're getting to what exactly defines a cross training multi-range process as JKD. I believe that to call yourself a "JKD Person" that you need to have lineage to the man himself and have a good understanding of the physical art of Jun Fan Gung Fu, together with an understanding of things like the 5 ways of attack, interception, economy of motion etc. .

If not then, as good as your process may be, it is not JKD.

13. Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee New Member

Are you saying something like no form is a form or something.I don't really understand that.

14. YODA

Very hard to explain in text.

You're in Florida right?

Check out my friend Luis at www.onedragon.com - take a few classes with him. THEN you'll be in a position to begin to understand about formlessness.

15. Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee New Member

Thanks for telling me Yoda.
    Is he also in Florida?

16. YODA

Yes - that's why I suggested you check out his website.

He's at...

One Dragon Martial Arts
    9117 Taft St. Pembroke Pines, FL

954-443-4183

17. Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee New Member

Thats too far away oh well. And the closest place is tae kwon do center.

18. kazgeroth

kazgeroth New Member

hmmm

Jeet Kune Do is not even meant to have techniques, I mean yes you still need to learn how to get power into a punch, but the main concept is to learn how to express yourself and be able to adapt to any situation. If you have a set way of doing something a set move, then your not going to be able to adapt because you can only do it a single way. Jeet Kune Do is teaching you to have no style hint "have no way as way and no limitation as limitation." Your supposed to train your body to be able to react like walking, you don't think about it before you do it do you? No you just do it. SPAM me with pm's emails i don't care cause i know i'm getting you guys to think a little right? :confused: jdoherty2003@yahoo.com

Last edited: May 5, 2003
  19. YODA

Wrong :D

I've thunk enough on this already - i'd rather go train :D