JKD in West Los Angeles or the surrounding area?

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by Greetings!, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Greetings!

Greetings! Valued Member

Greetings everyone!

I am interested in doing JKD, preferably around my area, that being “the west side”, i.e. West Los Angeles and the surrounding towns. Recently doing a search on google to locate JKD classes, I see San Gabriel Valley JKD, which is very far away from me. I also see that the "IMB Academy" offers JKD classes. However, IMB Academy is in Carson, CA, which is also too far away for me.

I only found one place in the west side area that has JKD, that being at UCLA. However, even UCLA is probably 10 miles or so from my home in Marina del Rey.

Thus, other than UCLA, do I have any other options for JKD? For instance, does anyone know of any JKD in, let's say, the towns of Santa Monica, Venice, Culver City, West Los Angeles, etc. or somewhere nearby?

Thank you very much.

The best to all,
    Greetings!

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

This. It is THE place to train JKD. It would almost be an insult to train else where :p

axelb likes this.
  4. Greetings!

Greetings! Valued Member

Dear Hannibal and Pretty In Pink,

Thank you very much for getting back to me. Of course, Dan Inosanto is a highly recognized and revered martial artist, in real-life application, as well as on the big movie screen. With complete admiration, I actually once visited Dan Inosanto’s Academy, probably about 10 years ago, and observed firsthand the smorgasbord of several different martial arts styles offered by his academy at the time. I even briefly popped my head in to see him teaching a class on Filipino knife. Yes. He is awesome.

However, now when I go to Dan Inosanto’s Academy website, it doesn’t seem like they offer a weekly schedule of various kinds of classes like they used to. Instead, the website seems to convey only, for instance, Dan Insosanto’s seminar schedule, that is, for his local seminars hosted at the Academy, as well as his seminar schedule on the road. Also, I don’t seem to see anywhere within Dan’s various seminar write-ups any mention of Jeet Kune Do.

Therefore, unless I am misunderstanding something, unfortunately, as I have conveyed above, I think that pretty much rules out for me the possibility of learning JKD from Dan Inosanto’s Academy, and I should therefore look for other options for learning JKD.

Am I missing something here? Am I overlooking something?

Thank you very much everyone.

The best to all,
    Greetings!

5. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

6. Greetings!

Greetings! Valued Member

Greetings Deadpool,

I greatly appreciate you providing to me the link to the actual Class Schedule at Inosanto Academy. I am beside myself as to why I wasn't able to locate this myself originally.

Going to the link you kindly provided to me for this class schedule, just as I previously recall from 10 years ago, I observe that the Academy offers a plethora of different kinds of classes. I notice that Beginner's JKD meets only 3 classes per week. If I recall from 10 years ago, in regard to monthly dues, I would be required to pay the one relatively large sum of money which would entitle me to attend every single class, there being 31 different kinds of classes each week, even if I was only interested in attending just 1 class per week.

I just now sent an email to the Academy, politely explaining to them that I only want to take the Beginner JKD 3 classes per week, and absolutely no other class. I then continued to ask them within my email, therefore, what would my monthly dues be? I am hoping that I would be charged a substantially smaller fee just to attend Beginner JKD, rather than paying the relatively larger fee for the entitlement to attend all 31 classes.

However, I am not being too optimistic about this. That being said, I think that I may still need to continue my search on the Westside for relatively less expensive JKD classes.

Thus, if anyone knows of other options for me to learn JKD, please let me know. I would greatly appreciate other ideas.

Thank you very much.

Take good care everyone,
    Greetings!

Pretty In Pink likes this.
  7. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

If they don't have a beginner student rate, or the tuition is too expensive, no doubt they can point you in the right direction.

8. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Every knows the price but not everyone knows the value

axelb and Dead_pool like this.