JKD and weight training

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by DrunkenMasterBE, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

you must be from some serious pedigree if you can do either of the workouts from starting strength with weights heavy enough to trigger strength improvement in 15 minutes and if this does turn out to be the case you really don't need our advice because your a freak of nature ....

2. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

dude seriously go and squat then bench some decent weight for 3x5, then deadlift 1x5 and come back and laugh at how ridiculous you sound. I'm not trying to be mean but you clearly have never done serious barbell training, its not too short, its hard and it works.

EDIT: the 50 minutes thing wasn't an exact time frame just how long on average it took me to do the workouts from SS, there is no exact time frame strength training isn't a race go and do the workout take as long as you need, I guarantee it will be more than 20 minutes.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  3. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

read the wiki.
    dont add other exercises

this program is 35 to 45 reps in work sets (not including warm ups)
    there are AT LEAST 2 minutes of rest in between sets.

i am doing a program now that is 60 work reps each day and it takes 1.5 to 2 hours to complete with warm ups.

4. DrunkenMasterBE

DrunkenMasterBE Valued Member

i really dont like waiting long between sets will 2 min be enough?

5. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

only you will be able to tell how much time you need to take to recover between sets and you wont find out till you go and lift, seems like a case of Paralysis by Analysis here.

6. Mangosteen

squat over body weight for a set of 5 and you will realise that you dont feel eager to/dont like taking less than 3 minutes between sets.

just do the program - all your questions are answered on that site's FAQ

7. Nolan Froese

Nolan Froese Valued Member

Here is the best advice you'll ever get so read it carefully.

More isn't better. Focus on the biggest lifts to give you more strength. Don't worry about more working more lifts worry about lifting more weights.

Do I 5rm test for each lift. How many reps you can do five times. Start out working with 75percent or 80 percent of this in your work sets. For SS, the first three weeks you don't need the power clean. Then add then rotate the dead-lift with the power-clean with five sets of three. After two or three months or when your overhead press and bench plateaus add in pull-ups at 4 sets of as AMRAP (many reps as possible). Once you start plateauing on SS keep on the program but do sets of three on all the lifts except for dead-lift. With the dead-lift add an extra set with lower weight. Try to do it double overhead. Note that you need to try to avoid failure. Once you start hitting failure in about six months to a year you need a new program. After this is done, you'll be strong as hell, but you might notice you'll be a little slow. This is OK, but you need to go on a program that works power and speed in conjunction with strength after SS if your primary objective is martial arts.

Pick up a copy of starting strength. Not to be stark, but it sounds like you know nothing about strength & conditioning. You're bound to mess something up if you can't properly squat/dl. In addition, get minimalistic shoes instead of weight lifting shoes, and get the 1.1lb plates these are mandatory items to own for SS.

I'd recommend gaining some weight on SS, but don't pig out too much. Martial arts is your main objective. Drink a half gallon of whole milk a day and see where that gets you.

This is the SS program in short.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2014
  8. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

Pretty vague, how many times a week you planning on lifting? what other training are you doing?

Swap upright rows for bent over rows, put power clean and front squat before Deadlifts instead of back squat.

Plan some form of progression, otherwise you've got a lot of wheel spinning.

Starting strength would be worth a read.

9. seiken steve

Really? Even for heavy singles, I only change the plates, take a slurp of water, look at the behinds of nearby figure athletes and duck back under.

Sure oly lifts need 100000 years otherwise my form is shocking but otherwise yeah. Plus, it's pretty shocking anyway :p

10. Mangosteen

yeah my rest is just waiting for my training partner to finish his set and changing plates (about a minute)

but he's a noob who cant read/refuses to read starting strength.

11. seiken steve

Ah, me and training partner warm up together, then I do work sets, she spots me, she does work sets I spot her, next exercise repeat. I generally bust some push ups, head stands and frogstands while she's doing her stuff (when not sporting obvs) to keep warm/not bored. Since we stopped using a public gym we rarely train more than 45 mins. That's with 10-13 work sets on main lifts plu 2 accessories.

That said when I oly lift 1-2 hours is the standard. The coach I learned with had us in for 2.5-3 quite often.

Anyway OP, I would recommend a gym membership and starting strength.