JJ and Karate

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by JamesR, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Given your dislike of kata and desire for something that will work in reality then a hard knockdown style of karate will probably suit you better than a more traditional shotokan or wado based club.

2. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

what Smithy said basically^^^^

3. UechiWillam

UechiWillam Valued Member

If you have all your self defense needs already covered, why cross train? What's your motivation for cross training? For example:
    I cross-train in BJJ to develop my grappling skills.
    I cross-train in Wing Chun because it compliments my Uechi-Ryu.
    I cross-trained in Capoeira for the athleticism.
    I'd like to cross-train in Krav Maga to develop some modern weapon defense.
    I'd like to cross-train in Filipino Knife Fighting for the confidence to defend against bladed weapons
    I'd like to cross-train in the Northern Kung Fu systems for the cultural knowledge and athleticism.
    Ect. . ect. . ect. . .

4. JamesR

JamesR Valued Member

My motivation is you can learn something from every art out there? I boxed for 2 years, have been doing JJJ for 9 months and would like to do another striking type style alongside it?

I think I will go with Kickboxing tbh

5. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

good idea :cool:

6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Fixed that for you there.

7. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

wait why is frodo your mom?

8. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Depending on where you are in Liverpool Widnes might be close enough to travel. I believe there is a Kudo dojo there. If you haven't heard of it before just type it in on youtube and see what comes up. It would work very well as a striking style to go with your JJJ.

Mitch

9. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Er erm er I hope she's not or else I'll really need to see a psychoanalyst.

10. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I can confirm that I am definitely not Dean's mum. However, I suspect he still needs to see a psychoanalyst though!

11. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I don't consider my non-knockdown karate training to be "fantasy based" or some other qualifier that suggests I'm detached from reality.

12. JamesR

JamesR Valued Member

I don't mind katas, they have there purpose but when there is a heavy emphasis on them, I don't like it.

13. Dean Winchester

What do you think their purpose is?

14. JamesR

JamesR Valued Member

Do you constantly look to prove people wrong?

I believe they are to drill certain movements into you such as blocks, strikes etc? You are going through the motions as if there was a person there, I do it when I have no one to practice on at home.

15. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Sorry JamesR, my mistake, the dojo I'm thinking of is in Warrington, not Widnes. Here's the link.

Mitch

16. JamesR

JamesR Valued Member

Dad works up there but it's a bit far to be travelling there and back, thanks though :)

17. Dean Winchester

No actually it's just you. I've obviously commenced a stalker campaign against you and have now made it my life mission to show you what utter tosh you are training it. :rolleyes:

Get over yourself. :bang:

You've stated that you didn't like the heavy emphasis of kata, you've then said they serve a purpose and so I was wondering what you thought the purpose of kata was, that's all.

Thank you, not so hard was it?

I'll let the Karate guys and gals pick you up on that if they feel the need, personally I think there's a bit more than just that but hey :D

No point in you being turned off an art due to it having kata if you were/are working on a misunderstanding of them, is there?

Hence my question.

Now please install Thick Skin 2.1 with the Pinch of Salt mod and I'm sure you'll find your MAP experience much more enjoyable.

ps not all kata are solo. :p

18. JamesR

JamesR Valued Member

Just the way you keep saying things like that? Not my fault that's how you come across is it? Just seems like you take pleasure in proving people wrong?

But I guess you don't and it's just me. Now please install go away and let this thread die 2.2 with "Right now" mod and I'm sure we will both be happier.

19. Dean Winchester

So are you saying I have proven you wrong at some point.........??

:D :D

20. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

OK, the guy's asked his question and got his answers. In fairness, most karate clubs do just train kata as a solo drill of basic guards and strikes. Paired kata is usually replaced by partner drills in most clubs that I know of.

JamesR, I'm going to leave this thread open so people can discuss any of the matters arising, but if you've got what you want out of it (or are just sick of it) there's no obligation on you to keep following the thread.