JJ and Karate

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by JamesR, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

2. JamesR

JamesR Valued Member

I have been there, didn't like it very much tbh

3. Killa_Gorillas

pourquoi?

I've rolled with a guy from there a few times... he's very, very good.

4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Damn kaobon have some fighters. Go there and get Paul Sass to teach you how to triangle!!

5. Wastelander

Wastelander Valued Member

From the sounds of your posts, you won't like most traditional karate because you apparently don't believe in the use of kata. Since you are training for self defense and have no interest in kata, you are best off sticking to competitive fighting arts (Muay Thai, Kyokushin (at a dojo where they don't do much kata), BJJ, Judo, etc.) or some reality-based self defense (RSBD) seminars/classes to supplement your current training.

ETA: Not being impressed by a well respected gym that is known to turn out good, professional fighters tends to make me question your ability to judge a martial art. You haven't been training very long and you have been doing it with only experience in that style and in boxing, and you know better than a gym that has turned out professional fighters?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  6. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

The luta livre coach is brilliant.

7. JamesR

JamesR Valued Member

The class was filled with thuggish looking people, meatheads, people covered in tattoos etc

I'm sure the instruction is excellent, but it's just not for me.

I have learnt one kata at white belt, that's it, and it was similar to this:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwS1JCP0uTQ"]Human Weapon - Krav Maga - 360 Defense - YouTube[/ame]

8. Killa_Gorillas

Who better to prepare you for the m34n Str33tz? ;)

9. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

did you even TALK to them, or do you judge everyone on external appearance?

10. JamesR

JamesR Valued Member

Yes I spoke to a few of them, who replied with short snappy answers like "Been here 6 months" - "Yeah" - "No I haven't" and just seemed like unfriendly people on the whole.

Is it possible to ask a question on this site without if going off into a load of crap :S

11. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

No. And that's the way we like it! :)

12. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

OI! Shorty!

Who said the likes of you could post here?

Pfft what could you offer :rolleyes:

:D

13. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I DID... :yeleyes:

14. JamesR

JamesR Valued Member

All I wanted to know, was if any styles of Karate would supplement my training in Ju Jitsu well.

And all this has followed? it's just strange.

15. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

your mom

16. Dean Winchester

Don't you bat your Ninja eyes at me little Miss!

I'll ban you from your cake allowance.

17. Dean Winchester

Possible.......she's only four foot eleven.

18. Wastelander

Wastelander Valued Member

That is what happens in open forums--questions evolve into discussions which often branch off into various topics that are related to but separate from the original question. Also, questions like yours are going to be answered with more questions, as you have seen in this thread, because you did not provide enough information for us to give you a useful answer.

The short answer, yes, some styles of karate would supplement your Jujutsu training well. Which ones? Depends. That's why this thread has evolved.

From what you have said so far, I stick by my recommendation of finding a combat sport art. If you are wanting karate, find Kyokushin or an offshoot like Ashihara, Enshin or Daido Juku

19. Killa_Gorillas

you'll probably only gel with knockdown from what you've said, scout about in your area and see for yourself if it fits with what you are learning.

Also check out some BJJ and/or Judo.

20. JamesR

JamesR Valued Member

"You'll probably only gel with knockdown"

huh?