Jikoshokai [Self-introduction]

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Koryu Uchinadi, Dec 30, 2007.

1. jorvik

jorvik Valued Member

I think that kata developed as a good tool to impart knowledge, but only as a tool and not an art in itself. Without the knowledge of how to use the tool the tool becomes useless. I speak from my own experiences in various arts, the best example ( that I have studied) would be Tai-Chi, where it is very hard to find somebody who knows the applications of the form, and even harder to find somebody who can use them well...and also the form doesn't look like the fighting system..........I used to think that this was just a Tai-Chi problem but now I realise that this is the case with a great many styles and systems. The Chinese can be very secretive about what they teach and to whom....and in China now you can see the same thing with the Shao lin temple...people marching up and down in lines :bang:

I have a very romantic viewpoint of what Okinawa was, a sort of rural agricultural backwater, peaceful and quiet............. and a library and repository for some high powered Chinese martial arts knowledge.

Pat I think what you do is great......I love your approach and if you weren't a couple of thousand miles away I'd look you up for lessons :D

2. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

Greetings Mr McCarthy,

Im a Brown belt Shotokan (Shindo Karate Assoc) student from South Australia and hopefully i will be able to attend future seminars for KU here in S.A.
    I post on the OzBudo Forum with the name kam, which are my initials, my name is Ken Moffat.
    Unfortunately i am unable to attend this weekends seminar (14/3)with J.Griffiths but i will definately be at the next one.

Welcome to MAP sir
    Regards
    Ken Moffat

3. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

Thats what I was thinking.

Osu, Koryu-sensei.

*bows*

4. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Sincere welcome to MAP. Are you the same gentleman who was involved in Terry O'neils fighting arts mag?

5. Koryu Uchinadi

Koryu Uchinadi Valued Member

Hi Ken san,

Nice to meet you and please give my best to Renshi Jason Griffiths at the KU seminar in SA. He's one of our very best.

Look forward to working with someday.

Have a great weekend. :bow1:

6. jorvik

jorvik Valued Member

Hi Pat
    One of the things that I really don't like about Okinawan arts is that they seem to have altered their distancing. If you look at any Uechi practitioners, they seem to be fighting like Wado or Shotokan guys.instead of using closer in techniques they seem to have changed to long range sports orientated moves, I've noticed this in Goju as well, Goju people training with shotokan guys to get Good "Basics".trouble is they are good Shotokan basics.......I think that for these arts to be better they need to get closer in....I think the typical karate attack from 20 feet away with your hands on your hips is totally absurd.bit like the Mony Python sketch were they train to defeat a Bannana weilding opponent

7. 7heTexanRebel

7heTexanRebel Valid Member

Welcome to MAP.
    It's great to have you!

8. Koryu Uchinadi

Anytime impact-based fighters engage each other in "rule-bound fighting" [i.e., competition] you'll find this 'distance' issue; it's just the nature of the outcomes sought, and it's not just limited to Okinawan/Japanese karate but also Korean TKD and or any other traditions where kicking and punching represent the principal tools of impact. Eliminate or change the "rules" and so too will the distancing issue change...IMO.

9. jorvik

jorvik Valued Member

Yeah
    What I mean to say is that Uechi folks ( especially) say that they do a close in fighting system, yet when you see them doing competion, it's all from the same tournament range that you get in Japanese karate e.g. Shotokan.....not that this is a bad thing particularly, but IMHO it's not what their system was intended for, and so they have what one of my friends calls a "classical disconnect". The thing that their system was designed for i.e. close in fighting is not practised, instead they do a sport version, which is ok............but they lose something
    then you get folks like this guy
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TairaBunkai

now I really like what he does.but it's not Goju.......I guess it's a vanilla flavour southern Kung fu style..but he is darn good...now when you see the Chinese styles, they seem to follow pretty much the same approach but don't seem as tied down by tradition.
    I really love this stuff
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0wRqR9J8WA&feature=PlayList&p=F8A8ACEB2EF9ED45&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=40"]YouTube[/ame]

It's got a bit more Chilli sauce IMHO

As the sufi's say.take the meat and let the dog's fight for the bones

10. Koryu Uchinadi

I don't disagree with your observations, only the context. Personally, I also engage in training that is much more like the examples illustrated of Masaji Taira & Henry Sue than the competitive kumite you've described. That said, I repeat my previous point that I'm not sure you're understanding; It doesn't much matter what "style" you are if and when called to "compete" in a rule-bound contest which only gives points for darting in and out with punches and kicks, and penalizing opponents for seizing each other, etc.

Also, the [Taira/Sue] drills you exampled were "prearranged" and not "free fighting." You should confuse the two with "real fighting."

11. jorvik

jorvik Valued Member

I agree with you about rule-bound competions. What I am saying is that rules will favour the styles they are designed for and if you want to enter these types of competition and field teams that can win then ultimately it will affect your style.....to me a style means a "preferance" that favours certain techniques over others.
    Now as an example If you are a wing chun stylist and you enter Taekwondo tournements then , if you want to be good at the tournements your wing-chun will be used for something that it wasn't designed for , and you will either consistently lose or your wing-chun will change to enable you to compete.

12. Koryu Uchinadi

13. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Its all fighting, if you're a good martial artist you should be able to hold your own, at any range with any ruleset, regardless of your 'style' :cool:

14. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Welcome to MAP, you seem like a welcome addition:)

15. jorvik

jorvik Valued Member

" if you're a good martial artist you should be able to hold your own, at any range with any ruleset, regardless of your 'style' "

Bollocks,...if you are a good martial artist ( no sorry !! I think the term is a bit redundant ).if you are a good "fighter" then you take the fight to where "YOU" want it to be.you don't have to be good at every range .just at the range that you are comfortable with..and thatT's where you go:rolleyes:

OK
    You don't understand:eek:.............Gee .another Icon bites the dust:jawdrop:

16. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

How can you say another Icon bites the dust Jorvik?, nonsense..

Are you saying you can dominate the range against all fighters? good luck with that :)

17. ArthurKing

ArthurKing Valued Member

Croeso/Failte/Welcome
    Wow, Patrick McCarthy...
    I'm a big fan of your work and some of your new projects sound very interesting.
    I enjoyed your Bubishi a lot and hope to be able invest in some more of your work soon. I like your pragmatic approach to the arts and am very interested in the history/lineage of karate, particularly the Whooping Crane and Shaolin Long Fist connections mentioned in the Bubishi.
    Some times these threads can go off at a bit of a tangent, you'll get used to it!

18. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Wow, nice attitude.

OK, the context was in terms of competition, saying someone who did something like Wing Chun would get 'affected' by doing TKD competitions. Surely it would be healthy for them? Put them in a difficult situation and forced them to grow and adapt? Then with training they might be good at trapping range AND kicking range?

Because unfortunately in the real world you CAN'T always expect to dictate at which range the fight will go. Its therefore sensible to be able to hold your own at any range. I stand by that, its common sense.

Remember, styles should be for growth, not for limiting your options :)

19. markjandrews

markjandrews New Member

Mark Andrews [Self-introduction]

Name & location
    Mark J. Andrews in Omaha, NE USA

Training: Styles & rank
    5th kyu - Danzan Ryu Jujitsu (Do Chikara Ju Kawa, Jujitu America, 1998)
    3rd kyu - Aikikai Aikido (Aikido of Monterey, California Aikido Association, 2002)

Study: No rank
    6 months study of Enshin Itto lyyu Batto Jutsu (Seibukan Dojo, Monterey, CA)
    12 months study of Suio Ryu Iai Kenpo (SRIK USA Shibu, Omaha, NE)
    Occasional training in KoKoDo Jujitsu (Yosokan Dojo, Monterey, CA)
    Occasional training in Tikan (nee Jikishin) Jujitsu (S/SW YMCA, Omaha, NE)

Other info
    I'm a librarian but I work in IT. The most interesting job I've had is serving as the IT manager for a mental health agency. My wife & I are foster & adoptive parents.

Motivation for training
    I turn 49 this year and I'd like to grade up to a 1st black belt by my 60th birthday, and then start to teach. To get to that point, I am taking a slow, deliberate approach to diet & exercise; it's easier to train at 200 lbs than it is at 246 lbs, so I've got to fix that first.

Impressions of martial arts practice & teaching in Omaha, NE
    Teaching & practice in Omaha are not as deep as I found on the Left Coast.

In 4 years I've found two very good teachers here, but I'd like to think there are more than just two. I'm open to suggestions about quality instruction in this geographic area.

Motto
    Mouth shut, ears open.

20. jorvik

jorvik Valued Member

How can you say another Icon bites the dust Jorvik?, nonsense..
    it's not rocket science ( even though I hate the terminology)..what I said was simple stuff, fact is I don't know how I can make it simpler, frankly if you don't get it then I am disapointed.and you lose your Iconic status

"Wow, nice attitude.".........................gee thanx :hat:

"OK, the context was in terms of competition, saying someone who did something like Wing Chun would get 'affected' by doing TKD competitions. Surely it would be healthy for them? Put them in a difficult situation and forced them to grow and adapt? Then with training they might be good at trapping range AND kicking range?"
    No the context wasn't about Competition it was about fighting and violence..............and how certain styles have lost this ability in favour of sport and you seem happy with that ..so have a good day and enjoy what you do:)