Jikoshokai [Self-introduction]

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Koryu Uchinadi, Dec 30, 2007.

1. Koryu Uchinadi

Koryu Uchinadi Valued Member

Hi folks,

Just wanted to take a moment to introduce myself and wish you all a happy holiday season.

Who am I?
    My name is Patrick McCarthy. I am a Canadian [Vancouver] now in living in Australia [Brisbane] after a decade of residing in Japan [Yokohama].
    MA Style?
    I am predominately an Okinawan-based Karate & Yamane Ryu Kobudo stylist [who has personalized my experience under the name Koryu Uchinadi Kenpo-jutsu] with a background in jujutsu [Small Circle--Wally Jay, Daito Ryu--Richard Kim, TSKSR---Sugino Yoshio] kakutogi [UWFI Takada Nobuhiko] and swordsmanship [TSKSR---Sugino Yoshio & Muso Shinden Eishin Ryu & Seite Iaido---Izawa Takehiko]. I also enjoy Western swordmanship although I am not a student of a specific style.
    Grade?
    Hanshi 8th Dan under Kinjo Hiroshi:
    http://www.koryu-uchinadi.com/bio_kinjo_hiroshi.htm
    http://www.koryu-uchinadi.com/kinjo_hiroshi.htm
    Occupation?
    I am the director of the International Ryukyu Karate Research Society

Thanks for having me on board and Happy New Year to all. :)

Last edited: Dec 30, 2007
  2. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Impressive resume
    I like the link 'Having never wrestled a bear'
    Welcome to MAP

3. gorinnosho

gorinnosho Kendo Addict

osu, good to have you aboard.

4. soyez efficaces

soyez efficaces Valued Member

Mr McCarthy

I remember reading a few articles about you and from you in a budo mag downunder years ago. Good to see MAP has attracted someone of your knowedge here :)

Paul

5. Koryu Uchinadi

Gorinnosho, Martial Dad, Paul san,

Thanks for the warm welcome... just taking my time and reading through the various threads. I like what's going on here -- nice friendly environment.

Cheers

6. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Your reputation certainly precedes you , welcome.

7. gorinnosho

gorinnosho Kendo Addict

i'd second that.

8. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

Very nice to see you over here. I've enjoyed your books for years. For bringing us the translations of Bubushi and Choki Motobu's book alone, your place in the Martial Arts world should be permanantly secured. I've also found your theories on Habitual Acts of Physical Violence as a guide to interpreting kata both useful and facinating.

9. Koryu Uchinadi

Dear DAnjo san,

Thank you for the very warm welcome. Much appreciated.

I am in the process of some new work which I hope you'll like, too;

#1. A Companion to the Bubishi with which to better study its kata [Happoren, Neipai, Rakanken, etc.] practice the two-person 48 posture drills, attack anatomically vulnerable targets, and learn the escape and counter techniques.

#2. Yamane Ryu Kobudo
    #3. My own translation of Taira Shinken's 1964 Encyclopedia of Kobudo to replace the unacceptable version Tuttle published!
    #4. A training manual for our style.
    #5. A series of educational DVD's to culminate impact-based techniques, the effective reception of impact-based techniques, and escapes and counters to the HAPV.

Cheers

10. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

Well, I guess I'll be keeping my eye on your website then. Thanks for the heads up.

Kind Regards,

Dan Weston

11. Koryu Uchinadi

Thanks Dan

Have a great day.

12. gorinnosho

gorinnosho Kendo Addict

my sensei, peter weatherspoon, sends his regards.

and again, welcome.

13. Koryu Uchinadi

Thanking you and sending my regards to Peter.

14. jorvik

jorvik Valued Member

Hi Pat
    Nice to see you here. I love your stuff, especially this
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9-OlSjoJ4M"]YouTube[/ame]

I'm looking forward to some interesting and stimulating conversations about Okinawan Budo

15. Koryu Uchinadi

Hi Jorvik,

Happy to be here and glad to learn that you like our drills -- lots more where that came from :)

Have a great weekend.

16. jorvik

jorvik Valued Member

Yeah I do like it :D .and the reason is that it makes the karate spontaneous, makes it look more like keysi or a type of kickboxing but without taking anything away from the karate. I think karate people get a little too rigid in their approach, they think that the moves from kata are set in stone or handed down from God.and the changes that they do make to the katas tend to be for the worst and not the better, also they have very little to do with application or with sparring....with this drill I think you've bridged that gap.

17. gorinnosho

gorinnosho Kendo Addict

i agree but not totally, i like the drills, karate does get repetitive, rigid and boring sometimes, and the kata, i can't really comment on, i just like everything about those drill, they're wicked.

18. jorvik

jorvik Valued Member

Yeah what I meant was I'd do more karate if it was more like that :D

19. gorinnosho

gorinnosho Kendo Addict

heehee i'm agreeing with you, i'd like to learn it sometime

20. Koryu Uchinadi

Thanks for your encouraging observation Jorvik.

When Kata was taken out from behind the closed doors of secrecy, modified, and introduced into the public domain the art was lost. No longer were the ‘secrets’ delivered through meticulous hands-on personal instruction from master to disciple. Soldier-like trainers commanding large groups of students in schoolyard assembly formations replaced personal instruction by a master. Kata were reduced to aerobic-like exercises and mindless repetitions to the count of whistle blowing exemplified the emphasis placed upon physical fitness during Japan’s radical era of military escalation.

Although things are far more liberal these days, and learners are questioning much, 3K- [Kihon/Kata/Kumite] style training still dominates the tradition. I adopted an outcomes-orientated structure and worked backwards from that to reconfigure training drills. See more here http://www.koryu-uchinadi.com/ku_core_practices.htm