Jikishin or shorinji jujitsu?

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by Elitistjester73, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Not really.

A lot of those commenting on the thread actually practice Jujutsu in one form or another.

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Well aint we all the jujutsu Elitests.........

3. Dead_pool

True dat, Ive done pretend jujutsu, actual jujutsu, Judo and BJJ, 3 out of the list were great stuff.

4. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

I still practice modern (i.e. bastardised) jujutsu, so you're hardly alone in enjoying this type of art. Don't let the arguments worry you, as long as you enjoy training and are developing the right skills, relax and have fun :)

5. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Its an internet forum..

As Aegis says do your thing and let each to their own .

Smurf :Aegis:

6. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Don't worry. I'm sure BJJ will find its feet one day.

7. Dead_pool

Itll never be as good as Junsei Ryu my friend, now where did i put my manga training manuels?

8. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I teach a bastardised JJ system that is a composite of bits I have done over the years - I just don't stick a hakama on and claim it was used by Samurai

9. Jumonkan

Jumonkan Valued Member

Wow

The thread took off fast. Elitejester I would suggest you research a little more on Judo. Judoka became famous by defeating Jujutsuka. I asked about it only because it's become a fade it seems to put Shorinji in school names or system names like Aikijutsu, Aikijujutsu, Aiki jujutsu and Aikijitsu here in the states. Just wondered if that was the case and it seems it is. I would say just go and try it and be open. No system is the end all be all just understand it's limitations and find something you like and your good at then do it. Utility is actually, I've found, a very small part of the equation for most people and not always the most important.

10. Kuniku

Kuniku The Hairy Jujutsuka

The good thing about this forum in particular is for the most part it remains a civilised and sensible discussion forum.

Most other forums I frequent would already have fallen into swearing and Blinding and everyone informing each other of their mothers social habits along with personal threats ;op

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2013
  11. Alansmurf

Thats cause we are old ......:evil:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2013
  12. Kuniku

I appreciate that they are valid points to question - my point was that they've been questioned plenty of times before and its getting repetative ;op

and my 'arguement' (as flawed as it may be) would be that if he wasn't taught Jujitsu, why call it jujitsu, what he brought back is certainly a lot like jujitsu in a way that has been modernised - we might not do quite the same etiquette stuff - but the throwing and locking techniques are largely the same ones you see in other Jujitsu syllabi, a hip throw is a hip throw in my book.

I greatly enjoy the Art I study, I'm not saying it is the perfect Art (were such a thing to exist) It has proved effective for me and others who train within my dojo in real self defense situations. I'm just getting bored of having to 'defend' it every time it is mentioned, particularly to the same one or two people.

13. Kuniku

I think I'd go with 'experienced'

14. Alansmurf

Old and experienced it is then

15. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

Just stop "defending" it then. People will think what they want, regardless of any "defence" made. That is partly why it is important to try out arts, rather than just take others word on it.

16. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

At least you acknowledge that your argument is flawed. :D

You made the point that this has been questioned plenty of times well maybe there is a reason for that.

Seriously though, folks stretch the truth all the time in the martial arts. However, if you are ok with the lack of answers/information and are willing to accept what you are told (or not told) by your instructors then that is your perogative.

I'm glad you enjoy your training and that is certainly important. Again this discussion is not about the effectiveness of what you are training in.

I'm honestly not looking for you to "defend" anything; however if you don't want to discuss it anymore that's fine too.