Jikishin or shorinji jujitsu?

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by Elitistjester73, Mar 15, 2013.

1. puma

puma Valued Member

2. Kuniku

Kuniku The Hairy Jujutsuka

If you read on it explains what it means by modern style of jujitsu.

Which I imagine is the same thing any modern school means by it.

This is basically heading down the lineage route again which is something we've covered numerous times and I'm fairly certain there's no more to dig up - my point in this thread is that the syllabus works just fine, I've used it myself in self defence situations this year to great effect as proof of that.

3. puma

puma Valued Member

Sorry, didn't see the earlier link

4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

So are we going by a scrict defintion of "break" here?
    Because I would still call severe ligament damage or joint dislocation a "break" even if no bones were actually broken.
    For example...seperate the knee and/or ankle with a heel hook and I'm sure most people would colloquially say you "broke" their leg. :)
    Most people would say Ronda Rousey "broke" Meisha Tate's arm (I think it was her).

5. puma

puma Valued Member

Doesn't look very effective to me.

6. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

If you have to navigate through 3 pages to find the word modern, that's hardly upfront.

7. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

That's just it.

For it to be a "modern style of jujitsu", wouldn't it have to be based on a traditional style of jujutsu?

This is why we keep heading down the lineage route and why IMO it is misleading.

The fact that the syllabus or techniques may work (or not) has nothing to do with it. To bring that up as a response to the question is simply disingenuous.

EDIT: It would be better if they simply said we train in a mix of judo, karate and aikido with some disparate weapons training.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  8. Kuniku

I also never claimed the website was any good =p

9. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

While I think the site is off here and there in fairness to them the information does try and lead you in a logical manner from the "background" of the art to what it is today.

It doesn't come across as being deliberately misleading, certainly not like other sites and orbs.

Inaccuracies in the system seem to be due to ignorance rather than malice.

10. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

Ok so they are better than some of the BJJA sites. :evil:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  11. Kuniku

Actually the syllabus was the original point I made as that is what Fusen seemed to question, everyone else once more delved into the lineage aspect of things.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to know the actual lineage, but we've gone down that route and can't prove anything.

The way I see it, its been around for a long time and they wouldn't have called it Jujitsu at the time if it wasn't based off of Jujitsu.

I think the problem is that the front page is a bit vague, so you go to 'about jujitsu' and it first tells you roughly what jujitsu IS and then goes on to say what we do.

are you mixing the WJJF and BJJA there? ;op off the top of my head I can't remember the ins and outs of our 'history' with the WJJF, only with the BJJA - who we're no longer a part of

12. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Kuniku - Coming from a jujutsu angle - its looks like a mix of things without a defined point, no overall principles or aim.

Coming from a Judo angle, its throws and gripwork are poor.
    Coming from a BJJ angle its ground work is poor

poor can still work, especially when your close to 100kg, but its very sub optimal.

13. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

I apologize and yes I meant the BJJA there.

People make misleading comments and claims about martial arts all the time whether it was intentional or not.

Like Dean said some in this case might be through ignorance but it still doesn't make things correct or true.

Personally I feel it's a red flag when someone cannot talk intelligently about their martial arts lineage especially if claims have been made.

14. Kuniku

I just feel on a personal level, that it is always my MA being attacked, I rarely see anyone else get picked up on it, and I've done the work, put the effort in to find out as much as I can, for myself and you guys, and yet still get slated.

During my research I found many sites bringing up Proffessor Clarkes Money Side of the WJJF, but conversely I don't recall seeing anybody disparaging what was taught, just his way of running the WJJF, lots of people praised his Jujitsu while slating his managerial skills.

15. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Heel hook will break your ankle. If you've sprained your ankle do you tell people you broke it? :confused:

16. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

We pick on plenty of other martial arts. :D

Seriously though, please don't take this as a personal attack and I respect the fact that you are here discussing things and that you have put so much effort into trying to find out more information.

17. Kuniku

I think its because everytime Jikishin and BJJA are brought up, its the same slating. All because nobody seems to know what art Prof Blundell was originally taught >_<

The first time it was all fine, I did the homework and got the answers I could, now its just getting tedious repeating myself =p

18. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

I think it goes beyond just not knowing Mr Blundell's background but if it suits you and there's no lies and such then don't fret.

19. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

But that's the point. You truly do not see a problem with the fact that "nobody seems to know what art Prof Blundell was originally taught"?!

No one also seems to know anything about the "Master Kim" that he trained under in Singapore. For all you know he may not even have learned a Japanese martial art and/or the teacher may not have existed.

These are valid things to question and again they are not meant as personal attacks against you.

20. Elitistjester73

Elitistjester73 Valued Member

Is it me or are there a lot of Jujitsu haters out there? I wish I hadn't started this thread!