Jhoon Rhee TKD Chun do Kwon

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Jepha, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Jepha

Jepha New Member

I'm new to MAP and very excited to find this forum. I've been training in TKD for 2 years now and consume everything about it. I study under Mr. Rob Baker. Jhoon Rhee is at the top of our family tree. Our tree breaks down as follows:

Jhoon Rhee - Allen Stein - Pat Burlson - Steve Stavernof - Larry Whitner - Rob Baker.

My question is, dose anyone else have Jhoon Rhee in there family tree and is anyone a practitioner of the Chun do kwon style?

Thank you,
    Jepha

2. miles

miles Valued Member

I do not have GM Rhee in my lineage, but I am a Chung Do Kwan member.

3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

WElcome to MAP.

4. Lad_Gorg

Lad_Gorg Valued Member

I also have a Chung Do Kwan background, but our lineage can be traced to GM Hyun Ok Shin. Actually the school is run directly under him, he still performs all the grading's himself despite living in another country.

5. Jepha

Jepha New Member

Thanks for showing me the correct spelling of Chung Do Kwan. We talk about things in class but I never really see the spellings.

6. Spookey

Spookey Valued Member

Lineage

Welcome to MAP,

More specifically, I have an Oh Do Kwan lineage, but since GGM Nam, Tae Hi is in my tree I cannot exclude a portion of my lineage being Chung Do Kwan.

TAEKWON!
    Spooks

7. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Someone told me that Jhoon Rhee started his 1st TKD school in Austin, Texas. It was a bawling hall and later on turned into a topless dancing bar. Since my school was next door of his old school, I have heard a lot of people talked about him that he emphasized a lot on "side kick".

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  8. Jepha

Jepha New Member

Yes, a story in our school is that he meet Bruce Lee and became friends. Bruce Lee taught Jhoon Rhee his one inch punch and Jhoon Rhee in return taught Bruce a perfect side kick. To this day we practice side kicks. We like to get super close to the target and shift our hips, pulling our knee and foot back away from the target creating space and delivering the side kick in a straight line. This is tricky at first but in combat is almost impossible to defend.

9. Razgriz

Razgriz Valued Member

I read somewhere that Jhoon taught Bruce his "3 kicks demo" ,Bruce performed it very soon after being taught it and Jhoon never did it in public again.

10. Jepha

Jepha New Member

Jhoon Rhee still comes into our classes about twice a year. He is one of the most humble people to meet. He seems to me to not brag or show off in anyway. In his youth he did more public demos and such but he dose mention their are some things he dose not like to show... I wonder if this is one of them. I may have to inquire. I do know that for a man in his 80's, he is still very flexible and deceptively powerful.

11. Razgriz

Razgriz Valued Member

Thats nice to have him close by. I cannot remember if it was from a post by TKDStudent or in a book, im leaning towards the latter.