Jesus, King Of The Jews?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Bassmonkey, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Bassmonkey

Bassmonkey Formerly Cobalt60

Hi There,

I have a religious question.

Now pardon my ignorance but isn't jesus refered to as the king of the jews?....Yet he is the messaih of the christian faith.

How can he be both? Or is the king of the 'jews' thing purely co-incidental.

Thankyou and again pardon my probable stupidity.

C60

2. stephenk

stephenk Valued Member

I don't know, but I didn't vote for him!

3. Cathain

Cathain Lily Lau Gar

There is a literal and a metaphysical answer to the question.
    The former will take less time so here it is - the title was given to him by the Romans. It was semi-mocking in nature.
    Jesus did not agree with the title explicitly, neither did the Jews accept it.
    In fact when asked about this they emphatically rejected him and said they had no king but Caesar.

4. pj_goober

pj_goober Valued Member

but Jesus was Jewish.

5. Bassmonkey

See.....still confused!

Hopefully some jewish or christian people will turn up to explain this.

6. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Yeah? Well you are English, but that doesn't make you the King of England, now does it??

7. Satsui_No_Hadou

Satsui_No_Hadou Ultra Valued Member

The words Christian and explain should never be in the same sentance. Unless the words preceeding explain are, "will not under any circumstances logically..."

8. pj_goober

pj_goober Valued Member

Yes, I was just pointing out that the OP was confused as to how Jesus could have been a Jew who founded Christianity, rather than where the "king of" came from.
    I think...

9. pj_goober

pj_goober Valued Member

My understanding of it is that Jesus was born a Jew, but didn't really like the message of the Old Testement (Torah) as, well frankly its a bit ****...

So he made up some nice stuff about all being nice to one another, and got mis-represented as a demi-god and revered for thousands of years.

10. Cathain

Cathain Lily Lau Gar

Jewish in what sense? Ethnic? Religious? Culturally?
    And are you referring to his corporeal form, his spiritual being or both?

11. CanuckMA

CanuckMA Valued Member

The title king was given by the Roman as a deragatory title.

Yes he was a Jew. No he did not meet the requirements for king.

12. Cathain

Cathain Lily Lau Gar

Well, maybe in the same way as a Hindu prince founded Buddhism?

13. pj_goober

pj_goober Valued Member

Jewish as in he was born to Semite parents.

i don't believe he was anything other than "just a man" so i'm not going to be getting into any debating the in-corporeal nature of Christ the son of god.

14. Cathain

Cathain Lily Lau Gar

The ancient Jews were expecting an earthly King who would overthrow the Romans and establish a supreme Jewish kingdom on earth.

Jesus was somewhat different from that ;)

15. pj_goober

pj_goober Valued Member

Exactly.

If anything Jesus (if he was even a real person) was in all probability trying to wean people off the omnipotent, irrational, vengeful, genocidal, downright nasty god of the of the OT...

Jesus was an atheist... :p

16. bwhite55

bwhite55 Valued Member

Jesus came to save all people. He came from the jewish line of the tribe of Judah. The Jews are God's people, and as the son of God, Jesus is the King of Jews. here are a couple things that Paul writes in some of his letters to the earlier churches.

But when the Jews opposed Paul and became abusive, he shook out his clothes in protest and said to them, "Your blood be on your own heads! I am clear of my responsibility. From now on I will go to the Gentiles."-Acts 18:6

9What shall we conclude then? Are we any better[a]? Not at all! We have already made the charge that Jews and Gentiles alike are all under sin. 10As it is written:
    "There is no one righteous, not even one-Rom 3:9-10

Is God the God of Jews only? Is he not the God of Gentiles too? Yes, of Gentiles too,-Rom 3:29

23What if he did this to make the riches of his glory known to the objects of his mercy, whom he prepared in advance for glory— 24even us, whom he also called, not only from the Jews but also from the Gentiles? 25As he says in Hosea:
    "I will call them 'my people' who are not my people;
    and I will call her 'my loved one' who is not my loved one,"-Rom 9:25(it references Hosea 2:23.)

that's the best way i can explain it. altho God's people are the Jews, we(i'm a Christian) can be "adopted" so to speak into God's family and become one of God's children by having faith that Christ is the messiah, the one way to Heaven, and trying to "take up the cross daily" and realize that this life is not our own.

i don't mean to get all christiany and spiritual w/ the religious talk, but thats pretty much what we've gotta do on a daily basis.

any more questions or anything you can pm me about it, or you can just post it. i just realized that there is a religious forum.

17. pj_goober

pj_goober Valued Member

and Satsui_No_Hadou is proved right!!

18. Cathain

Cathain Lily Lau Gar

Well, then yes he was a Jew in that context.
    But Christian is a religious term not an ethnic one, so I don't see a problem with that anymore than an ethnic/cultural Jew being an atheist, hindu or anything else.

It really just depends on which context you use the word "Jew"

19. pj_goober

pj_goober Valued Member

Not really. You'd really stuggle to think of a definition of the word which makes Jesus a Christian (unless he was the worlds worst narcisist.)

Jesus was Jewish in the same way that everyone else of semitic parentage living in Judea would have been at that time.
    He happened to be a pretty radical Jew who thought that being nice to one another was a good idea (orthodox judaism not being the most inclusive), he got idolised by a few people. a few hundred years later someone wrote a book about how he was the son of god, 1000 years later people were killing arabs in his name, 2000 years later we're starting to see the gaps.

20. Bassmonkey

Was JC even religious himself? IE Who taught him all about christianity? If he was born jewish then surely he would have been jewish religiously too?