Jerry Poteet's UK full instructor

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by tel, Oct 11, 2008.

1. tel

tel absorb what is useful for

Here is a clip of pete grills the only uk/ european full instructor under jerry poteet

[ame]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=myJio0Iu0nM[/ame]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2008
  2. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

I dont get it i just dont get it! disecting the corpse comes to mind,does anyone think Bruce Lee would be still doing Pak Sau,Lop sao,etc to a straight punch had he been alive now?(ok he would of been a older man but you know what i mean):)

3. JeetKuneDero

JeetKuneDero Valued Member

Okay, I'll play. What would Lee be doing were he around today, JKD wise, and say, 32 years of age? I mean other than the movies. JKD wise. And what sciences would he be involved in, etc? Why?

Look forward to your feedback FC. Peace.

4. Stevie Bhoy

Stevie Bhoy Valued Member

Through my research, it seems that Bruce had evolved where he had no need for trapping.

5. JeetKuneDero

JeetKuneDero Valued Member

FC, hope all's well with you. Listen, I was just thinking - what you are questioning is what Lee would've referred to as that guy's personal "manifestation" of his understanding, or not, of "the root of JKD."

“What we are after in JKD is the root and not the branches. The root is the real knowledge; the branches are surface knowledge. Real knowledge breeds “body feel” and personal expression. Surface knowledge breeds mechanical conditioning, imposes limitations, and squelches creativity.

The root is the fulcrum on which will rest the expression of your soul, the root is the ‘starting point’ of all natural manifestation. If the root is right, so, too, will be all of its manifestations” - Bruce Lee, "Commentraies On the Martial Way," p. 385, "The Root of JKD."

Still, aren't you unfairly comparing that guy's evolution to Lee's, to where Lee was?

Being that JKD is an art in which one is in "a constant state of evolving" and at one's own pace - that "changeless state of change" Lee referred to - perhaps that is where that guy is at in his own stage of evolution.

Then again, pehaps he was "taught" ("mechanical conditioning,") rather guided in how to "find" that "real knowledge" through his own individual "body feel."

It's often the case, even in JKD, that one is handed a fish (external technique) rather than shown how to find it from within.

Hey, pm me your email, I want to send you some thoughts on "Original" which I don't care to share on here. Take care, brother.

6. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

You know, trapping isn't a difficult skill set to get. For someone with a wider interest in martial arts, like Bruce, there's no 'moving on' from your knowledge, is there? You learn trapping to a reasonable standard, maintain the skill with a bit of maintenance practice every so often, then learn other stuff. I don't think there's any limit - I'm, almost 40 but I'm still constantly exploring new skill sets. I've never lost my trapping skills.

Bruce, Wang Xiang Zhai - all those old fighting minded people would obviously be highly interested in MMA, only codicil on that would be that they would also might have some focus on self defence specific skills that maybe more average athletes and every day folks could learn - not everyone is going to do MMA, but lots and lots of people who need some self defence can benefit from elements of knowledge that comes out of MMA and other fighting sets.

Should also say that cage fightet Sami Beric is a big fan of taiji and wingchun.

7. tel

hey, the thread is more about the poor level of jkd shown then what bruce would be doing, I think this kind of stuff gives jkd a bad name

8. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

It's very difficult to tell from that clip though, surely? Sometimes an advanced instructor finds himself teaching very basic stuff - my own coach was a race horse trainer asked to teach donkeys to give children's rides, ha ha.

I dunno - I'd have to see him do more to make a judgment. Even then, massive kudos if he's at least trying to be practical - a straight smack on the nose, etc. That really can help people in a self defence situation.

I don't think the wing chun trapping is pointless by any means - surely it's the 'aliveness' of the framework that its used in that counts?

9. pmadojo

pmadojo Valued Member

I was at the seminar where this video was filmed these are the best bits. The seminar was 4 hours long and we did about 4 techniques. If you want a real jerry poteet instructor check out octavio on youtube.

Ste

10. DaeHanL

DaeHanL FortuneCracker

i completely agree. not to say he wouldn't use if the situation for its use presented itself.

11. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

Fair enough -straight from the horse's mouth, as it were!

Yeah - I quite like that Octavio.

12. pmadojo

pmadojo Valued Member

I got to train with octavio when I was in Los Angeles. He is very humble and a really nice guy. I am hoping to convince to come over to the UK but it will step on other instructors toes (if you know what I mean)

I suppose though this video proves that even in jkd there are levels within levels.

Ste

13. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Hi Jeetkunedero,

Sorry bro been real busy setting a new gym up and just come back to this thread.

I really dont know what B Lee would be doing now at his age and state of development,however i would guess it would be more on a concentration/perception/looking inward type of training,as well as keeping himself in immense physical shape.

I really dont think im doing the guy on the clip a injustice,i mean you dont need to rub 2 sticks together to make a fire when you can see others lighting matches:).

I will PM you now as id love to hear your thoughts JKDero.:)

14. pmadojo

pmadojo Valued Member

15. Stuart Rider

Stuart Rider Valued Member

To be honest mate i would not worry about this. In all honesty there is plenty of room for instructors from the same association to be teaching seminars without "stepping on peoples toes" and if the other people are worried about other instructors coming along and possibly showing them up it just proves that

1 - they should not be holding the position / rank they do
    2 - they are insecure of their abilities and think their students will realise how poor an instructor they actually are.

16. tel

Hi Stuart,
    no2 is def true

17. pmadojo

pmadojo Valued Member

Couldnt agree more. Anyone who belives they no it all so doesnt train with anyone else and doesnt let there students train with anyone else is full of it.

Ste

18. JunFanJack

JunFanJack Valued Member

I've trained with Peter Grills, and he's a good teacher, please don't judge people by videos, you have to actually meet people to know what they're like. And you know what, all of this criticism probably means he's a good instructor, only post comments on criticizing some-one if you've actually met them, and even then, you shouldn't criticize, just walk on.

19. DaeHanL

DaeHanL FortuneCracker

jfjack,
    i call it a critique, not plain ol' criticism. ok- constructive criticism.
    I haven't spoken poorly about this guy, but i want to remind you we are all entitled to our opinions. I will let mine be known because this is a forum afterall.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2008
  20. pmadojo

pmadojo Valued Member

Hi Junfanjack

I have met and trained with Peter Grills. I have also trained with Sifu Jerrys american instructors and most of the UK ones. I havent bad mouthed Peter but have every right to after the lies and acussations he fired out at me.
    I resigned from Sifu Jerry's association due to this joker as did many of the other UK instructors at the time. If you want Sifu Jerrys JKD I suggest looking elsewhere as what this guy does and what Jerry does are nothing at all alike.

Ste